• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Allis Chalmers "G"

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcoleman

displayname
Glen M. Coleman
Ive been a big tractor fan ever since I got to drive one sitting on my grandpas knee, next to international one of my favorite makes is Allis Chalmers, Im actually using an allis muffler on my 1466 project, I was curious about the G series tractor, always thought it looked funny and I've never seen a rear engined tractor that wasnt a Gravely or a zero turn mower. What was its intended purpose? Sortof reminds me of internationals culti-vison cubs and 140's. Ive googled it a few times and found some info, but I figured Id pick the many brains around here. Thanks guys - Glen

They were for suburban farmettes. <font size="-2">(not sure 'bout that spelling)</font>
After WW2 people were moving out into the 'burbs and wanting to have their own gardens and small truck farms.

I'd loved to have had one of those when I had a 2 acre garden on the farm.

Alot of the Allis G's were used for tobbacco cultivation in our area of WI...
Shift.gif
PWR

Ive seen one here in MD (tobacco was our industry way back, still on the flag) but it had more weeds and vines growing on it that it did rust and orange paint. So they were basically a cultivator with an engine on it...interesting. certainly funny looking
happy.gif

Ken...nutrients...hahaha. that was good, I appreciate that clip

GLEN - You guessed it, the A-C G was Allis' version of the CUB Farmall. Made for cultivating high value crops like vegetables & tobacco.

My Buddy is finishing up restoring an Allis D-12 Industrial tractor with loader & backhoe. Was bought by a cemetary in Rock Island back in '63 or early '64. It's been beat on pretty bad by prior owners but will look better than new when he's done. They forgot to install power steering on the tractor at the factory in West Allis, WI. but my buddys adapted full P/S from a JD #55 combine as part of the restoration.

His next project is a 185 Allis diesel to go along with his 210 diesel & pair of D-17 diesels. He mows with a 5020 Allis diesel CUT he restored ten yrs ago. Yes, his paint booth has an orange tint to it, while mine is pink!

Neighbor Dad traded help with had a WD-45, late series 3 D-17 gas, D-19 gas before he went green. I drove all those tractors pulling the IH #55-T baler when I was really young. I tried to stay off those green things as much as I could. They always seemed to be under-powered unless you had them on a rediculously small implement, like say a turbo-charged 4020 running a 6 ft Bushhog chopping two rows of corn stalks.

First big tractor I ever drove was a JD 4010 diesel non turbo, it was a Hi-Crop so I felt like I was on top of the world, it was awesome, (I was only six or seven) but it was only pulling a hay wagon with a few bales on it and back then I wouldnt know underpowered if it came up and bit me, I was just so excited to be able to have the massive wheel in my hands. Ive always wanted to own a D15 diesel or a big D21 (after I get my farm of course, an acre and a half is barely big enough to turn one of those monsters around), I would imagine that the G was perfect for cultivation because theres no engine or anything in the way at all. I bet theyre awesome wheelie tractors too if that front counterweight is removed haha.

GLEN - I spent a LOT of time on Dad's 4010-D but it was a wide frt end rowcrop. Non-turbo, nice 40bottom tractor but not enough weight to pull 5 bottoms in our hills. Most 4020's ended up with M&W turbo's around home to be able to pull 5-14's.

It's funny, the gus over on the RPM forum were talking about what different models of tractors were popular around their different parts of the country. The 706 sold almost as many as the bigger 806 did. Back in the mid-1960's you had to be a really big operator to need a full 5-bottom tractor, or een 6-bottom 1206 when they were released in '65. Many people kept with the 4-bottom 706's because they felt the big tractors were "too big". Now they same guys are farming those same fields with 250-300 HP FWA tractors pulling huge filed cultivators and in the fall they chisel plow with articulated 4WD's. Tractos are like pickups, work shops, and tool boxes, NO such thing as TOO BIG!

My Buddy would probably part with his D-21, has new 18.4 X 38 rear tires, good seat, really nice paint & decals. He only "farmed" 20-22 acres and used the D-21 to chisel plow every other year. It will have a rebuilt injection pump on it whenever he sells it. I know he installed a rebuilt turbo several years ago. Nice looking tractor.

He's looking for a D-15 diesel too.... really hard to find them

Id imagine the D-15's were like the 169 cc's, not many made but eventually became the one everyone wants haha. Mind you my allis chalmers dreams are distant at best currently. If I get lucky and get my dream job as a deputy US Marshal, Ill hopefully have some play money for said tractors, but if the gov't keeps it up, not gonna be good for any of us.

Latest posts

Back