• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Help with starter on newer xt1 46"

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nat hurst

Howdy
Im having issue with starter. It actuates properly but will not keep turning over after initial engagement. It pops up, tries to start one time them hummm
Please help

Howdy
Im having issue with starter. It actuates properly but will not keep turning over after initial engagement. It pops up, tries to start one time them hummm
Please help
My grandma has the same mower. Her starter sounds a bit weird to me and my dad and the engine takes a bit to start. Heck, my old 90s Murray starts easier. I watched a YouTube video a while back about the new Kohler Cub Cadet starters. Unfortunately, they are commonly notorious for going bad and there is no upgraded version. They just don’t make things that last anymore I guess. A humming sound though can also mean the solenoid is going bad.

Not sure if I follow your description but here goes...Starters don't last as long as they used to but they are not terribly expensive .There are quite a few aftermarket ones available. If you're saying it just continues to turn but kicks out of the flywheel it is probably internal to the starter but if the engine fires quickly but doesn't run the starter will release quickly also...I would check/clean all connections first before buying a new one.I recently had one that a few drops of oil cured the issue,it was so dry inside it was actually dragging.The gear can be raised without power by turning it by hand.It's worth a try.Put oil on the mainshaft below the gear and hope it makes a difference..Not much help but you got to start somewhere...If you know how to bypass sol. you can prove that point.

Howdy
Please help

Not sure if I follow your description but here goes...Starters don't last as long as they used to but they are not terribly expensive .There are quite a few aftermarket ones available. If you're saying it just continues to turn but kicks out of the flywheel it is probably internal to the starter but if the engine fires quickly but doesn't run the starter will release quickly also...I would check/clean all connections first before buying a new one.I recently had one that a few drops of oil cured the issue,it was so dry inside it was actually dragging.The gear can be raised without power by turning it by hand.It's worth a try.Put oil on the mainshaft below the gear and hope it makes a difference..Not much help but you got to start somewhere...If you know how to bypass sol. you can prove that point.
Nope
Neither is help. Ty.
Thought i was pretty clear. Let me try again.
I turn the key.
The starter gets power and actuates (goes up and turns the flywheel).
Only one revolution. Stays up until i turn off the key.
New Chinese starter.
The original starter did the same thing.
Freshly charged battery.

Howdy
Please help
I don't really care for this new stuff. I'd like some old dependable lawn tractor...... i don't need a Kyshmann greenscutter

Nat,If I understand you..you're saying starter stays engaged until you turn key off but engine is not turning...Try this, remove spark plugs and make sure wires can't touch metal. Note rather cyl had gas in them by turning by hand. This would be a liquid pressure lock if they have gas...If no gas is found,Crank engine,if it turns over fine then you probably have a compression release that is not working or a weak battery(it takes a strong batt to turn past comp)...You could prove batt by jumping from auto....todays mower batts are much worse than todays starters...A faulty comp.release is a complete engine tear down and not fun...report back what you find...

Nat,If I understand you..you're saying starter stays engaged until you turn key off but engine is not turning...Try this, remove spark plugs and make sure wires can't touch metal. Note rather cyl had gas in them by turning by hand. This would be a liquid pressure lock if they have gas...If no gas is found,Crank engine,if it turns over fine then you probably have a compression release that is not working or a weak battery(it takes a strong batt to turn past comp)...You could prove batt by jumping from auto....todays mower batts are much worse than todays starters...A faulty comp.release is a complete engine tear down and not fun...report back what you find...
Omgoodness. I appreciate your thoughts. I shall check that out. Thank you

Well Mr Noblit,
Just want to say , thank you very much for you help. I took plugs out . Moved piston couple cycles. Yes, the one cylinder was not released. Once i got to the other cylinder it started right up.
Guess i know how to get it started now. Lol. 😆
Now i have 2 good starters.
God bless you brother.
NH

Well Mr Noblit,
Just want to say , thank you very much for you help. I took plugs out . Moved piston couple cycles. Yes, the one cylinder was not released. Once i got to the other cylinder it started right up.
Guess i know how to get it started now. Lol. 😆
Now i have 2 good starters.
God bless you brother.
NH
That's what makes this forum awesome, lot of different ideas and views can help diagnose most problems 👍😎👍

Nat, you've got part of it figured out but you need to find the cause.It will happen again.Only guessing a fuel leak is causing liquid lock.. I'm not familiar with xt but if it's gravity fed fuel it might need a shut off in line...A lot of little things to check out...

Nat, you've got part of it figured out but you need to find the cause.It will happen again.Only guessing a fuel leak is causing liquid lock.. I'm not familiar with xt but if it's gravity fed fuel it might need a shut off in line...A lot of little things to check out...
I put new fuel filter on last year, did install shut off. I will try using it.....

Latest posts

Back