• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

MTD model 1862 replacing engine

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bknight

displayname
William M. Knight (Bill)
I have ordered a replacement 18 hp kohler magnum engine. What do I need to do to remove the old engine in regards to disconnecting the drive shaft? Front or back or both? I assume reconnect the new one in the reverse order?

William:

A replacement will encounter, fuel lines, electrical, cables, and mounting. The front of the motor will have the PTO and the back of the motor will have the Drive Hub.

62910.jpg

I would suggest that having a Service Manual would be a benefit for you. Click on link for obtaining one if you don't have one.
Manuals

Manual: 772-4166

Thanks Roland, but the link didn't work for me. If I can get a manual, that's exactly what I need. If you can help me, I'd appreciate it. Bill

Roland, Thanks for your help. I have a new problem. If you see this perhaps you would care to chime in, and again it is appreciated. Here's what I have encountered:
The engine is installed on the tractor, but it doesn't have a place to attach the fuel line???????????? There is a gas line that runs from what I take to be some sort of a fuel pump behind the carburetor out and around to the other side of the carburetor. In short I have the perfect engine...One that runs on nothing! Obviously something is wrong. My old engine has a regular carb. on it, with an intake and an outlet. I have sat and stared at this thing and I don't see anything to which to attach the fuel line from the gas tank. Feel kinda stupid. Help please. Attaching the drive shaft was a snap compared to this. It definitely is not the exact same engine. It is a kohler magnum 18 hp engine (M18S) spec. #24646. I'm stumped. Have the manuals you suggested but find nothing that looks like this. Bill

William:

Here is a typical Fuel Line Routing Diagram for the M-18.....

63296.jpg

Roland, life would be good IF that was what mine looked like. I can't post pictures, but I'll try to describe it. Basically I think they sent me the wrong engine.

Description:

Perspective is facing the engine from the rear or driver's seat.

There is a tube (same type as a fuel line that forms a loop from a port to the left rear of the carburetor (stack). It is not on the carb stack, but behind and beneath it. The tube exits to the left and circles up from under a removable plate located further to the left of the port of origin. The plate is part of the "skin" covering the engine. The tube exits this area from the front left of the plate area and circles around towards the carb. to the front of the same, then after crossing to the right side of the engine it is attached to a port on the right side of carb stack or stem. There is no other port visible upon which to attach an incoming fuel line. If I remove the above described line from the port and attached the incoming (from the fuel tank) line, there is no place to attach a line to the carb!??? One other thing about the line previously described is that it appears to have a filter(?) attached about midpoint in its crossing to enter the carb. Can you see my dilemma? Very frustrating. Thanks again for your help. Bill

BTW, I have to go to work now will check back this PM. Bill

William:

That "Spec" number you previously posted, indicates it is a Cub Cadet Replacement.

As the ole say goes, a Picture is worth a 1000 words. How about some pic's to see what you are talking about.

Roland, again thanks for your help. I do not know how to post pictures, but today I solved the mystery by removing the skin over the left side of the engine. This allowed access to some screws on what was a blind cover for where the fuel pump is to be attached. As soon as I get the fuel pump I should be able to "Git-er-done". There was some confusing wireing also, but got that solved too, I think. It was all different from the original engine. Again many thanks for your time and concern. I have two IH Cubs and this board has been an invaluable asset to me in keeping them running. Great board for Great machines! Thanks Again, Bill

Latest posts

Back