• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

John deere

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker

displayname
jeff l baker
This combine sat 3 days while they worked on it before they got to leave on its own.

I jokingly said to the mechanic that wouldn't happen if it was red in color, He did NOT find it as funny though.
248439.jpg

Hey Jeff what was wrong? When I call our John Deere rep for work, When he answers I say this isn't Case IH? You want to talk about silence on the other end of the line. I get him every time.

not sure I came home from work and it was gone but I believe it was electrical

Actually we got done with the harvest WITHOUT a major braekdown.......then again there wasn't much of a crop either. Some fields could have been harvestered with a bush hog.

Years ago on a fatm I worked at, for a joke I talked the boss into putting a turbo sticker on our H chore tractor. It usually got a look or giggle from people that hadn't seen it before. One fall we had a JD mechanic at the fatm rebuilding the hydraulic speed control on the combine. Had a young kid working there that could be pretty sharp when he wasn't hung over. Anyway, I was talking to the jd guy when the kid went beetween two buildings about 40 feet from us the kid had this perfect whistle going. the jd guy just glanced over then took a double take and stared. Bless that kids heart, when the H hit a small rise he whistled a little harder when the govenor opened up a little. He was only in view about mabey 20 seconds. That mechanic started to ask but never did. Me an that kid laughed about that for years

Last week the neighbor's tenant combined the 100+ acres of corn behind us. They're the ONLY farmer in this area that's all RED. Their old 1660 A/F just SCREAMS, that DT-466 is either at idle, or wound up tight. The second day they combined the combine sat out all night with a hopper full of corn, they started it up, it sputtered for 3-5 seconds, then idled smoothly for 15 seconds, then went right to wide open and drove up to the semi and unloaded. I cringed!

But the corn was much better than across the road, sometimes it only took them a half hour to load the semi. They used two grain carts to haul away from it. The neighbor across the road with a bigger newer green combine combined about the same acrage in one day, but then they didn't have to interupt combining to empty the hopper near as often, think they only got 4 semi-loads off 80+ acres.

TOM - Couple guys posted pics of disking under standing corn on the RPM forum earlier this fall. In a normal year it would have been real messy driving over corn 10 ft tall, but this stuff was only 5-6 ft tall.

DAVE - I still have an article I cut out of FARMSHOW mag 30+ yrs ago where somebody put a turbo on an H. Guy claimed he ran a 9 ft Haybine in 4th gear with no problem. I've heard good reviews about the Keystone turbo kits for M's & newer, don't think they make a kit for an H.

dose any one have a service manual for a 2010 john deere im having problems timing the injector pump if so it whould help out alot thanks

JESSY - I think you'd be better off leaving the inj. pump out of time so the engine doesn't run. Even guys who bleed green admit the 1010 & 2010 were not one of JD's better efforts. They make better "static displays". From what I understand there's no top deck on the block, the cylinders float, and they tend to leak oil, water, & compression where they don't belong.

But you might try posting here, one guy, JD110 is service tech and seems to know his stuff, http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/forum.php

TOM - He's never mention it like JS did, but I suppose it's possible. ;-)

I remember cutting foot or two high grass with a 12 ft JD rotary cutter behind a 4020-D, I spent a lot of time in 3rd gear that day, spent some time in 2nd gear too.

Very impressive!

Not sure even an IH would have done any better...
fan.gif

Didn't look like the JD had the front wheels engaged. Wonder if the outcome would have been the same?

I've seen that video a few times. I think the JD might have had a chance if the tie point had been lower on the Steam tractor. With the high tie point on the Steam tractor it is effectively removing weight (traction) from the JD. I think it was rigged to produce a certain outcome. I'm sure some of the tractor pullers on here could elaborate.

Kraig/and all,
I do think you are correct in the statment "I think it was rigged to produce a certain outcome." but would also "bet the farm" that the hitching point and the fact that the front drives aren't pulling. I really don't think the FWD would have helped much though. Did you notice the are zero weights on the JD? Power ain't nuthin' without traction! Advantage steam engine.

In 1976 Walcott, Iowa had a tractor pull as part of the town's celebration. One must remember that those old steam engines aren't allowed to run at the horsepower they used to generate due to safety concerns. Part way through the event someone brought a steam engine about the same size as that one pulling the John Deere. They set the sled to allow weight transfer as fast as it could. Long story short.... the steam engine didn't even grunt and pulled the weight sled a full pull. Now getting back to that John Deere trying to outpull the steam engine... Nope... that was a given before he even tried. He would have to find a lot smaller steam engine.

MARLIN - Buddy & I went to the second Half Century of Progress down in Rantoul, IL 8 yrs ago. That was the year the big attraction was three steam engines pulling a SIXTY (60) bottom plow. They moved right along with the plow, 2-3 MPH. And as anybody who's been to a CC plow days knows, 60 of any size bottom makes a really w-i-d-e swath. But it took them about 3-4 HOURS to turn around on the headlands, so in a day, you couldn't really plow that much ground.

TOM, KRAIG, BILL, RICHARD - I really don't think the FWA not working or the angle of the hitch made ANY difference in the outcome of that pull. Change all those things and the result would have been the same. Steam engines make maximum torque at zero RPM, the engine weighs 30,000# I would guess, maybe more. Not sure what engine the JD had, almost looked like a Duramax, but it was out-classed from the start.

