Gold Rush 2012 'The Jungle'

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aschumacher

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Allen Schumacher
At the risk of being shouted at for bringing this up a year later, a new adventure(?) started last night.
Todd and his dad, Dave(quarry operator), a new Fred(gold expert) head to Georgetown Guyana to check out gold prospecting. They thought they had a area claimed, but when they got there, they found they had been duped (duh!). Fast forward, they got a 4800 acre claim in the rain forest. An adventure on a river, with a claim that is very difficult to get at hacking thru the jungle. They need to find out if the area will support $50-60 gold per yard of dirt mined. Last year they were happy with $10 yard. So I guess we will see how this pans out. Does anyone know how to spell MAYDAY ? Gonna need a can of bug spray to watch this new version.

Just for fun I ran 4800 acres thru a conversion program.
Comes out to about 7.7 sq. miles !
Think the have enough dirt to dig in ??
construction.gif

Thats about 3 times bigger than my town !!!<font size="-2">Ya I know, everythings bigger in (pic a state)!</font>

Yeah, I saw the show. Todd wants to mine year round. Did you see how the locals re-cover their gold? With MERCURY that they pass/push around with their hands!!
facepalm.gif

I see this thread is a real thriller...
aaaa_tongue2.gif
...but anyway the show moved to Tuesday night. They had a repeat of the origional show,,,with the 'After show' following. Seems they are going to go back to the Klondike as its the easiest access and use. Money and access and production problems will let South America ride for a while, but its still up for future exploration.

There is NO FREAKIN' WAY you would catch me in that environment! Snakes, bugs,......UGH. Not to mention the crazy a$$ government. Wait a minute theres a crazy a$$ government here.

I watched part of the show Tuesday night and they were in Canada and the ole guy, don't remember his name, was just released from the hospital after his last heart attack. Maybe it was a rerun? I had no idea how the gold was mined but I was shocked to learn exactly how destroyed/destroy so much for materilistic pursuits!! As you shared in your post Allen S " They need to find out if the area will support $50-60 gold per yard of dirt mined. Last year they were happy with $10 yard. ". Greed comes calling huh? lol. That's all they get for a yard of dirt? What is the cost of the destruction that can't ever be replaced? just pondering that.

poof.gif
. The habitat for all that lives/lived there..forever destroyed. I wonder if those who strive for such gain ever
1a_scratchhead.gif
ponder that? Of course not. As long as it's not their backyard being destroyed, who cares?

I am NOT bashing any of you guys or gals who enjoy the show.I have no doubts the line-up of characters are very entertaining.! enjoy the show.
thumbsup.gif
. I'm sure a whole lot of drama will happen as the new season unfolds.

have a good one..

Cath aka Angel

Cath,
I hear you, but if they don't screw it all up, someone else will.

Allen, yes, this thread is so far a snoozer! LOL.

Tom, I agree, to many bugs/snakes other things that bite for me! YUCK!

Cath, gotta disagree on some points.. someones back yard? maybe a bears or some moose.. but i'm sure they don't mind, there's room to grow all around.

Destroy.. In the USA at least, they'll be required to meet a restoration plan so it's all nice and pretty when their through. Not like 50 + years ago when the mining company would just walk away. Heck, even our farm has to have a restoration plan for when we close our sand pit! It's tiny compared to what these guys are moving for material!

The price requirement is due to the costs of moving the gold out of the jungle. With no roads or trucks etc. they'll probably need to hire helicopters to haul it safely. Or build / establish a road for the 5/10/20 miles to get to the nearest town with an assay office... that gets expensive I'm sure!

Well, looks like its time to start this thread again.
Saw a preview/trailer last night that said Gold Rush Alaska was coming back on Oct 26. They were showing pictures of all 3 previous operators and stated that someone gonna hit it big! Half of my fun is reading what Tom H. has for comments about how the 'ole man runs his excavator! <font size="-2">Go for it Tom!</font>

Frank, your article is in keeping with mining safety and land management. Seems we are going a little crazy with this 'fracking' stuff. People in Pennsylvania want to ship used liquids to New Jersey for recycling, but the Governor said 'No Way'! Seems like we are getting the cart before the horse in many of these new technolgies!

I guess someone is going to make $$ this year. Todd has 2 crews now and a bunch of heavy equipment.
Then there are the two going for gold in Ghana Africa. Good luck guys. Guess they survived since the pair is on TV.

Allen: I watched 2-1/2 hours of gold-digging last night.

First, I monitored the interviews to "catch-us-up" to the current season as you re-capped --OK.

Then, I watched Todd and Dave try to get started, I'm sure Dave is chafing already under Todd's "leadership." --OK.

Finally, I TRIED to watch the two guys trying to pay off their million-dollar mortgages in Ghana. I find it difficult to build up a lot of sympathy for them, even the wife (she basically told him this was it, she was bailing if he didn't come back with a million dollars in 3 months --talk about pressure!)

But when they headed out to do a back-alley deal so they could make a mortgage payment, I had to switch it. I wish them luck with the armed Chinese miners, but I'm just not that into it.

However, the interviews did bring up a point that Mike Frade kept making last year. We only see what they want us to see. They are, after all, trying to create a story line, and selection is a very big part of developing a plot. But Dakota Fred specifically related that the only reason he was back on television was because he felt he had been unfairly portrayed as an evil person on last year's show. I'm sure that the director jacked his ratings by showing Fred as a bad guy, and I still think Dakota Fred (or Todd Hoffman, depending on your perspective) gave him the basic material with which to work. After all, can Fred really deny that he enjoyed telling the Hoffman crew that he had leased the mine out from underneath them?

Ah well, that was last season.

I'll be curious to see if Parker's gamble works out. I wouldn't discredit 75,000 yards of material on the basis of a single pan.

Maybe with two crews, the Hoffman gang will make their goal of a million dollar season.

However, the most productive piece of ground, shovel-for-shovel was the Porcupine Hill claim Fred and his son are working, but then, it just doesn't seem to be that big a claim.

We'll see.

My Friday night is blocked out.
smile.gif

I'm glade to see they got a dozer with ice grousers(sp). Looks like they have some serious iron up there now.
Dave's obvious statment, "Gee, this D9 has more power that the D8." YA THINK! I'll bet the D10 has more power than the D9.

Well here we go again... interesting that Todd & crew are using the divide and conquer strategy but, with what they've spent for all the machines and equipment... Now they need to really hit a big pile of ore!

The 2 other guys just simply bore the _ ell out of me. I doubt I'll even watch this one. And truthfully, I am so sick and tired of any Alaska show... enough is enough already.. my point oh two.

Oh what a mess...the jungle guys are sinking into the mud and Fred fired the nimrod excavator operator The woman seems to know a bit luckily. The bright leader on the Hoffman crew pulled out their shaker just to find out the new unit is weeks away !
Tom, I may have heard you hollering at the 'idiots' all the way here in NJ!
proud.gif

Latest posts

Back