• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Need to re-power my 982 (dropped a cylinder on the Onan)

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't tell if you have a fuel pump installed or not based on that picture. It is under the intake manifold on the left side of the engine, just behind the cylinder. The pump outlet connects to the carburetor and the pump inlet connects to the tank. If you don't have one, you need one if you'd like to use the last 1/3 of fuel in the tank ;)

Matt,
Here's a couple more pics. Sorry I can't get any better pics right now. (I'm at work)
shhh.gif

299228.jpg

299229.jpg

Looks like it has one, as it should if it came from a Cub. There should be a directional arrow on the fuel pump. I'd guess based on the hose lengths and the amount of dirt on one that the dirty one goes to the carburetor and the other one goes to the tank. If you read the Kohler service manual and look at the pictures in it, you should be able to figure out how to connect it properly.

I took the aftern off. After looking closer, I don't think I have a fuel pump. Can I use the one from the Onan?

It looks like you have a fuel pump. Look at your 782, it should be the same.

I'd make the assumption you don't have the pump. Because if you did, there would only be one loose hose there. Not 2.
Didn't your mag come out of a cyclops? If so, those pumps are mounted on the firewall, hence the long hose on the left not plugged into anything.

Bummer man, seems like it's one thing after another over there... Mr. Murphy must really like your 982.

If the Onan pump is vacuum operated, then yes, you can. My Mag20 powered 782 has a Briggs vacuum pump on it, cause I had it laying around when the Kohler pump died.

Bill: the 782 had a KT series engine which still use cam operated pumps. They are not the same.

Nic.
Yes I think you are correct. I'm gonna try to hook the Onan pump up.

I must of had an early Mag engine because it had the same fuel pump as the KT.

Now that I've gone back and read the archive of this thread, I don't think this engine has a mechanical fuel pump since it is from a 2082. That is from the era where the vacuum pumps were used. One of those lines is a vacuum line that is likely attached to a blockoff plate where the mechanical pump would go, and the other should connect to the carb.

The Magnums and KTs both use the same mechanical fuel pump, if equipped with one.

Update: I think I have everything hooked up except for the oil filter. I thought I was going to have it running this last weekend, but as I was getting the oil filter put on I realized that it won't fit like it did in the Cyclops.
So my question is: Can I get this adapter and put the filter right on the block like it shows in the manual? If so where do I get one? I'm still looking for a PTO too. (see classified section)
299282.jpg

299283.jpg

You can, but they are a mess to change and very hard to access that way.

Will it clear the air cleaner if you mount it high on the fire wall?

Otherwise, can you gently bend the lines for a mounting like an 1811, right behind the fire wall on the right side above the hyd cylinder?

Steve,
Hum.....can you show me pics? Or someone?
1a_scratchhead.gif

I found an adapter on <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font>, but they seem pricey.
I would rather have it mounted remotely like it was so it would be easy to get to.

After looking at it a while if I cut the sheet metal shroud so it kinda looks like the Onan, it wouldn't be so bad to change. Would it?

299286.jpg

So your freshly wash Mag20 looks a lot better than mine! Anyways, here pics from this morning.

Here's the factory 2072. Note the circle and where the hard lines to flex line coupler is located above the sheetmetal on the 72/82 series. I had an issue with the couplers putting the Cyclops Mag20 in the 782.

299303.jpg

Here is the Mag20 in the 782. A few things to note. The red circle is where the coupler ended up. Obviously I cannot slide it up the steel line further because the line is flared. Also note there is an obvious rub mark on the sheet metal where is was rubbing in the donor. The problem is, this coupler is too fat to fit between the engine and the side panel. So I can't run the side panel right now.

299304.jpg

Secondly, The oil filter has to be as high as possible above the frame rail in the yellow circle. Or again the side panel won't fit. I ended up slightly flaring out the bottom of my panel to get a "no-rub" condition. Ultimately I noticed the fuel tank in the 2072 is about a 1/2" higher then my 782, that would have given plenty of clearance on the 782, but I had already drilled the holes.

Here you can see where the 2 bolts holding the adapter come through the firewall, I had to drill these on my 782. It's also important to notice the 2072 firewall has a notch near the gas tank strap to allow the lines to go through when the side panel is on. I had to cut this into my 782 also.

299305.jpg

On both tractors, I have to loosen the 2 oil filter adapter bolts and slide the hole thing out to change the filter. It only takes a 2 minutes and because the adapter is slotted the bolts don't have to be removed. It also is nice because any oil that comes out when the filter is removed can be directed away from the tractor instead of running all over the frame. I feel you would have oil all inside your engine metal if you were to set it up like the Onan.

299306.jpg

Hopefully, my goal is to replace these old leaking cloth/steel lines with braided steel hoses and -AN fittings at both ends. And instead of running out the side of the panel, I'm going to run them up through the top of the panel where I have the green lines drawn. This should remove and rubbing and clearance issues.

It's worth noting that even though the 2072 has higher couplings, they still rub both the engine metal and side panel. So if it works on the 782, the 2072 will get the same treatment.

I also, wanted to note that the fuel pump bolted to your Onan is the same one as on my 2072. It will work great!

I also looked into my PTO stash. I'll send you an email soon.

Nic,
EXCELLENT!
buttrock.gif

All you guys on this forum are great!
I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
Thanks.

Good luck with the PTO search, that's a tough one.
Pattons has one for $300....I had to pass.

I have used Matt G's method of mounting nearly a half dozen '82 series/Magnum retrofits and it works really well. There is an open threaded hole on the intake runner that usually works about perfect for placement. When I need to change the filter, I crack it loose with a filter wrench while still bolted down, then I unbolt the bracket swing it away from the engine, finish removing the filter, and drain the excess oil into a bucket. IMHO it is a very clean way to do the whole procedure...

Hummm... Matt / Joshua,
I'll look into that. It does seem less messy.
I may do it later after I get it running. I already ordered some longer hoses, but I don't think they are that long.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back