Kt17 m18 flywheels

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmeyer

displayname
michael meyer
hello all!! i am replacing the kt17 in my 682 with a m18 - but the flywheel is wrong on the m18 - so, i am wondering if it will work to swap the flywheel from the kt17 into the m18?

thanks for all your help!!

Michael,

I'm with you on swapping out motors on a KT-17 equipped 682, but what doesn't work about the M18 flywheel?

When I dropped an M18 designed for an Off-Topic tractor into my 782, I had to buy a (used) cup to allow the Cub Cadet drive shaft to hook up correctly, otherwise, it was fine.

The magnet for the magneto won't be on the KT flywheel, so that isn't going to work. What's wrong with the flywheel on the M18?

it appears i have a case of the dumbass...
happy.gif
my m18 flywheel has a cup already installed for a different application, and since it looks like cast iron i assumed that it was part of the flywheel... when actually it is a big bolted on part that can be removed - so i think i can put the cub cup on now in place of it just fine
happy.gif

Michael, don't feel too badly, I thought the same thing until I investigated as you did. At least you have an idea of what the connection is SUPPOSED to look like. I posted proudly until Matt G. pointed out I had it all wrong: no swivel/plate in the front. I must have installed my crank shaft three times before I got it right.

By-the-way, now is a good time to check and/or replace the swivel connection at the rear of the tractor (most of mine was missing). Also, be sure the drive shaft is straight and that the hydro fan is all there and working. Finally, check the flex disks for wear and use fresh locking nuts to bolt it all together.

My two cents.

Latest posts

Back