• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Leaking transmission fluid

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to change all fluids in my 1961 “original” cub cadet plus gaskets and per instructions filled it with 3 1/2 quarts of SAE 30 oil. After doing so it leaked out approximately 3/4 of a quart from the underneath from a small hole that is pictured below. After I opened up the small plug used for checking the correct level it stopped leaking. Is that normal and should there be a plug in that hole. From looking at the back it is on the left side. The first two pictures are of the hole looking from underneath and the third picture is the small level
IMG_4049.jpeg
IMG_4048.jpeg
IMG_4050.jpeg
IMG_4048.jpegplug I referred to above. Please advise and thank you for your assistance.

No, the hole is so oil that leaks out of a leaky seal can drain out to inform you of the need to replace the seal.

Thanks so much. This is my 1st cub cadet and Im a novice at repairs. Is this an easy seal to replace and is there a manual out there online I can reference? Any help is much appreciated.

I put the link to the service manual in your other thread. It is not terribly difficult to do.

I would do both. They are both approaching 60 years old. If you don't do both, you'll be tearing into it again. Googling that part number will lead you to a variety of sources, or if you have a local bearing supplier, they should be able to cross it to a National or Chicago Rawhide seal, given the old one to measure.

I just took an old seal to the local parts guy and he matched it easily. I installed the seals about 15 years ago, and they're still going strong.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back