• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My Free Compressor

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad McGowan

IHCC Supporter
My mother had a 2 stage air compressor that would no longer run that she gave to me. The only way I could move it by myself was to pull the motor and the compressor off. Everything came apart with no issues and I brought it home. Took the motor to a local shop near me, it was a simple fix and 53.00 later I was on my way with the motor. The whole unit was coated with a layer of oil and dirt so I placed it in my heated shop for cleanup. This morning when moving the tank around I could hear something clunking around inside it. I put the tank up on blocks so that I could get a pan under it and pulled the bottom plug. I had to poke a whole in the crud at the bottom at which point I started a stream of water that added up to 7 gallons of moisture. 14 hours later the ice cube inside the tank is still melting. My mother who is 86 years old used that compressor for 21 years and never once drained the moisture off, said she was not aware that it should be done. The compressor was always set to automatically run when the pressure got low enough, you can only imagine how many times it cycled before the motor gave out.

IMG_20210815_124701803.jpg
IMG_20220119_131726991.jpg

That looks like a Quincy QT model they are great pumps and you want to order a head gasket set and change the pressure relief valves for safety, clean the reed valves and check for sealing on them clean out all lines you got a high dollar set there SIR !!!! I got lucky and got a compressor from a dry cleaning shop that failed and had a new one coming and gave to me for removing the old one (freebie) !!!! Still waiting on a new pulley for gas engine !!!!

Attachments

• B0041C0F-88E9-4600-8475-84E45DDB2F67.jpeg
    B0041C0F-88E9-4600-8475-84E45DDB2F67.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 87
My mother had a 2 stage air compressor that would no longer run that she gave to me. The only way I could move it by myself was to pull the motor and the compressor off. Everything came apart with no issues and I brought it home. Took the motor to a local shop near me, it was a simple fix and 53.00 later I was on my way with the motor. The whole unit was coated with a layer of oil and dirt so I placed it in my heated shop for cleanup. This morning when moving the tank around I could hear something clunking around inside it. I put the tank up on blocks so that I could get a pan under it and pulled the bottom plug. I had to poke a whole in the crud at the bottom at which point I started a stream of water that added up to 7 gallons of moisture. 14 hours later the ice cube inside the tank is still melting. My mother who is 86 years old used that compressor for 21 years and never once drained the moisture off, said she was not aware that it should be done. The compressor was always set to automatically run when the pressure got low enough, you can only imagine how many times it cycled before the motor gave out.

View attachment 147535 View attachment 147536
Nice score!

I would be very cautious about using that tank. That amount of water accumulation plus being in freezing conditions can cause both internal rusting and stress in the metal. Could be a potential bomb when pumped up to pressure.
You’ll have to hydro test the tank, there is an equation to figure the psi to test one, to see if it will pass 200 psi, hydro test to see if it will fail a safe psi test to run at 175 psi or not other than that you’ll have to sonic sound test for thickness on it !!!! I all ways use propane tanks with a wet and dry line bottom vent lines !!!! They are very thick and rated to 1500 psi !

If you decide to get it hydro tested safely and correctly, look for a local fire extinguisher maintenance company. They will test and date stamp faster and cheaper than the welding gas companies. In the PA area Fyr Fyter is popular. The last one I had done was a 30 gallon tank which cost me $20. The welding gas co. wanted $50.

If you decide to get it hydro tested safely and correctly, look for a local fire extinguisher maintenance company. They will test and date stamp faster and cheaper than the welding gas companies. In the PA area Fyr Fyter is popular. The last one I had done was a 30 gallon tank which cost me $20. The welding gas co. wanted $50.
That is good to know, I do not know how large a tank the fire extinguisher folks can handle but I will find out. Thanks!

IMHO, that is a C-Aire compressor. Both my son and I have C-Aire 80 gallon compressors. Quality workmanship, and practically bulletproof... but maybe not rustproof.

If it turns out the tank is safe, you'll love this thing. I believe the the pump was made in Italy, and is a good unit. Was the oil ever changed in it?

In any case, THANK your Mom..... and visit her often... That'll be the best gift you can give her!

Having grown up in the dry western half of the country, it still amazes me how much havoc ambient humidity can wreak.
A lot of condensation is made from the temp change from hot to cold differential changes and it forms in all closed cases always, if it has air inside. Fuel tanks, engine case, transmissions, rearend differentials, even a closed area like a cooling system with the small air cavity in it !!!!

not to be a downer, but i personally don't like messing with those old compressors, especially if they have not been drained. you would not believe the damage they can do when they blow. theres videos out there if it happening and it has killed people and blown down concrete walls. if i were to use one of those, i'd make sure it was outside and inside of some enclosure. still not too kosher but definitely better than just sitting in a shop.

A lot of condensation is made from the temp change from hot to cold differential changes and it forms in all closed cases always, if it has air inside. Fuel tanks, engine case, transmissions, rearend differentials, even a closed area like a cooling system with the small air cavity in it !!!!

Attachments

• FE1F4F9D-C82A-4B1E-8CE7-9A3C235B6740.png
    FE1F4F9D-C82A-4B1E-8CE7-9A3C235B6740.png
    727.8 KB · Views: 0
not to be a downer, but i personally don't like messing with those old compressors, especially if they have not been drained. you would not believe the damage they can do when they blow. theres videos out there if it happening and it has killed people and blown down concrete walls. if i were to use one of those, i'd make sure it was outside and inside of some enclosure. still not too kosher but definitely better than just sitting in a shop.
I just fill with water and then take air pressure to 480 lbs and test from a distance in a pasture, and they are safe to a 150 for sure !!!!

Most of the temperature change in this case is from the actual compression cycle and being pushed into the tank. The generation of heat and then being allowed to cool allows the condensation to form and fall to the bottom. The higher the storage pressure the more condensate forms as well.

Nice! I have a Quincy QT that's approaching 50 yrs and still going great. I got a service manual, air filter, and new valve plate with head gasket to do some maintenance on it. I wish I left it alone and just changed the air filter and oil. Quincy parts at the time, some 6 years ago, was difficult sourcing parts for a small twin cyl as their parts go through their service reps that seem to focus mainly on larger industrial units. The parts are there, they just have to dig what and where and it took 2 weeks. I was not impressed with their replacement valve plates but the new style head gaskets are graphite and better than the old composite ones. The new valve plate was not good so they sent me another plus head gasket at no cost after I returned the defective one to the rep. 2 years ago now the new plate is leaking, I can hear some backwash on the right cylinder but the pump time is only a tad longer than it was with the original valve plate. Overall it's a great compressor and it fit my budget and I would buy another Quincy. Receiver tanks are expensive. To be sold as an air receiver there has to be the ASME stamp and now you may be looking at cost anywhere from $4-500 to over $1,200 if your original tank is proved unsafe. Maybe you can find a used one or better yet the original checks out okay

fill with water and then take air pressure to 480 lbs
A QT5's max is 175 psi. If you set it for say 120 that fit most shops, you'd only need to go to 180-200 psi.

Back