One year at the Henry County Fair in Cambridge, IL, would have been mid-1970's, at the end of the tractor pull, after the 12,000# Open class, where the really hot turbo-diesel farm tractors and the modified's with multiple car engines, and even Allison and Packard airplane engines, one even had a PAIR of Allisons... had got done pulling, a guy hooked to the sled with an Army 6X6 from the Army Reserve. He wasn't fast and exciting like the pulling tractors, but weighed closer to 20,000# and had the AWD engaged. Never slipped a tire but picked too high a gear and ran out of power around 290 ft and tried to speed shift into a lower gear. I thought the transmission & T-case was coming right up through the floor boards! He didn't break anything but the shock of dumping the clutch at full no-load RPM in the lower gear started him spinning and he didn't make it to 295 ft.

The repair shop Dad used to try to keep his 4010-D running, Warner's Turbo Shop, always supplied the pull back tractor in the days before the self-propelled sleds, a Steiger Panther III, VT-903 Cummins they had worked on the inj. pump a little, it was snappy! They were supposedly the largest Steiger dealer in the nation at that time. And at roughly 30,000+# at the end of the pull he'd hook on to the OTHER end of the sled and drag it out around 350-360 ft. with the weight box topped out just like it wasn't hooked to anything. So with enough weight, and a little HP with a LOT of gearing... you can pull some impressive stuff. More HP just gains you speed!

Dennis F. That sixty bottom plow was probably meant for the west coast farms with their several mile long fields. Still that would have been neat to see. My Dad said that at the end of WWII the U.S. military left airstrips and airplanes over in Africa and let the jungle grow back over them. He said the planes were all ready to go and had to be left there. Couldn't bring anything back to the states. I vaguely remember something in the mid to late 70s about guys literally going to Africa for the airplane engines for their tractor pullling hobby.

MARLIN - Guy from around Prophetstown, IL, Bill Newlon used to pull a Minny UB with an Allison 1710 CID engine in the 1960's, and in the early 1970's bought our next-door neighbor's G1000 and dropped an Allison in it. Some guys used the Rolls-Royce/Packard 2490 CID V12 from the later version P-51 Mustangs, MORE HP... One guy I mentioned with the twin Allison tractor had a matched pair of Allison V12's from a P-38 twin engine fighter plane, one rotated clock-wise, the other counter-clock-wise.

The announcer at the Henry County, IL. fair pull most years was an old local boy, forget his name, but I guess he almost married my aunt, and he was in the Air Force during WW II and knew all about those engines. Post WWII when jets became common, new-in-crate surplus Allisons would sell for $50 each, the main & rod bearings were very high in silver content, and many of those Allisons were "disassembled" with sledge hammers just to get to the bearing inserts for their silver.

Here's a link to a thread on YT about Bill's Allison powered Minny's. The thread also mentions Bill & Perry Noord. Bill & Perry's wives were nurses at the hospital in Geneseo and my Mom worked with then, good friends actually... we always rooted for Bill & Perry, and since they traveled with Bill, rooted for him too. Last time I saw Bill pull his G1000, I think the announcer said he was 78 yrs old. The Allison needed a good tune-up, but actually ran better than it did most nights back in the 60's & 70's. http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=mm&th=66448

One of the neater pulling tractors was a Farmall M, think it was painted white like a 1950 Demonstator for at least a couple years, WFE of course, and in place of the little 4-cyl. 248 CID IH 4-cyl, they dropped in a V8 Ford GAA V8 displacing only 1100 CID, 1000#/ft of torque, and 450-525 HP @ 2600 RPM depending on the tune. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GAA_engine

He pretty well had ALL the competition covered on HP & torque except the twin engine tractors like Bill & Perry Noord's W9 IH & Massey Harris 55, Massey had a pair of 427 Chevy's, W9 had a pair of 409's, And the airplane engined tractors like Bill's Minny. I bet that M rearend was screeming UNCLE with ALL that HP & torque going thru it!

I'm glad people are hunting up those old pulling tractors and restoring them now days. Took a LOT of time, money, and engineering talent to get those tractors to run reliably a couple nights a week all summer long, plus the time and money to haul them to pulls all over the midwest. It's nice that people now days remember those pioneers of tractor pulling.

To keep this post somewhat on-topic, there were always 3-4, sometimes more 4020's with 318 Detroit diesel conversions pulling, some of Jon Kinzbaugh's handy work. Neighbors who farmed the 320 acres across the road pulled a pair of turbo'd 4020's. Rather crude, used a turbo off some BIG Cummins engine, had to cut a hole in the hood to make it fit, ran a bunch of 4" dia. tubing from the HUGE dry-type air filter bolted to the tractor's frame to feed the turbo. My cousin was good friends with them. They "Farmed" with them, engine tuned for roughly 250 HP, pulling they tuned for 450+/- HP. Those two 4020's were probably the only farm tractors in the county that needed more mechanical work on them to keep them running than Dad's 4010.

Dennis, what a break to the past. I remember watching those tractors pull in the area. Also watched that W9 with four 460 Lincoln engines in it. The one that I liked to watch was called Solid Junk. The guy bought a G1000 LP Minnie from a junk yard that was in a fire. He rebuilt the engine, built it up, and went pulling. He would always be in the pits setting the valves to weather conditions. It might not due good in 1 class but would come back in the next and win. He never did paint it and the tinwork and everything was still rusty from the paint being burned off.

Latest posts

Back