• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Motor oil

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elamott

displayname
Earl LaMott
I have a 129 and I use a straight 30 for the summer and for the winter I use a 5-30. My question is: a straight weight oil was always recommended, which I have been doing. Is it still suggested to use a straight weight, if so can someone tell me why. Just curious.
Earl LaMott

Here is what the Kohler manual says:

KseriesOil.png

5W30 will not have as much zinc in it as compared to SAE30, which on these engines is not a huge concern since the valve spring pressures are fairly low. Stick with the straight 30 for temps above 32 F. The adage that some oil, even if it's not the right oil, is better than no oil.

A side note. API classification SG came out in 1988 and was valid through 1993. That would date the above manual circa 1988.

That manual is from 1991 IIRC and is the most recent revision of the K-series service manual.

You can get Rotella T1 SAE 30 from Walmart.

It's interesting in the manual for my 2015 SZ60 with the Kawasaki 27HP it gives a blessing to the Rotella and several others. I've been using Rotella as long as I can remember. My move to Rotella was a result of many discussions on several compact tractor forums.

Engine Oil: Shell Rimula 15W40 or Rotella® T™ Triple Protection® 15W40 recommended.
Hydrostatic Fluid: Castrol™ (Syntec®) Edge™ 5W50 recommended.

Spindle Lubricant: Use only Shell Alvania RL 2 grease. This grease is an amber-colored grease designed for high speed bearing applications. It has a base oil viscosity that reduces running losses, has been formulated for low noise, has excellent corrosion protection, and has excellent bearing lubrication.

General Purpose Lubrication: Use any NLGI grade 2 multi-purpose grease. Shell Albida EP2 is recommended. Shell Albida EP 2 is a red-colored multi-purpose grease designed for heavy-duty bearing applications. It has high base oil viscosity for mechanical stability, has been formulated for high load, low-speed applications, and has excellent lubrication and corrosion protection.

Yes, my Walmart carries it. And any good auto supply store has SAE 30. Mine has Wolf's Head.
Jack
Wally World isn’t necessarily an “any good auto supply store.” Their inventory/management seems to vary incredibly from store to store. Some are great, some are complete head-scratchers. Some, it depends on the time of day.
I’d rather go to any parts store, be it a chain or a local place.

#missingWesternAuto

Wally World isn’t necessarily an “any good auto supply store.” Their inventory/management seems to vary incredibly from store to store. Some are great, some are complete head-scratchers. Some, it depends on the time of day.

#missingWesternAuto
I agree, my local one always had the 2.5 gallon jug of Rosella 15-40 diesel. New manager and now nothing on the shelf. Even after a few neighbors requested it. Our tractors require 2.5 gallons. It's nice to use one container to Fill the Machine and the same container to load the old oil.
They now have a few 3 gallon, cardboard boxes with a bag of oil. Stupid!

#missingWesternAuto
Didn't say Walmart is a good auto supply. I enter the store, go to where auto supplies are kept, p/u the Rotella and check out....without ever speaking to anyone except the cashier. If not in stock I leave and get the Wolf's Head. Simple.
Cheers, Jack

I agree, my local one always had the 2.5 gallon jug of Rosella 15-40 diesel. New manager and now nothing on the shelf. Even after a few neighbors requested it. Our tractors require 2.5 gallons. It's nice to use one container to Fill the Machine and the same container to load the old oil.
That's for environmental protection. The cardboard box is easier to recycle and the bag is less plastic than a bottle.

That's for environmental protection. The cardboard box is easier to recycle and the bag is less plastic than a bottle.
Paul, I suspect that the notion of environmental protection is sugar-coating for they’re saving a few cents on packaging costs! 🤣

They now have a few 3 gallon, cardboard boxes with a bag of oil. Stupi
Rose, my good wife sometimes moans that Amazon, never mind Home Depot, is putting smaller businesses out of biz. I point out that Amazon always seems to have what I need, and will often deliver the next day. In the case above, Walmart acts like a business that doesn't care with employees that don't care. Where I buy Wolf's Head oil is at Miele in Pearl River, is a thriving operation with Advance Auto and Autozone just a mile away. They know me at Miele 'cause I keep going back. Cheers, Jack

CURT- your manual says the same my LZ54 TANK manual says, Mine's a 2014, 260+ hours, I use Lubriplate grease, have had excellent service from high speed roller bearings using it. I had used Mystik JT-6 years ago for about a year and all three sets of mower spindle bearings failed. And engine oil service is every 50 hours but I only put about 25 hrs on a year so I change oil & filter before first mow of the year with ROTELLA 15W-40, think it's T3, not synthetic or a blend. I do use Rotella T5 in a hot-rodded Kohler K321, it's making considerably More than 14 hp. The Kawasaki on my TANK even has a flat plate oil cooler and 2-1/2 quart oil pan, and it moves LOTS of cooling air.

Back