• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Need to re-power my 982 (dropped a cylinder on the Onan)

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good and bad news.
I got it running yesterday and even mowed with a for about 5 minutes. Parked it and celebrated.
buttrock.gif

This morning I was going to run it some more and noticed a puddle of oil under it.
angry.gif

On further inspection it was gas and oil mixture and it was still dripping from around the front PTO. I know we've discussed this before on the main board, but I forget what causes this. Is it a big problem?
1a_scratchhead.gif

I drained the oil and shut off the gas to prevent any more leakage.
I'll post some pics and maybe even a video in the morning. No wait, I have tomorrow off for hunting so it will be Tuesday.
Shotgun.gif

Worn needle and seat, pinhole in carb float, or torn diaphragm in the fuel pump will all cause that to happen.

Not a big deal, just figure out what happened, fix it, do an oil change, and you will be all set again.

I thought the grill was going to fit, but the muffler is in the way. What do you guys do?
Or can I loosen the engine up and move it?
Or maybe the grill housing?
Or do I need to just cut the one grill bar out?
300150.jpg

Hey guys. I took the afternoon off to work on this.
I see that this ground wire is off. I'm guessing it should be hooked up here. Would that have anything to do with my problem instead of the needle seat or what ever Matt said?
What is this ground wire for?
1a_scratchhead.gif

300154.jpg

300155.jpg

Ken S. I'd try and heat the muffler pipe and move it before I'd cut on a grill.

Kent,

That wire may be a fuel shut off solenoid. While a carb rebuild will help with the fuel leak down. Having that wire may help to. Although the it is curious that it ran while unhooked, so it may not even be functioning. Check to see if it has voltage when you turn the key. Did you wire it when you did the Mag swap?

As for the grill. Those mufflers must have had a a huge build tolerance. Mine ended up dead center behind the bar. Interestingly, my IH 782 grill doesn't have those intermediate bars. I had actually swapped that grill into the 2072. Then I ended up with a CCC grill and was going to put it in the 2072 but the bars hits the muffler. When I put it on the 782, it did the same thing. So I cut out the bar.

Kent-
Do you have a welder? (or know someone?)

I would just cut off that exhaust stub upstream, (just where it comes out of the muffler body) rotate it a bit so it is in the correct place, and weld it back on. Shouldn't be more than a 20-min job.

Nic,
That wire has always just been hanging there. It's a ground wire, but I never knew where it went until I took the air cleaner off yesterday.
I'll get a rebuild kit for the carb. any way, but I was just wondering what it did. Manual didn't have much to say.
Thanks.

Thanks for the input on the grill. I'll deal with that once I get the carb. fixed.

Put an adjustable KT17 carb on it. If it runs lean , drill the main jet the littlest bit. Much better off with the early adjustable carb......

Per Mag manual, top wire ground, bottom power, (+) voltage opens solenoid , lack of voltage closes.

Update:
After getting it back out for summer work.....I had it running fine one Friday and test mowed with it and the next day nothing.
bash.gif

So I think what I figured out with the help of Mr. Plow I have a very weak spark. So I have a new coil on order and it should be here soon. I hope to get the time to replace it and get it running again by the end of the month.

Steve,
On a couple posts down you mention putting on a KT-17 carb. Will that just "bolt right on with absolutely no mods"? Just wondering.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Yes, KT-17 carb is a direct bolt on....same same.

I have one on both my 18 and 20 hp Mags. (20hp is drilled ever so slightly.......anything over 3 turns out on the main jet is basically a fixed jet....)

Steve

to be honest, those extra bars in the grille were added to satisfy the safety police, if you get my drift. Older grilles never had them, then a major "recall" to save the children that would stick their tiny fingers into the openings and "burn" their hands. Digger would back me up on this from the old IH service bulletins too. it was a really big deal back in the day. The old 1066 look was gone but the safety nazis were happy

Jim,

The original 82 series grills had a mesh screen behind the large opening (same as 5088 radiator inlet). The screen caught grass clippings sucked up by the blower housing and caused them to pack on the inside of the grill. This caused a fire hazard and led to the recall. The replacement grill had the added bars but no screen......grass went through and little fingers didn't......problem solved!

I've cut several small bars over the years for muffler outlets. I'm with you, they are expendable!

Got the coil in yesterday and started in on the "fun". Yeah right. I'll try to keep you posted.
304475.jpg

304476.jpg

Steve,
With the boy in baseball and everything else that this time of year has me doing, I've been busier than a cat trying to cover $h!t on a marble floor.
err.gif

I'll get on it again soon.

Update:
Well we were having some scattered storms here in N.E. Indiana yesterday so I thought I would work on the "9".
I'm happy to say it is back up and running.
buttrock.gif

Thanks for all the encouragement!
305080.jpg

305081.jpg

Atay.....Video to follow. LOL

Latest posts

Back