• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My 71 refurbished!!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsminkey

displayname
Jude Sminkey
Here's my 65' 71 that I got done refurbishing a few weeks ago! I love this tractor, it was my snowthrowin machine last winter with a restored CC36 thrower. I got all the parts I needed and a NOS dash decal from [email protected]. Thanks Charlie!! It did fantastic and I had a good bit of fun movin alot of snow. I'm putting a Danco RD1000 loader on it as soon as I get done restoring it. Also putting a Hydro Unit and rear box blade on it eventually. I have to drill the frame though, as my 71 is early enough to not have the holes in it for the Hydro Unit. I kinda don't want to put any holes in it.

227585.jpg

227586.jpg

Jude, you realize all the 7 horse tractors are what they call narrow tunnel tractors. Drilling a hole isn't going to do it. You'd have to take out a section.

Jude,
SAWEEEEET! Looks like a book cover photo!
Dave, I think he talking about Hydro lift option (I think???)

By Tom Hoffman (Thoffman) on Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 10:11 pm:

Jude,
SAWEEEEET! Looks like a book cover photo!
Dave, I think he talking about Hydro lift option (I think???)

Thanks Tom!! Sweet compliment! You're correct on the Hydro. I have a restored NF Hydro Unit that I'll install for the rear lift and #40 box blade. Will replace the IH weightbox. Hope to have the Danco loader done in a couple weeks, we'll see. Pic of my newly acquired 72 and the 71.

227608.jpg

227609.jpg

Awesome 71!!! wow that tractor is an inspiration for me to get my butt i gear and completely finish my 70!!! Great Job!!

Thanks Craig! She was alot of work, but a labor of love! Can't wait to get it finished with the loader so I can take it to a show!! The boxes on the rear are IH utility boxes. Started as an option on the 70/100's I believe.

227687.jpg

Jude, actually the utility box was introduced in 1963 for the Original. Here's a couple of excerpts from the 1963 Parts and Accessories catalog and the 1964 Parts and Accessories catalog.

By the way, Very nice Cubs!
greenthumb.gif

227694.jpg

227695.jpg

227696.jpg

227697.jpg

Never was a big fan of the rear boxes. I can't imagine having that filled with wet sand, it would fold up in a heartbeat.

Thanks Kraig! For the excerpts and the compliment!! I want to put a utility box and duals on one of my O's, so I'm glad that it was offered on the 63' O' as an option. Thanks again!

Jude, what route did you take when it came to paint? Did you use quarts and a spray gun? Did you use IH brand paint or something else?

Craig, this is the major reason I call this a refurb rather than a restoration. I used rattle can to do the whole tractor. Rust Oleum 209715 is the yellow I used. It's "old caterpillar yellow" and is the closest match to IH that I could find. 6-15oz cans for $35 sure beats $15/can of cub cadet rattle and there only 12oz cans. The white is Rust Oleum Almond. When I get setup with air & gun I'll take the 71 apart again and give it the "restoration" it really deserves. Only thing clear coated is the S/G.

Jude-
You know, people may hate on rattle cans but if you know what you are doing and do the right paint prep, you can do a nice job. My refurb was rattle can too and both of our paint jobs look pretty good....

Sadly I fell in the cub cadet rattle can trap and paid way too much for the paint. It started by me just getting lucky and finding some Cub paint for only $10 a can but there was only two left. I used those to start the project and when I ran out I was afraid to try and match with any others especially because it was new paint. Soooo, when I went to go buy more I ended up pay $20 a can!!!!! And the quality of paint in my opinion compared to other cheaper cans is nowhere near as good.

I did use a different brand for the off-white. I used "Van-Sickle" (out of Lincoln, NE) Spray Paint which I was extremely happy with and it was under $5 a can plus it is fairly readily available. The Van-Sickle paint says "IH off-white" on the can and they even have Cub Cadet Yellow. I haven't tried the yellow yet so I cant really vouch for its color accuracy. The con to the Van-Sickle paint is it is really slow drying! I didn't realize how slow it was going to dry so, when I hung the hood to paint it, it was too close to the area where I was going to paint other parts a different color. Well to avoid the over-spray I tried to move it and hang it up somewhere else. In my attempt to a two man job by myself I dropped the freshly primed and painted hood in the grass!! This actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise. If you look in the picture of the cub in the back of my pickup truck on my post, you can see how the hood was badly dented in front. Once the paint job was ruined I called my buddy and he did the body work on it and made look like new. Then I re-Painted it. (I know its a long story but I know I don't mind to hear from time to time about someone elses screw up so I don't feel so stupid lol) But the pro to the slow drying paint is it is an industrial and implement oil based paint that hardens really well and so far has been way more scratch resistant and heavy duty compared to the crappy MTD made IH Cub Cadet Yellow. Whooo, that was a lot... Ive had only one Cub for like two months and Ive already got too much to talk about lol.

Jude-
On your 71 did you use just regular black rattle cans to spray your foot rests?

First of all Craig, how have you gone 2 months without getting your 2nd cub??
1a_scratchhead.gif
. I think I made it a month then saw the 71 listed on CL, had to have it. Sold my mountain bike dirt cheap so I could go get it! I think I have it under control now since I have 2 O's, a 70 coming,71,72,73. A 100 would be nice to as I'm a round fender nut, but love the 7 hp's too. I used Rust Oleum black primer and gloss black spray. As long as you let the parts cure for a couple weeks the finish will hold up well.

I've finally got the hydraulic pump and reservoir on the 71 tonight!! The Danco RD1000 loader is made specifically for the 70 & 100. I didn't know this till I went to bolt up pump and found out the reservoir hits the grill casting
angry.gif
. So I had to do some fabrication on the brackets and drilled a new hole up through the frame and grill casting. Now there are 3 bolts on each side holding the casting to the frame, instead of the 2. Plenty more pics to come as I finish it!!

227854.jpg

227855.jpg

Tractor is looking great Jude!! And I have had my eye out for other cubs ever since I got my 70. So dont think for a second that I haven't wanted another one or two!! lol And the reason I asked about the foot rest is, I used spray-on-bed-liner for mine and it turned out very nicely. I really was pleased with how fast it cured and held up. It is also paint-able so you could even do the inside of you box and then paint it back yellow and you would have a lot protection. Just an idea....

Thanks Craig and Marlin!! Not a bad idea on the box,may have to try that out.

Made some progress in the past week. Got the side frame and lift assembly back from repairs. Put primer and paint on those, just got paint on lift assembly today. Had fender brackets custom made so I could run the fenders with the loader. Also had them fab the front bumper and will have them do the cross tie that's missing too. The stock fender brackets are 4", there is also a 5" bracket but that still was not enough clearance. I needed 5-3/4" so I had to have some made. Dropped the stuff off yesterday and they had the 2 brackets and bumper done at lunchtime today!! Awesome service and very reasonable $$. Put primer and paint on brackets and mounted up the left side frame tonight! Will mount up right tomorrow and then focus on bumper mounting. Will have Danco decal proofs to examine on monday, the final touch, will be a sweet day when I'm puttin those on!!

228812.jpg

228813.jpg

228814.jpg

228815.jpg

Jude S. Absolutely fantastic progress. Keep the pictures coming and don't forget to hit ENTER after each picture is loaded.

228825.gif

Back