• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Help! Cub 2180 electrical issues

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlgibson

displayname
Jason Gibson
This last weekend I made a bonehead move and hooked up jumper cables to my cub backwards. I put a new battery in, replaced a fuse that blew, and had the cillinoid tested. The cillinoid tested ok. When I turn the key in blows the fuse before I start cranking it over. I'm guessing I probably need to replace the wiring harness since it's all connected and probably impossible to know if any of those wires are ruined, but don't know what else to check. I'm trying to avoid the crazy labor fees if I take it in to get looked at.

Any thoughts? Yes, I know that I shouldn't have hooked the jumper cables backwards! It was 100+ degrees and extremely humid, and I did this after replacing a front tire that I had to take off of another old rim which come to find out had a tube in it and leaked after I put it in. It was a wonderful day.

Jason - Sounds like you still have the solenoid wired wrong or you have some melted / shorted wires in the harness.
If you're intent on fixing it yourself double check that you have the solenoid wired correctly and if it still blows the fuse you'll have to unhook the battery and start peeling the harness apart. You should be able to see it melted some if you get a good light and start investigating.

Jason - I assume you're talking about the 2180 that you listed in your profile ...

According to the Parts Lookup it shows the solenoid only has 1 wire going to the coil (solenoid coil) so I don't guess you could wire it wrong. I thought it might be like the older ones that use a (+) (-) wire to energize the coil but yours if chassis grounded.

So ... it looks like you need to tear into the harness.

Thanks Greg, I will definetly give it a try before just buying the new wiring.

Jason - I've not heard of a lead diode. How about a fusible link ?

At any rate , thanks for letting us know that there's something no so obvious to look for.
A lot of guys get their answer and never are heard from again.

Ken, a couple years back another member had a problem with charging the battery. It turned out to be a diode, cleverly hidden in the output wire between the rect/reg block and the rest of the harness. Not show anywhere, except in the parts callout for the engine! Now this problem could be a fuse-link as you noted.

Latest posts

Back