• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

JD rims on a 1512

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgalante

displayname
Stephen Galante
I ran across a set of Goodyear 23 x 10.50 x 12 AG tires in pretty nice shape on Craigslist mounted on some JD rims from a John Deere model 240. The 5 holes seem to be correctly spaced, but it seems to me that according to all the pictures I have seen on this website that the valve stem is on the opposite side of the rim itself. I haven't taken the wheels and tires off my 1512 yet, but it also seems like the offset of the center (I hope I am using the correct term) seems to be more in the center on the JD rims, than it appears on the various Cub Cadet rims I have seen. I have attached a few photos. The tires are mounted correctly on them as far as tread direction. I'd really like to have 2 sets of tires, the turf tires on one set of rims, and the Ag tires on the other. I was thinking about making that same upgrade that Rob Neubauer showed in his May 29th post changing over to studs instead of bolts to mount the tires. Am I wrong or seeing something incorrectly? The 2 tires on the rims only set me back $50, so I am pretty sure I can sell the rims to some JD user for that much. I just need some guidance before I start taking the chains, wheel weights, and rims off my tractor. Thank for all your help. SteveG.

87778.jpg

87779.jpg

I'd use the rims from a Cub Cadet. Those JD rims don't fit right on a CC because of the weird offset.

Steve-
I'd agree with Matt, JD seemed to vary their offset/backspacing depending on model lineup. It's also apparent that on some of the earlier wheels that the valve stem was put to the inside, I'm not sure if this had to do with their rear wheel weight options. As far as the tires, I'd assume by the diamonds on the sidewall that they are Goodyears. They're solid performing tires when fitted to a Cub Cadet.

IF (and this is a big if) you can get the part number of the rims, either by looking in JD's online parts catalog or otherwise; it is possible to get a dealer to look up what the offset or backspacing is (and most dealers are helpful enough to do this). When I worked at the JD Engineering Center (Waterloo Unit), we used a program called DRP (Data Retrieval Parts) and dealers have a similar program which can look for parts using dimensional attributes (or even by Manufacturer's part number).

Wyatt,
You're correct, they are Goodyear tires. I think these are the predecessors to Tru-Powers before Goodyear sold off that part of the tire business to Titan. I didn't mention that but overall, they are in really good shape. There is a little checking on the sidewalls, but nothing that prevents them from holding air. I think I decided last night, that I am just going to have them mounted on my current set of Cub Cadet rims, and go with them 100% of the time. I have chains I can use in the winter, and if I come accorss a decent set of rear rims, that I can mount my turf tires to, I'll use them as spares. I'm probably just going to clean up the JD rims, sandblast off what little surface rust they have, give them a fresh coat of paint, and see what I can get for them. They too are in really good shape. SteveG

Latest posts

Back