My RANT!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DBW=drive by wire !
coffee.gif

Kraig: That's kinda the answer I was looking for. I've asked several (close to me) people about this and none of them has responded "reach for the key" "shut'er down". They say "I'll lose my steering". Maybe Toyota will spawn a new generation of drivers' ed teachers? \clipart
{dunno}
Don T. I'm here 'til ten when I have to roust Jeanne out to do an 11pm to 6am shift on the scales.
moon.gif

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" Now I would not follow your instructions. I would down shift the std trans down to say 3rd and the shut off the switch. as the compression slows the vehicle I would still have steering and brakes !
coffee.gif

Do all ignition switches have a first step after unlocking in which power is off, but column is unlocked?? I know our Fords do, but not sure if all Mfrs are like that. If you had to lock the column to shut off the engine, I'd rather put it in neutral, coast to a stop and let the engine blow...

BTW - every Ford Explorer we've had has come with hooks for keeping the OEM mats back away from the accelerator, but I've had several instances with the deep "mud catcher" aftermarket mats jamming the accelerator WOT - of course this involved the gas pedal being mashed to the floor in the first place. The only time this got me in trouble was when I goosed the Sportrac in the drive (on ice) and put it over the snow bank on the edge of the drive (high centered). The NDN's Allis CA with loaded tires and chains couldn't budge it because of the solid ice in the drive - it took a 4x4 F250 with a tugger strap at least three running start tugs to uncenter it...NTSB never mentions that this floor mat problem has been around for a long time and isn't brand centric.

As for the FBW - people ask why I don't like to fly - I tell 'em I've been around electronics and vehicle maintenance all my life...bad mix - I want to be able to step out of the vehicle ON THE GROUND immediately after it quits without the falling out of the sky crap..
clappy.gif
clappy.gif

Aren't all these Toyotas automatics? Haven't we "progressed" to the point that noone buys a standard anymore? Can you find a kid that knows what "3-on-the tree" means? WTF a CLUTCH?
old.gif

Kendell Ide
You see I know this can be done. While in stalling a new four barrel car I some how put the return spring in the wrong location. As soon as I mashed the petal she was away side ways(1969 Firebird formula 400 bb ). I just shut the switch off to get it back in the right direction. I would say on all the Cars that I ever drove you could stop the engine without the steering wheel locking.A Jeep can be towed with the key in your hand.right Frank

Frank:
Well, I do - my personal rides include a '98 Ranger 5 speed, a 2004 VStar 5 speed, a '58 Cushman Truckster 3 speed and a '56 Cushman Eagle 2 speed. (I even have a '99 Cannondale Mountain bike thats an 18 speed...) The better half has had the string of Explorers automatics, but she really preferred her Jeep Cherokee Sport 5 speed...I taught all of my kids how to drive standard shifts and they still speak to me
clappy.gif

How would Steering, with electric power steering (used on some new cars), be affected by the panic ignition shutdown? Maybe battery would maintain power?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Bunch of BH !
Pull out a 500 S&W and blow out the backside the engine !!
Leave the key in the "on" position so ya don't loose yer tunes ...

I think ya'll got away from a RANT to a babbling

This reminds me of a boating story from last summer. The water pump on our 50hp outboard was acting up. To get to it, you need to remove the lower unit of the motor.

The Factory Service Manual (all 400 pages of it!) was vague on putting it back together. I got the new water pump impeller and housing back in just fine, but there is a shift-linkage that needs to be put rejoined as you're reinstalling the lower unit. What the manual DIDN'T say is how to join that linkage "correctly".

I get the motor all put together, and run the boat down to the marina to give it a test run. It was a quiet day on the river, so I slid the boat off the trailer, beached it, and parked the truck.

When I came back to the beached boat, I put the key in the ignition and gave it a few cranks. It didn't fire up, so I added "some" throttle and tried again........

In an instant the motor sprung to life (at about half of it's 8K redline) and launched itself about 10' onto the beach!
blush.gif
Luckily I had the forethought to put the wrist-safety-tether on because as soon as the boat got about 3 feet away the tether broke away and shut down the motor.

I imagine the look my my face was pretty funny as I'm standing there with a red wrist tether dangling from my left arm with a "WTH???" look on my face and a boat beached HARD...
clappy.gif

Art, you should do this kinda stuff when I'm around WITH my video camera...
whistling.gif

... they might put some numbers on his paycheck instead of just zeros ...

Good to hear from the "grump" (500 S&W is good for any toyoto).

OK, I know lawyers can be a help in many situations. But these clowns take the cake!
I got a notice from some 'Consuling svc' out of Minneapolis today about a class action suit that I am/can be involved in. It is in reference to gas engines mfg. by B+S, Tecumseh, Kawasaki, Honda or Kohler and every one that sold equipment that used these engines<font size="-2">(isn't that all of them?)</font>. The suit states that I could get upto $35 for a walkbehind or $75 for a rider. This is for all engines mfg from 1994 to present.
What is the suit about...?
"Defendents misrepresented and overstated the horsepower of their lawn mowers and mower engines" DUH! ! !
Guess only lawyers got stones big enough to run this deal thru a court.
confused.gif

A guy I worked for back in the 90s bought a DH air compressor. One day he got a post card in the mail that sounded real similar to what you just wrote, except it was about the rating of the electric motor. No cash changed hands, they offered lengths of air hose and pnumatic cut offs.

Actually, Thanks for the heads up!! Not sure when there'll be a payout, but I've got a kwacker on my Scag ZTR, might as well collect if I can.. Too bad I can't collect for the 18 horse Vanguard on the Cushman Eagle (maybe If I took a picture of it dragging an old reel mower around the yard ..)
lol.gif

I got my notice in the mail today for my 2166. Guess I'll sign up for mine.
I told my buddy about it but he said it wasn't worth fooling with for his Huskee. I told him that'd be $75 for buyin' ammo ! (That'd about cover what we shot up this evening !)

Latest posts

Back