• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IH 460 / oil slime

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbuttke

displayname
Lonny Buttke
My IH 460 has been sitting all winter, and last weekend I went to fire it up and ran into a problem.

The power steering did not want to work, a sure sign of a clogged hydraulic filter.

Apound removal of the filter I found a gray goo and slime covering the filter.

What could be causeing this? is there a cure? other than changeing the 25 gallons of Hytran and filter.

Lonny im sure you thought of this but it sounds like water in the fluid is it feasable and cost wise to do a couple of filter changes? i may be barking up the wrong tree but thought id suggest it

Jeff.

The filters are not cheap, $20.00 a pop but still a lot cheaper than $6.00/gal for trans-hydraulic oil from farm & barn, who claim it is as good as HY-TRAN oil

Have not check with Case/IH on the price of
HY-TRAN as I don't want to scare myself to badly.

LONNIE - Guys over at RPM say Hy-Tran in bulk (Bring Your own cans/jugs) is now about $8/gal.

How old is the Hy-tran & filter in Your 460? Not like it makes any difference but is it an International Utility or FARMALL rowcrop? I'm thinking Jeff is on the right track, filter change or two should get most of the crud out of the rearend and get the hyd. & PS working again.

There's some really good mechanics on these older IH's over at RPM, My want to get a log-in and post the question over there.

Your lucky that You have a newer IH, LARGE hyd. reservoir & a filter. My old Super H & M with M&W live hyd. only have six quart cap. and no filter.

Dennis,

Unsure as to how old the hydraulic oil is, but it is a safe bet it is not HY-Tran oil in the tractor as my father did not spring for the good stuff, just what would work. Good ole trans-hydraulic fluid from Farm & Fleet.

The power steering kicked in after changeing the old filter for a new one.

I will be replaceing the filter again once I get to my Case IH dealer for some HY-Tran.

Heres the old work horse I was given.
151946.jpg

Ahhhh. O-K, I remember You posted a pic when You got that 460.

The F&F transmission & hyd. oil is O-K for everything except maybe the ramp & rollers in the TA. And as long as it's working the oil must not be too bad.

TA's always get a BAD Rap from those fans of tractors that don't have "shift-on-the-fly" capability (jd?!?!) But actally they're a pretty simple & reliable unit when used and adjusted propery. From about 1960 or so till 1968 Dad had a Super M-TA, then a 450. The TA went out when plowing the second spring Dad had the M-TA and He learned how important adjusting them "by the book" was.

I sometimes wish I had a slower range of gears in the M and Super H, but not enough to make a "Super H-TA". Live PTO to run a bigger higher pressure hyd. pump for the loaders would be nice too, First thing I'd do is put a hyd. bucket on the loader on the Super H and a much bigger reservoir than the six quart Lift-All's have.

Denis.

Your some what correct, I did post a photo of the 460 earlyer, that was back when I had first heard that I <u>might</u> be getting the tractor.

As of Monday this week, my mother has told me that the tractors and machinery here on what is left of the farm are now mine to do with as I want.

So I have decided to get the 460 up and in good running condition befor even thinking removeing all the clutter around the JD 50 on the other end of the barn.

I contacted my local Case/IH dealer today for a price check on HY-Tran oil. $11.62/gal.
jawdrop.gif

Now I know why dad always went with trans-hydraulic oil from F&F, only $5.99/gal.

The TA has not worked on the 460 for some years, and dad could never quite figure out why even after having it rebuilt.
The hydraulic controls have not been the same since the power lift drawbar was removed.
Half the guages in the dash dont work, missinig sheet tin, exhaust pipe loose in manifold, the list go on and on.

I did how ever get to use it for 2.5 hours today disking down the 3 different sweetcorn plots.

Latest posts

Back