• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Need to re-power my 982 (dropped a cylinder on the Onan)

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm ready to fire it up. I would've tried last night, but I was using some "cool tools" and didn't want to forget anything, so I decided to wait until Saturday. I need to dump some oil in it and hopefully it will run. Here's a few pics.
My only concern is that the oil lines touch the side panel. I guess I'll put some thin foam around them to help wear.
299562.jpg

299563.jpg

And the hood is back on.
buttrock.gif

299564.jpg

Oh and one last thing. I still need a PTO.
Does anyone know what the part number is that I need? Thanks.

Good to see that thing back together! Good luck on your PTO search. Once it is up and running, you'll have to make a video and post a link here. That thing sure looks sharp

PTO clutch for Cub Cadet 2072
OEM # 717-3043 or 917-3043

Best I found on the interweb was $530 new / $300 used.

They can be rebuilt....if you have a bad one.

I'm assuming yours is 1 1/4" Crank Shaft?
Some are 1 1/8" from what I hear...much easier to find and available aftermarket.
Nobody is offering the 1 1/4" aftermarket.
It got to the point where I was ready to pull the crank and get it turned.
Good Luck!

Rick,
Thanks. I'll check the size of the shaft today.
Heck I would even be OK with one that has a bad bearing. It just needs to be complete. I rebuilt the one on the Onan and it was pretty easy and cheap compared to a new one.

ALL of the remote lines lay on the side panel....nature of the beast.....

Bearings can be replaced in the 1-1/4" clutch if you find a used one with a bad bearing (easy fix).

I have never tried to convert an 1-1/8" 782 clutch, but suppose you could look into it.....

Steve,
782 clutch? Heck, I might have one of those laying around. What would I have to do? Get a different bearing?
1a_scratchhead.gif

I did a quick look on my lunch break and I can't find that 782 pto to save my @$$. I'll look more later.
I did measure the shaft and it is 1 1/8". So I guess that's good news.

IIRC, 1-1/8" clutch is same as 782.....

Shultzie-looking good how did it run?

On a similar but somewhat related topic, is there any way to tell a MAG18 from a MAG20 engine besides the aircleaner? PTO shaft size? Any other discerning external differences?

Longer stroke means a bump out on the head sheet metal where it meets the flywheel shroud. 17 and 18 hp are straight. 20 hp offsets about 3/4".

Mag 18, notice straight transition from blower shroud to head sheetmetal.

299642.jpg

Mag 20, pronounced step at transition due to longer stroke.

299643.jpg

Did you find that PTO you had? I was really hoping to see some action shots of your 9 doing the final mow of the year.

Nic,
Nah, I must have sold it to one of you guys on the forum.
angry.gif

I did get another one from a popular web based auction site. It should be here today.
I have some minor things I need to finish up on, like dressing up the wiring, finish mounting the oil filter, and putting on the sheet metal shrouds after I get the PTO on.
I need to unhook the throttle cable and figure that out. I think it's on backwards.
1a_scratchhead.gif

I'm sure I'll have more questions so stay tuned, but I did want to give a big THANK-YOU to all.
thumbsup.gif

Steve B. or anyone.
Can you please show me a couple pictures of the engine shrouds on the M-20 from the front?
Thanks!

Art.
I know I'll get a video soon.

Exactly like a 682/782, only about 3/4" wider. Attachments are all the same as the KT17/M18

OK. Cool. I guess I just have to look about 3 feet away and look at my 782.
facepalm.gif
Duh.

Back