• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IH Push Mowers

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
If ya need more info, just holler Kenny.
24437.jpg

24441.jpg

24438.jpg

24439.jpg

24440.jpg

Hi Kenny....Your right bracket looks correct. The pin is what you push against. If a real severe forward lean of the handle is required then the Bagger suspension bar (not shown here) will suffice. The notch you see on the left side is for the purpose of collapsing the handle for transport or storage not pushing forward. The LM-1 Parts manual is abysmally poor in illustrating many parts. I found a second pic of the right side which shows yours is ok. You just need a handle. Your LawnBoy dealer can probably get you one <u>IF</u> he goes back to these 1972 models in his LawnBoy parts references. A lazy one will try to give you a current style which likely wont work as you have already found out..
Myron B

Thanks for the pics and info, Charlie and Myron! So that RH bracket is correct... hmmm, I wonder why they made notches on both sides of all the other '70s Lawn-Boy brackets I've ever seen. Must have been an IH requirement. Anyway, I have some handles from some later '70s LB mowers that I think will fit, I just figured there had to be something for that side of the handle to push against when you went forward on it. Guess I can try it as-is and rig up something else if it doesn't work to suit me.

Haven't got it running yet anyway, but I don't think I'll have too much problem with that, as I've worked on a few Lawn-Boys now and I have a real good Mechanic's Handbook for them. I really like the Lawn-Boy stuff, and am glad that IH chose them as a source for the push mowers. Kinda combines two of my favorites into one.

Anyway, thanks again for the pictures and info, guys! I'll probably come up with more questions as I go along with it.

Kenny-

That's the classic Lawn_boy style, and darned-near ANY Lawn-Boy handle will work, and all the old ones should look correct, too.

Best way to find old Lawn-Boy parts is to go by a place that 'used to be' an OMC/Lawn-Boy dealership. Now that OMC's been dissolved by Bombardier (and wonderful acts of congress under the supreme suggestion of the People's Republic of California's "Air Resources Board"), you'll find that many Lawn_Boy dealerships are dumping all their old boneyards really quick, and getting out of the L-B business. I know that my local shop did just that, so I nabbed four LB's similar to mine... for $0. Now... there are some 'places' that you can buy the 'new' Lawn_Boy lineup, but like buying MTD-Cub Cadets and Yon Heeres from Lowe's, the 'real' dealership knowledge has been cast away. Move fast, and dig for the 'right stuff' ASAP, as the price of scrap aluminum is pretty high.

Yep, Dave, I pick up old Lawn-Boys whenever I find 'em, especially if they have aluminum decks. Not too many of them in this area, apparently, because I don't see them often. I only pick up the self-propelled ones if they're REAL cheap (as in FREE, or close to it), as I don't care much for them, but there are a few parts that will work on others. And I do have one old steel-deck Scamp, but their steel deck models don't impress me nearly as much as the aluminum ones do. Don't know of any old dealers around here that I could raid, but I'll start keeping my eyes open for them.

By the way,Lawn Boy used lots of magnesium decks as well as aluminum,believe it or not. Just something to remember when you wanna weld one...those mag decks are great fire starter material!!
Since Toro bought Lawn Boy in 1991 things have really gone downhill for the once-prominent brand. All the new stuff is toro with greeen paint on it.
In addition to the Lawn boy IH models,Lawn Boy also made Deere walk behind mowers until about 1990. Since some models used common parts you may check with them as a last resort for certain parts(except engine items)
Watching the "death" of Lawn Boy was a sad example of the changing marketplace. In the 1970's and early 1980's Lawn Boy held the #1 spot in selling walk behind mowers by a wide margin;as mass merchant chains sprang up and Sears pushed lower cost mowers their share of market kept declining by leaps and bounds.(not you,Myron ;-) By 1988 OMC had decided to sell off the Lawn Boy division;it was operated as a stand-alone company until Toro bought the "name" to access the loyal dealer network.

I always like the way the Lawn Boy mowed. It layed the clippings out evenly, or when the bag was used picked up everything. Much better than the Toro

Latest posts

Back