• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Shorted electrical system, melted negative terminal clamp going uphill

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylorbirkey

displayname
Taylor
I just joined this forum, having recently purchased my first-ever tractor, a used 2048 Super Garden Tractor from my great uncle Kelly. I was nearing the end of my first mow with the tractor (about 2 acres) and driving up the slope on the back half of the property when BAM! sparks explode out from under the hood and the tractor dies.
IMG_2589 2.jpeg

I quickly cut the steering wheel, noticing the entire steering column/tilt assy is now loose from its locked position, and get the rig perpendicular to the hill to stop it. What just happened?!

A look under the hood reveals a completely melted negative cable clamp.
IMG_2605.jpeg

What the heck?! After scratching my head for a few minutes it dawned on me that the battery itself is loose inside the engine compartment, the battery hold-down having long since rusted/broken off. As I'm driving up this hill, the battery slides backward toward the dash and the positive terminal touches the clevis pin/torsion spring that help hold the steering column in its tilt. There's the reason for the short, and the loss of steering tilt assembly!

Luckily I had an extra battery clamp, so I rebuilt it and got the negative hooked back up. Bungee corded and electrical taped the battery in place so it wouldn't slide, and finished the mow!

I feel like I passed my first test. Now ... I've got to figure out how to resecure my steering given the parts that got destroyed are no longer available (#s 12, 13, 14 below).
Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 10.30.39 AM.png

12 - 732-3064 Torsion Spr
13 - 714-0104 Cotter Pin
14 - 911-3295 Clevis Pin

A torsion spring, clevis and cotter pin shouldn't be hard to source, right?!

Welcome to the forum!
If CCSpecialties (Charlie) don't have the parts (which is rare), he can tell you where you can get them. Just click on the icon at the top of the page.

Back