• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Just bought an 1872

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcshane

displayname
Ryan McShane
Well, I joined the Super Cub club tonight. I brought home a very nice 1872 Cub Cadet with a 50 inch deck, dual hydro, power steering, and a 450 blower for a VERY decent price. What can an experienced Super Cub owner tell me about these tractors?

All the best qualities of the 782 with big tires, power steering, and more leg room....awesome machines, one of the best series of Cubs made (for their fretures and toughness).

I run a 2072, 1872, and a 782 modified with PS and 26" rubber.........woudln't give them up!!!!

Currently working on converting a 2182 Cyclops to "2172" status!!!!

STEVE - I know you and other's in the "know" have hinted you were working on a BIG project... never knew what it was... I'm sure you'll let us know all about it when it's done... never cared for the Cyclops tractors, but they did get a TON of improvements, your 2182/2172 should be something to see! The Best of Everything!

RYAN - Once you start using your new 1872, all your other CC's will sit collecting dust.

When the red CC's first came out I wanted a 782 REALLY bad, but really didn't need 17 HP & 50 inch deck for my quarter acre lot so kept the old 72 running. And who needed a 982? Answer to a question NOBODY was asking it seemed. Fast forward 20 yrs to 2000, and my "new to me" 982 is sitting in the yard, 50" deck, 3-pt, frt remotes, steering brakes, rear PTO... If it wasn't for that $&@% Onan it would be the Perfect garden tractor!

Ryan, be sure to check the bolts holding the rear into the frame. On the 2072 that my parents had they tended to loosen up over time. If not caught in time they will strip out the threads in the aluminum.

Thanks KRAIG! I don't hang out in this forum much... but it looks like I should have most of this winter.

I've got a 1572 that I wouldn't part with for love nor money! You'll love that machine! The power steering is awesome.

Yep, after getting my 2072, the others are just toys. Although, I had to move the 782 the other day and noted it was a bit more comfy than its bigger cousin. It just feels "right". I'm soon to be following in Steve's footsteps by adding a Mag20 and P/S to the 782. Then ALL will be right.

I just had the opposite experience....spent 3 hours on the 2072 and extra wide #2 tiller working up a 1/4 acre garden plot for a friend (burned almost 4 gallons of fuel)........then I jumped on the 782 (now my son's 782) to set up the 54" mower deck for mowing........

I felt CRAMPED, like I was on "my son's tractor" not my BIG tractor........

Funny how perceptions are different.......

Boy, I really spaced out on this thread...my apologies.

The 1872 has seen its fair amount of time in the Cub garage the past month or so. Since I bought it I have added new relief valves, upgraded the carb to an adjustable jet, fixed the muffler, changed oil, added new decals, and bought new blades for the deck. I LOVE THIS TRACTOR. I cant believe how nice the power steering is, and just the overall ride of the tractor on my rough hilly ground. Finally, here are a few pictures of it.
287902.jpg

287903.jpg

287904.jpg

It sure is, Jeff. I can't wait to try the 450 snowblower. I bet it is a nice setup.

That would be nice! I have a 54 inch blade, just need to get the hydro angle kit.

I have a 1872 that has been my main mower for over 13 years. The power steering just started acting up by not turning to the right. It will turn to the left every time, however, the right turn will only turn sporadically to the right and with much hesitation. It is now too dangerous to mow with it. Is there a rebuild kit for the power steering unit or is there another problem I need to look at?

Steven,
They act up when low on hydro fluid or contaminated with water. Level OK etc?

Steven,

If you determine your steering issues are coming from the lower steering column there is a seal kit available. Although, the steering cylinder is a common culprit in these setups.

Back