My NEW 782D

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgonitzke

displayname
Matt Gonitzke
Rick W.-

You were pretty close, I found a loose spade terminal on the relay, having fixed that it works great now, I mowed for about 25 minutes. It seemed to be running a bit warm, though, about a needle's-width below the upper limit of the operating temp range. Is this normal?

Well, I was able to mow with it for a little while...until it lugged down and died. I was able to restart it instantly, and go for awhile and then it did it again, and again, with less time between episodes as it progressed. I'm thinking maybe some crap in the tank got shaken loose and moved on to one of the fuel filters and plugged it...so I'm thinking of replacing both fuel filters and all the fuel lines. Anything else I should do while I'm in there?

Matt, there is a screen in the fuel outlet fitting in the bottom of the fuel tank that gets plugged up. I popped the fitting out and put a plug in the rubber grommet, approx a quarter inch hole. Then used brake clean to clean it and reinstalled. Hope this helps.

FYI, the sticker on the valve cover pretty much said use 10-30, so nothing new there.

Matt:

It shouldn't run that hot. Mine runs with the needle in the middle more or less. I wonder what your thermostat looks like?

Matt G: Sounds like a combination of things.

1) Radiator not full of coolant. Fill to lip in the filler neck.
2) Dirty/clogged radiator core (cleaned it lately?? CAUTION: do NOT use caustic based cleaners..they will eat your alumininum core).
3) Dirty/clogged radiator screen. Must be taken out & cleaned regularly.
4) Failure to install the grass deflector as prescribed in CCC Service Bulletin 069 of 19 August 1985. The deflector reduces grass clippings clogging of the screen.

All the above individually or combinations are causes of over heating of the 782D,882,1512, etc.

Myron B

gezzz "THE GREAT OIL DEBATE" on smokers!!!!!!! Rotella T 15-40 is all that I put in any smoker that I have to service doesn't matter how many lungs it has cause it is a smoker and then I change it every 100 hrs or once a year filter included, doesn't matter oil and filter are cheap insurance against an engine failure!!!

I guess I should have mentioned I fixed the overheating by adding some more coolant. It was below the top of the cores. Now it seems to stay more or less in the middle. What's this "grass deflector", I don't know if I have that or not.

Matt G:
56370.jpg

Myron:

Never seen one of those before, kind of a funny looking rig. I've always just pulled the screen and hit it with the compressor.

Matt:

Good to hear, I like easy fixes!

Hugh:

I run 15-40 in mine too, I'm even breaking in my rebuild on 15-40. Never complained in the past...

I think I found the problem with the fuel system. The screen on the shutoff valve was completely blocked. The fuel wouldn't even drain out, I had to siphon it. Hopefully tonight I'll get it back together with new fuel filters and lines. I've also got to replace the front spirol pin in the driveshaft.

On a totally different subject, did 782D's come from the factory with the disconnect clutch on the driveshaft, or was that a later add-on? Mine has one, but I'm wondering if they were all that way.

Update: The fuel system is all back together, and it now has 2.5 gallons of fresh diesel treated with anti-gel additive in it, along with new filters and lines. It started and ran fine, so tomorrow I'll fix the driveshaft spirol pin and hopefully be able to mow the whole lawn with it.

Matt G: A Hydro Disconnect Clutch was available during the QL series as a Dealer installed option. I have an Operator/Installation Instruction manual.

Myron B

Looks like I got everything fixed now. I put on 2.5 trouble-free hours yesterday and got it washed and waxed. Looks much better now, the paint is in better shape than I thought.

I just lost the spiral pin on the pump last Sunday. I happened to be crossing the road and wouldn't you know the second I got to the center it let go. They don't push easy but when you need to they will move!

I figured that I would also replace the cast coupler while I was at it since it was a bit loose on the shaft. When the parts man told me that I wasn't going to like the price I knew I was in trouble. $85.00 before tax! I guess they're made of gold! :p

I ended up using the old one and if it get worse I might look into drilling it out and installing a bushing.

Besides that my 1512D has been humming along, 6 hours so far...

Matt, my 782D would spit spirol pins too. Just run a thin "safety" wire thru the spirol pin, tie it and the spirol pin should stay put. I have been going through all my Cubs doing this. Good insurance.

Years ago someone said they used a radiator hose clamp around the pin, I like the wire idea better.
56713.gif

KENtucky, I do believe that the hose clamp tip was for around the SOLID pin at the front end of the driveshaft on a narrow frame Hydro.
dunno.gif

The safety wire through the spirol pin is a good idea though.
happy.gif

Yep now that ya mention it ... so what's yer point ? You trying to say I'm getting old and forgetful Art ?

KENtucky, who you calling Art?
dunno.gif
coffee.gif
No need for me to say you're old and forgetful.
old.gif
What was it we were talking about?
clown.gif

Kraig-
It's OK, Ken just doesn't like that hose-clamp trick because he's too cheap to buy a new one, so he'd have to steal one off his old lady's washing machine to fix his cub!
construction.gif

Latest posts

Back