• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Gardens 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jharvey

displayname
Jerry Harvey "Nines are wild"
I'll try to kick this off. I've been given a truck load of wood mulch and have already mulched most of our trees. Is there any reason to not use this in the garden to mulch tomatoes, peppers etc.?
257114.jpg

Jerry, if it has black walnut wood in it don't use it in the garden. Black walnut gives off a chemical that is toxic to other plants and inhibits growth. My guess is that there's not likely to be black walnut wood in it. If you do use it in your garden as a mulch, be aware that as the microbes break it down they will tie up nitrogen so your soil will be nitrogen deficient for a while. Once it is fully broken down the nitrogen will be released again. You may want to add some nitrogen to balance it out. Be careful though, to much nitrogen and you'll have lush green tomato plants with no fruit. You'd be better off saving it for around the trees, just don't pile it up to much around the trunks, leave a little breathing room. Or mix it into a compost pile with some grass clippings and once the compost has completed breaking down then add it to the garden or use it to mulch around flower beds.

It's snowing here again today. It's snowed every day for the past 5 or 6 days. I'm starting to think I'm not going to get a summer to have a garden.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks Kraig
Sorry you cheeseheads and vikings are getting dumped on again. I've got potatos, radishes and onions in (onions are up already). Waiting now for it to dry out and get some more stuff in.

We went from 24 to 84 in 2 days. This week i gave the cubs a workout and plowed two gardens.I planted my potatoes, peas, onions and bedded some sweet potatoes.
Kraig i appreciate the info on the mulch. I have two truckloads that i don't know if it has walnut in it. I will wait to use it.

It was in the 70s here today with plenty of sunshine. My niece and her hubby came to put in corn, beans, squash, and onions. We had a good cub day as you can see. I tilled and John marked the rows with the cultivator. The niece ran the little Earthway planter which does a nice job. We got it all done in just a couple of hours.

257154.jpg

Does anyone know of a good way to control cutworms in the squash? It seems like that question comes up every year.

Wayne a small stick or toothpick pushed down beside the plant stem will work.If the cutworm can't get all way around the stem he can't cut it. That works for me.

More cub time today!
Cultivated, laid off some rows, planted some corn and three types of beans.

257714.jpg

Works great for laying off the rows!

257715.jpg

Marty i like your cultivator set up. We have onions, peas, cabbage,Beets, and salad greens planted. Will be planting corn and beans Thursday.

Luther,

Yes, it works great. Here is a side view. The center cultivator (sticking up in front of the cinderblock) has a rebar shaft. The plow blade has the original shaft on it.
When I use one, I just stick the other in the top and it stays there until I get ready for it.

257738.jpg

did some tilling yesterday, after spreading some ash around.

258596.jpg

258597.jpg

258598.jpg

258599.jpg

Thank you Kraig
and Jeremiah no ignorance taken,. no such thinh as a stupid question (probaly a idiom)

Jeff, I finally got my garden tilled tonight. I spent most of the day yesterday pulling a K301 out of my 169 chassis and reattaching the flywheel screen. Then I pulled the very tired K301 out of the 109 and installed the other one. After going grocery shopping, starting laundry, and mowing the lawn today, I finally got around to seeing if she would fire. Put some charge in the battery, made sure everything was connected. put some fresh gas in the tank and cranked it over. She fired right up on the 3rd revolution. Not bad for an engine that has been sitting for 2 years.. I then installed the grill, (kind of light in the front end with a tiller on with out it) and tilled the garden. Finally got in the house about 6:30 and took a shower. First day working outside with shorts and no shirt. I little red but I will survive. It was a good cub day.

The ground is finally warm enough to help the garden grow.
259301.jpg

I am now enjoying watching the garden grow.Last post 06 09 13. This is today.
259581.jpg

Latest posts

Back