KT17 new fuel pump - still no fuel

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleveland

displayname
michael cleveland
Okay, last fall my 782 (KT17 Series II) started to act like it was starving for fuel at times. This spring, it would move about 20 feet and just die. To make a long story short, the fuel pump was sending almost no fuel to the carb.

Now, new fuel pump, new inline filter, etc... Still no fuel getting to the carb. Everything before the new fuel pump flows freely under gravity, but if I pull the line from the carb and crank the engine there is no fuel. Did I get a bad pump? Yes, it is the standard mechanical pump.

Not sure if this is possible, but did you by chance get the plunger lever on the wrong side of the cam lobe?

If it is possible, I suppose that could be the problem. I will pull it back apart after work today and make sure it goes back in right. There isn't much room to work, so I just slid it in and was happy that I didn't loose the screws.

Be sure to compare the plunger lever to the old pump. If the angles are incorrect it won't work. Some pumps were incorrectly labeled. Ones from a Command single horizontal look similar but the angle is not the same. Work the pump manually when off to see also that it does pump.

Looks like this was somewhat my fault. I fell for the cheap $29 fuel pump. The angles were the same, but it didn't actually pump any fuel until the last quarter of the stroke. The first 3/4 of the stroke were just dead movement. The stock pump moved the diaphragm through the entire stroke. I guess you get what you pay for. Thanks for the help.

Since there is no way I can get my hands on a Kohler pump in the next few days and I am embarrassed by the height of my grass, I opted to go the electronic fuel pump route. My local auto parts store promised me he can have a Facet 40163 in by Friday morning. Any ideas on where I can tap into the electric for this new pump? The specs show an average draw of 1.6 amps.

Latest posts

Back