• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Huge 9280 behind my house.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vthomley

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Vincent Thomley
On Firday evening I watched this Case-IH 9280.This is the biggest Tractor I've seen in my area. He got more done in the 1-2 hours than we did in a week on the farm I grew up on. Last year this field was plowed with a Case IH pulling an on land approx 7 bottom plow and a John Deere pulling a 5-6 bottom plow with a wheel in the furrow. They had spent 2 days plowing this. On Saturday this field was planted with a Cat Track tractor pulling a 24 row planter, per my neighbor for I was not home. This tractor is approx 300 yards away, amazing the picture quality of my camera-certainly not the camera operator.
151110.jpg

151111.jpg

151112.jpg

Yesterday, Sunday, a different farmer worked up and planted the field right next to my property. This guy used all John Deere.
4840 doing the tilling.
151117.jpg

4020 picking rock.
151118.jpg

4250 planting
151119.jpg

TRIPLES on the Big Case/IH. Guy has more $$$$ in tires on that thing than ALL the tractors My Dad ever owned! But then a 9280 has more HP than all the tractors Dad owned combined.

I think that 4020 on the rock picker is actually a 4320. The bigger dia. & taller muffler was used on 4320's & the later 4020's had a short oval muffler with about a 2" dia. outlet. Guy I did fieldwork for all thru HS & college traded a pair of 4020's for a 4320 & 4020 in about '69 or '70. The new tractors were both side console tractors. The 4320 had about Three hours on the clock when I took it to the field the first time. Most of the 4020's where I grew up got M&W turbo's on them to pull 5-bottom plows, It was about time Mother Deare made something with a few more HP. Turned out the 4320's were a pretty good tractor just like IH's 1206 they took to market in '65, and IH already had Good Year & Firestone develop tires to handle all that HP. Article in HERITAGE IRON's first issue about 1206's said IH had to wait two years to release the 1206 because it would spin the wheels & rims right out of the tires on a hard pull.

Dennis, I agree on the Tires $$$ He sure spent a lot of time turning around at my end of this field for there is a rock pile he tilled around, a partial fence line, and dry crick bottom, and the untillable knob in the 1st picture. In this pic you can see the start of the rock pile on the left.
151187.jpg

I did not get to see if the John Deere was a 4020 or 4320, or 4010, or 4000, or....... But I trust your judgement for you are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for the info! Same for the tires and the lack of traction. Heritage Iron, hmmm, I think I need to subscribe!

I also think I need to contact Firestone to see if they will reintroduce the 23 degree Ag Tires for all the HP our Cub Cadets have.....

VINCENT - I was on Cedar Rapids Tire's website this AM and they still list the 23-8.50 X 12 2-ply 23 Deg. Firestones for $78.?? each. Not sure if they have any but with the rumors that Firestone is out and isn't making anymore I was surprised to see them.
I used to know ALL the National OEM sales managers for GY, Firestone, & BFG back when I worked at FARMALL. Problem is that was about 30 yrs ago and They're ALL gone.
I don't think that Deare on the rock picker is a 4010. Dad had one, a diesel w/wide frt end. Nice enough tractor to run, just wasn't a real big HORSE, Even with the 4020 Kit in it, it still would only pull most of Our 4-bottom sized equip. maybe 1 MPH faster than the old Farmall 450-G the 4010 replaced. And like most 4010's We fixed the 24V electrical system, the rear draft link sensing seals, replaced the head gasket, water pump, finally a clutch, couple sets of batteries. We couldn't even use it for most PTO jobs because the four 3/8" capscrews that held the rear PTO stubshaft on would work loose. Only normal problem We didn't have to fix was the hyd. pump drive off the frt of the crankshaft.

Heritage Iron is written by Sherry Schaefer who also writes the Oliver Equip. magazine "OLIVER HERITAGE". Website is "heritageiron.com" or call 866-418-5548. It's got ALL colors of iron and all types of equipment. First issue had a pedal tractor article, and another good article on BIG pull-type combines. And every magazine has had an article about historical houses You can tour that were built by some of the early pioneers of the farm equipment business. There's a couple houses just down I-90 in Rockford, IL. Wife & I have to visit some weekend! They were the I-H connection.

Oops, I over guessed the size of the plows last year. Here they are, I do remember the IH 7220 spinning a lot, I am guessing he had no weight, no fluid in the rear tires. I remember the John Deere 4440 coming up behind him and stopping a few times waiting for him to continue.
151279.jpg

151280.jpg

VINCENT - 7220 is a pretty good sized HORSE. Looks like His right side dual is hanging out over the last furrow! Tough to get weight transfer with that 6-bottom pull-type plow too. I've never plowed with an on-land hitch plow. I'd sure like to try it sometime!
The 4440 should roll along pretty good, looks like only a 4-bottom plow. My Brother-in-law bought a brand new 4440 about 27-28 yrs ago when He & My Sister-in-law first got married. He pulled 4-18's with it for quite a few years because He got the plow really cheap at an auction.

About 5-6 yrs ago a couple regulars from this forum went to the IH Collector's Club Chapter 4 Wisconsin Plowday in Oconomowoc, WI. Odd place for a PD because it's maybe 20 miles from downtown Milwaukee. We plowed the sweetcorn patch, 2-3 acres maybe. But I did get to hitch a ride in an IH 5288 FWA pulling a 6-bottom IH 735 variable width auto-reset plow. The DT-466 was recently dyno'd @ 185 HP. Young man running that beast had to watch how deep He ran that plow....I think He had it plowing 14-15 inches deep one pass. He hit a big rock on another pass, the #2,3, & 4 bottoms tripped & reset and all You felt in the tractor was a little shudder, He didn't even know what happened, but I saw the whole event and it was REALLY awesome to watch. This new (if You consider a 25 yr old tractor & plow "New"!) really makes fieldwork easy compared to the way Dad farmed back in the '60's.
ihrotate.gif

Latest posts

Back