• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Gardens 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The potatoes are doing better also.
259584.jpg

So far, mine sucks!!! Had to replant corn TWICE as well as some of the pole beans. Did get a good crop of asparagus but it'a about done for this season.

Dave S.

Dave: Sorry about your garden --I'm assuming you were drowned out-- you certainly are perseverant!

Luther: If the corn is part of your garden, you've got a huge plot! The corn here in North Carolina is "high as an elephant's eye." and looks very good, as does the tobacco. (They've just harvested the winter wheat ahead of the rain storms today and tomorrow; or at least the smart farmers have.)

Wes: Enjoyed reading about your first "shirtless" Cub day. I'm afraid I would be more than a "little red" after being outside in the middle of the day. I've learned to protect myself after taking antibiotics and other medicine which made my skin VERY sensitive to the sun's rays. We're not fourteen years old forever; take care of yourself out there.
smile.gif

Jeremiah we do plant a huge garden. We enjoy using the 124 102 and100 cub cadets to plow, and till the garden so we don't have to use a hoe to work the garden. We invest around 50 dollars in seed, fertilize and vegetable oil for the corn and make the neighbors happy plus usually sell around 500 dollars in corn. Also harvest around 25 bushels potatoes for us and the neighbors. Retirement is good.

Look the other way if you're squeemish....

I got these pics last night from a good friend. He has an apple orchard with an electric fence around it to keep the deer out.

Occasionally they'll get Snapping Turtles coming up from the lake out back to lay eggs in the spring.

259661.jpg

Apparently this one had an issue with the electric fence, bit it, and didn't let go until it killed him. 14,000 Volts!

259662.jpg

It's mouth had to pried off with a screwdriver...

I wonder why the snapper bit the fence in the first place?????? It's certainly a shame. I hate to hear of anything dying needlessly and this situation may have taken some time at that.

My cat Barney found a snapper the other day going across land. It was only about the size of a socker ball, not as big as this one. I had to put Barney in the house for a couple of hours until the turtle was gone. I also posted pics of one a couple of years ago that was visiting my garden. It's always amazed me how these guys will take off and travel but that's nature.

To the upper midwest gardeners.
How is your garlic this year? My garlic looks horrible. I might not even have enough to replant.

My corn is ready to put oil in the silk. My beans are ready for the first picking, and with almost 7 inches rain this week I can't walk in my garden. The weeds are taking over the garden.

Terry, my garlic is not doing very well this year.
sad.gif

Terry,

This is the first year for me to try garlic and it is not dong well either. The people I got mine from are not having much luck either. I planted mine this spring after a week in the refrigerator not the traditional planting in the fall.

Nice crop David.We finished the corn yesterday, and will dig the potatoes as soon as it is dry enough.

Thanks Folks! We are gonna can up the smaller ones today plus there were a few that got fork damaged, ain't that always the case!, and a few that had some bad spots in 'em so they will find their way into a big 'ol pot of tater soup and tater salad Im sure.

Started pulling stuff in our garden, Potatos did not do as well as last years less than half.
oinions and peppers ok. Tomatos good, and beans should of been done earlier but we will get more of them.

262097.jpg

262098.jpg

262099.jpg

262100.jpg

This weather sure as h--- should finish 'em off. I hate this hot $--t!

Good looking vegies there Jeff. Our garden is finished except for the sweet potatoes. Our potatoe crop was a little short and the tomatoes just hang on the vine and not ripen. We sold a lot of corn and gave friends corn. Planted 2 pound seed and harvested 1500 ears nice sweet corn. Last week we planted the potatoe patch in mustard and turnip greens for a cover crop and for the friends and neighbors.

Everyones garden crops look good. Reminds me of earlier days, we had a garden, grandparents had a garden and later my in-laws had a garden - all of it tasted so much better, makes me want to put in a garden - just have too many snakes (rattlers) and deer. It is not fun finding rattlers in the cucumbers and squash - they like them especially because of the cover. Anyway, your crops sure look good.

Rodney there is just something about ratlers and copperheads and cucumber vines. We used to find them in the garden every year.
We got a small frost here yesterday, so I had to get the vines off the sweet potatoes yesterday. I dug one small row and harvested about 1.5 bushel potatoes. Just 2 rows to go and the cub cadets can rest for a while.

Had to get the fall gardening done. Yesterday I dug the potatoes 7.5 bushels and got everything ready for winter. Will take some potatoes to the kids in Boone Iowa Thursday.

Back