• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Little Big Tractors

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know Glen, I had forgot it was your thread to start with. I love your cub and want to paint one of my 149's like it. Probably do a few things different but very close.

Part of my childhood was in western Kansas so I really like the weatland tractors myself. I would like to have a LA Case someday. I know its not an IH but they are kinda cousins!

Randy

Case, Allis Chalmers, Massey Ferguson, and Oliver are also some of my favorites, but, international is my top favorite, my family has only owned international, so its all Ive grown up around (even though I never got to see the family farm in Missouri) And if you wanna industrialize your 149, Im happy to help with paint types, tire info, and "how I did its" haha.

I have 2 149's and the first one will be similar to yours except, I want to do Cat yellow with black engine, wheels and under carriage.

The second will be red with black engine, wheels and under carriage.

I also want to build a loader and extend my 122 and make it have a bed on it.

All in my spare time! Ha Ha.

Randy

Randy, I know the feeling and have spare time, but that money thing always get me. It comes in alright most times, but tends to leave before I even get to put it under the mattress. Funny how that works aint it? I just managed to get a steelbody aircleaner off of a green machine (sin, I know, using green parts on a yellow tractor, like putting a 454 chevy in a foxbody mustang) and should lend itself well to my vertical intake stack once I get the rest of the components like a scaled pre cleaner and the pre screener Im making. Exhaust relocation and stack are the next projects in line, then three point cross chains, larger and filled rears, and maybe more hydraulics.

Been picking several custom cubber brains around here lately, and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for helping me learn the tricks and build up my 1466. I just got the JD 317 air cleaner shell today (no mount or filter, just the metal body parts) which I plan to use for my vertical intake stack with the precleaner and prescreener (both will be functional). I want to mount it ontop of the existing heat shield on the engine, since it orients the cleaner body both in the right spot on the hood and close to the carburetor, but I think I may have to get some metal and lengthen the body some since its only about 6" long tops. Its fairly thick steel surprisingly, so welding thin sheetmetal to it should work, and I plan to use metal or thinwall plastic for the intake stack itself depending on what precleaner I find that is the right size demands for mounting.
As far as the exhaust relocation goes, Ive got a plan to use the K341/QL style exhaust elbow (the 45 degree elbow) and bend up a series of 90 degree bends and various straight lengths to make a manifold thats lighter than the current black iron, and, put header wrap on it for both looks and hopefully function (I've been debating the results of opinions on it, some love it, some say it does squat for heat) and then make a Paul Bell style stack like he did on Grrrr back when that is internally silenced, I was thinking of using 2 or 2 1/8" OD exhaust pipe, and welding in a 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" center with holes and a cap on it like the guts of a Farmall cub muffler, and packing it with either fiberglass or heavy steel wool to help arrest sparks and silence the tractor, since a straight pipe is only gonna be LOUD. The muffler I made from a Farmall cub muffler prior is actually very quiet and will be interchangeable with the 2" straight stack depending on which I like better aesthetically or what Im doing with the tractor.
Im trying to figure out some sort of hose mount system for the air cleaner itself since it didnt come with any of the mounts, or the stud in the middle that holds the shells together with a wing nut (which I did get)
Any ideas on how to mount it to the heat shield and whether I should lengthen it or not? Need to make sure I can find filters that fit, otherwise it just looks cool and doesnt do much for trapping dirt.
It looks just like the one on the JD I posted a few pages back without the hoses or the precleaner, same shell though.

Heres the shell and how I plan to orient it under the hood. I had also thought of making a custom heat shield and insulating it well so I could hang it under the heat shield on the engine and fill the open void in the front of the tractor, but, I dont want to mess up the airflow cooling my engine, and, feed it overly hot air too.

232250.jpg

232251.jpg

232252.jpg

232253.jpg

Hey all, I was curious if anyone out there has any experience with an carlisle R4 style rear tire in comparison to a carlisle tru power, Im planning on adding 26x12's to the rear of the 1466 and I kinda like the looks of the R4's, look like theyd be a tad easier on my lawn than the tru power and there isnt much price difference. They worth it or do they suck? Looks to me like the centers being so close together that theyd load with mud pretty quick and spin.

GLEN - I was going to put R-4's on my #72 years ago in place of the Pizza-Cutter 6-12 GY turfs. There was a compact skid steer loader that used 23-8.50X12's and I thought they would be a great general purpose GT tire.

I ended up with the 23 deg lug Firestone 23-8.50's and they have been a great tire. I have the 26-12.00's on the 982 and I mow with it mostly now and there's no damage to the turf, but you can see the marks where the lugs bend the grass over after mowing for a couple days.

I think an R-4 would be easier on the turf, and give almost as much traction as the R-1's. Plus with the wider lugs would last a lot longer, more rubber on the ground all the time.

How much the grass/turf gets torn up is more a matter of what your doing and how wet the ground is. Years ago when all my mowers had turf tires any place I spun a tire which was frequent on hills & slopes I'd tear the grass up good. With lugged tires I've reduced the spinning to maybe 1/10th of what a turf tire would do.

I'd go with the R-4 on your Industrial 1466 clone.

I meant to say Glen,
There's a guy in Minneapolis that sells these Donaldson air cleaners. I bought one for a project of mine.
233321.jpg

233322.jpg

Ive got all the elements I need except for two for the new air cleaner, will an elbow from a KT kohler screw onto the carb on my K301? looks like its the same 30mm opening and screw pattern, I want to use a ninety like that and run my manifold off of it from there. I need to find a smaller pre cleaner bowl too, the one I just got is still too big, one from a toro GroundsMaster for example may work well. Those are nifty Charlie, any hints to what the project is? (just nosey lol)

The R4 looks more industrial than a 23 degree floater,(obviously since its meant for JLG's and skid steers and such)but, I think it will suit the 1466 well because its already so different than its big cousin and the rest of the 149's lol.

https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/WebStore/search/item_detail.html?section=10104&item=18673

something like this guy, since Charlie sparked the Donaldson air cleaner stuff.

Latest posts

Back