• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Lead Wheel Weights ?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lip - Never did get around to it. I bought 50 pounds of lead off ecrazybay but my back had gotten so bad by then that I didn't feel like man handling a core box that big. I'm not crazy about melting that much lethal lead either.

Todd - Green sand would be the cheapest type of sand casting. Petro Bond is expensive but it's what I like the best and use. PB is so fine it'll pick up finger prints in a casting.
You wouldn't need a blast furnace but it would make it melt faster. I use a couple of wheels welded together with the center of the top one cut out and a steel plate welded on the bottom of the bottom one for melting lead in. The top wheel holds the pot I made. I use propane @ 3-5 psi on a 3/16" line.
That's my old wheel furnace in the first pick on the page. I use it for aluminum too and only fire up the refractory furnace for brass and iron.

I've made several molds out of Bondo for doing prototypes or copy's where I used lead. You just don't want to do to big of a piece.
I made a downrigger cannon ball Bondo mold once using a cue ball as the plug (pattern). I poured it at the kitchen table from the stove , waited a couple mintues and pulled it open. Had nice hot molten lead run out on the table and me. Note to self: Wait longer!

Off topic but related ...

A friend of mine found 9 old cast iron street light gas lights in a scrap yard that we had on our town main street back in the 20's. He wanted to put them back together for "looks" not use. They were flat sided ... 6 I think ... and they had large acorns on the top corners. 13 of the acorns were missing so I took one of the broke off ones that he had and put it on the back of my lathe as a template and turned out one in mild steel then used it as a plug in Bondo for a mold. We poured those using my propane grill in the garage to melt the lead in an old iron pot. He later sold all the complete lights.

Hi new guy here. This may not belong here but.... If you are looking for a way to add weight where you need it look into form filling your tires. This is what some heavy equipment companies do. On my 23x8.50x12 it adds about 50 lbs each. And on my 4.80x4.00x8 it adds about 25 lbs each. So I have an extra 100 lbs on the rear and another extra 50 lbs on the front (all unseen). Also you never have to worry about another flat. It is cheaper than $2.00 a pound which seems to be a going rate for wheel weights.

i got a set of castiron wheel weights off of a Ditchwhich and there about 110 a peice, 220 a set and it pulls like crazy in all conditions with them on there.

Latest posts

Back