• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Fitting Bushinngs

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnolte

displayname
Bruce Nolte
I made an attempt to install a bronze sleeve bushing into a clutch pressure plate whose center hole was dogged out. I had a 3/4 inch drill bit and a 5/8 x 3/4 inch bushing. The inside diameter of the bushing rode smoothly over the unworn portion of a drive shaft, so that wasn't really an issue, but once I enlarged the 5/8 hole in the clutch plate to 3/4 inch, the bushing slid into place with just finger pressure, a little less pressure than I would have liked. Right now I am depending on the roll pin to hold the bushing in place, but short of going larger still and using another bushing, are there any other options, such as Locktite or knurling?

Bruce - use a combo of knurling it and then using a stud lock (Loctite, etc.) to lock it in. Make sure that the stud lock works on higher temps...Got bit by drill sizes?? I'd like to get a good set of reamers for just this purpose, seems like every drill I've got drills oversize triangular holes.....
clappy.gif

Bruce,

Take a small sharp punch and rasie some spike up on the inside of the clutch plate. Similar to knurling but a little less technical. With a little loctite it should hold fine.

I know Green loctite #609 works well for fixing bearings to shafts, I've used it at work, but only on steel shafts and bearing races, AFAIK. I've also seen the Red loctite used to fix spark plug hole inserts on several cylinder heads, but the spark plugs seem to unscrew the inserts as often as not.

I've also tried to "stake the insert as well. I'm getting ready to pull the old 102 apart to strip it for spares, I might try to see what I can do with the pressure plate in that, in case it has to come apart again.

All drills create a triangular hole! Some just look more round than others.

But some are more oversize than others...
clappy.gif

you could also sneak up on the size using smaller sized drills and/or countersink it first with a csink that is of a greater angle than the drill. the countersink will allow for smoother cutting action especially with a less than rigid set up. I usually keep a 120 degree zero flute around to compliment 118 degree drills. If you're capable of sharpening drills there are tricks to make a drill cut undersize for a nice press fit too. I could go on all day about this topic as I live and breath machining. Hope this helps

Davin E,
I would like to know the trick for making an undersize hole. I do know how to make a bit cut an oversize hole, but not undersized.

Could you also further explain how to use the countersink? What does a zero flute look like?
I'm familiar with a single flute.

I always use a pilot/smaller hole for anything over 1/4".

Todd:
From an ICS tools catalog:
183359.jpg

I've got a couple of these from my dad's tools..

Back