• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Need to re-power my 982 (dropped a cylinder on the Onan)

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on the "9".
I've had it back home now for about a week. For the first week I unhooked the battery and removed the side shields. Yeah, I know. Real progress.
Well last night I tore into it.
298441.jpg

298442.jpg

298443.jpg

I can't work on it every night so it'll take longer than I like. My goal it to mow with it before the leaves come down.
err.gif

Kent,

If you have not done so, I would pull the starter off the Mag 20 and give it a once over. At a minimum clean and re-lube, nothing worse than having the chance to do so and later wishing you had. I would lean toward full disassembly and replace worn parts.

My Mag 18 starter does not like to work after sitting for winter or much less a few weeks. Not much you can do to it when the engine is in the tractor.

But you can pull a Mag starter without removing the engine from the frame.....

Hi guys,
Hey, I'm getting ready to put the 20 Mag. in and I just realized that the drive shaft hook up is different. The one from the cyclops is a splined shaft and the other has just a hole for a spiral pin.
Was I supposed to get the drive shaft from the cyclops too?
1a_scratchhead.gif

I'm a little confused! I have installed several Mag motors in older '82 series. You can install the engine with the original drive shaft and hook up or you can change the hydro to the splined input shaft and the CV joint driveshaft (a HUGE improvement IMHO over the double rag setup) to that. My 1772 got upgraded to the CV driveshaft about 4 years ago. My input shaft was splined but the end of the shaft wasn't drilled or tapped for the 1/4" bolt. After I did that I could install the CV driveshaft.

So, are you switching hydros or is there a splined end on the Onan side of the driveshaft that I'm not aware of???

This is the set up for the Mag 20.
298607.jpg

The original has the rag joint. The bolt pattern and size are different.
Is there correct set up for the rag joint or should I get the splined drive shaft. Will the drive shaft from the cyclops even fit? Or is there different options.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Soooooo, the one one the left is from the original Onan and the one on the right is from the donar Kohler Mag. 20. What do I do now? Any ideas?
1a_scratchhead.gif
snacks.gif

298654.jpg

Kent, I re powered one of my 982's with a Mag 18. I used the original 982 drive shaft. From the looks of it, you should be able to bolt the engine in the 982 chassis using the mounting plate it came on. You will need the flange that bolts to the hub on the flywheel from a 1810/11 682/782 etc. My mag 18 bolted right in and the drive shaft lined up perfect. My engine was a "non Cub Cadet" engine originally, and I used a blown up engine from a 1810 to get the shrouds, muffler, pto, etc.

Kent--I have never switched from an Onan to a Mag as several guys on here have done. They would have to tell you about the bracket change needed for attachment to the flywheel. Looking at the picture, all you need is the metal bracket that has a bushing in the center to support the driveshaft. That bracket has two holes on the outer part through which you place carriage bolts to attach to the rag joint. Hopefully Kraig can help with a picture. That would be the simplest conversion. If you have access to the rest of the CV joint driveshaft and splined hydro, you could change all that--much more work though.

If you get that adapter bracket for the front tag joint to the mag engine, you should be set...

Kent--did a little research on the parts look up above for 1872 and found these pics.

298666.jpg

298667.jpg

The first one shows the parts diagram. You need part #13. The second is a picture of the actual part. It appears to still be available new at about $22. These pictures will better explain what I spent most of the last post trying to describe! I hope this helps.

Looks like a deal to me...

Josh,
Thanks for doing the parts look up.
I just did a parts look up also because I think I that the part for the Kohler and the part for the Onan would have a different bolt size and pattern.
So after looking up the 1872 and the 982 I came up with two different part numbers.
for the 1872 it's #703-0204
and for the 982 it's #703-0231
1a_scratchhead.gif

Kent,

I'm confused as to why the 4 allen head bolts in the Cyclops piece do not line up with the 4 holes on the Mag hub. But since you do not have the Cyclops drive shaft it doesn't really matter. Keep in mind that the donor CV driveshaft for that to work would have to come from a Super because of the extra length.
For what it's worth, Here's what the end of a CV driveshaft looks like from an 1864 sitting in my shop.
298681.jpg

It's supposed to be all shiny and chrome looking, but it's covered in grease and dirt. And the bolts should be pointing from the driveshaft to the engine (they are backwards right now.

Anyways... You need this:
298682.jpg

It is a spare piece I have. And it's for sale! I don't think you need the whole hub. just the plate. Let me know if you don't end up buying a brand new one.
(BTW) this came off an IH 782 with a Series 2 KT17. so it should bolt right in place on a 982.

Nic,
The way I understand it I need what you have in the lower pic.
This is what I have.
This is from the Onan.
298686.jpg

And this is what the Mag 20 looks like.
298687.jpg

The bolt pattern is different on the two engines and a different size.
So am I right by saying I need what you have in the lower pic?

Kent,
If the hole spacing is different, then yes, you need the Kohler piece shown in my second pic.

Just out of curiousity, your pic is a little dark, but is there a second set of holes in that Onan part? Do they line up with the Mag hub?

If not, I sent ya an email.

It doesn't suprise me that the hole spacing is different. We have put some twin cylinder Briggs in a few pullers and they need a specific hub adapter to bolt to the drive hub because the B&S flywheel has a different spacing than Kohler too.

Looks right at home in there. Much more comfy than that expensive old Onan... Cubs were born to have Kohlers.

Thanks Nic.
Well I worked on it a little bit last night. I think I can get the wiring all hooked up this week end, but I just got to looking at the fuel lines.
I'm I missing the fuel pump or is it on the engine? Unfortunately I had help unhooking the Mag. 20, so I'm not sure about that part. I wish I would have done it myself.
So which fuel line do I hook up to or am I missing something?
1a_scratchhead.gif
Thanks!
299224.jpg

Latest posts

Back