• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Grinding wheel dressers

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmarkle

displayname
Todd Markle (Farmallgray)
I decided that my bench grinder wheel needs some attention. It is a little out of round and I need sharper corners for grinding lathe tools.
I ordered a dresser in at work (NAPA) and it is basically a rectangular stone about 6" long. The ones I'm fmailiar with have the little wheels with teeth.
Will this stone style work ok, and is there any special way to use it, or would I be better off with the wheel type?

Todd, I've only used the steel wheel type and they work quite well, never tried any other type. Did it come with directions? How is it supposed to be used? Just held up to the spinning wheel to grind the wheel back to round with sharp corners?
dunno.gif

Todd, I have one of the stone dressers and it works fine. I like it better than the wheel type. You just hold it to the wheel and guide it to shape the wheel as you desire.

Here is an excerpt from our Rotary Blade Grinder Manual.

DRESSING THE GRINDING WHEEL
From time to time, the grinding wheel may build up steel particles
in the grinding surface and will need to be dressed.
Each machine is supplied with one dressing stick. While the
grinder is running, hold this brick in the grinder the same way
you grind a blade. Move the brick back and forth until the
surface of the wheel is free of debris.
ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES WHEN
DRESSING A WHEEL.

The Spinning Wheel Type Dressing Tool is called a Desmond Dresser. Let me know if someone is interested, they are less than $20, plus shipping, so probably $25 would include shipping.

The Dressing Brick should work fine, there is a lot of dust when dressing a wheel so make sure you are wearing proper safety glasses, etc. The Desmond Dresser will clean a wheel VERY fast and a person could take off more material than necessary.

Vince

Vincent:
Great information - I've been looking for a Desmond Dresser, but didn't know what the name was - they've got a great web site (google "desmond dresser"), (that Swirl-Off tool looks interesting, too)..
thumbsup.gif

Your welcome Kendell, just happens to be something I know a little about..... First time for everything... I work for a company that builds Grinders, mostly for the reel type mowers found on Golf Courses worldwide.

99% of the time I look at this website for advise, seems odd to give out some...

Have a great day!

Vince

Thanks guys.
It did not come with any directions. I tried it out last night and it trued the wheel up nice.
I then used the grinder to sharpen a 3/32 drill bit and it seemed to grind much smoother.

Todd:
Did you mean the stone type dresser? (I see Desmond has instructions on their website for the metal type..).
I grind tungsten electrodes for TIG welding on my grinder and you're supposed to dedicate a wheel to just that to avoid contamination - naturally, the wheel gets used for everything from touching up lathe bits to grinding mysterious substances off my boot soles, so I'm gonna go after a Desmond to clean it up..

Latest posts

Back