• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Farmall M questions

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mweakley

displayname
Michael John Weakley
Hello My name is Michael Weakley! I'm sorta new to this. I joined about 3 months ago, But I've known about this site for 2 to 3 years because of plow days. I'm 15 years old, and my friend and I have been rebuilding Cub cadets for 3 to 4 years from scratch. We work on the queit line series. Some of you may know me by the plow days, because I'm usually up there plowing, or talking cubs with someone! I've wanted to upgrade from rebuilding cubs and go to the Farmall letter series!

This one is my first Tractor and my only tractor! I have a 1950 M, that has a Distributor, and an Overdrive! It is started by a normal starter by todays standards. So this dosn't have the Starter/Generator! Except I need help on the Distributor. I can't tell if it is a Delco remy or what! So I didn't know if some of you guys would be able to tell just by looking at the photo!
Also I have an Overdrive that dosn't engage! I was hoping that maybe this sort of thing was common and could be an easiley fixed (even though it won't be an easy fix)!
My goal is to (obviously) fix the flat, Fix the Overdrive, recore the Radiator, redo the wireing, and Paint it! Thanks for your time! And Thanks for helpin out!

Sorry but it won't let me download photos right now! I will post later! My internet is so slow right now it will hardly take this! Thanks for your time!

Michael, The pictures would answer this question for me, but I understand the problems with getting those on here, specially if you are on dial-up.
When you look at the top of the M, is there one fuel cap, or two? Reason for this is, I think you might have something different than you think you have.

no thats not the kind of distributor. It is straight. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm let me try to download a photo.

83479.jpg

Here is the whole tractor too in case you wanted more of the tractor! It has a flat that I'm gonna fix in a couple of weeks! The only problem is it requires money that I don't have that needs to be earned!
83482.jpg

Michael. It has been a few years since I've been around the H and M FARMALL tractors. Someone will correct me if I am wrong however that looks to be the IH distributor. The one that did a 90* elbow was a Delco Remy. My Dad's first tractor was a 1946 Farmall H that my parents purchased new after he was discharged from the army after WWII. For some reason my mother would never let him update (trade) to a bigger tractor after they had purchased a new 1949 FARMALL M. Both tractors were eventually updated to the Super series engine during an overhaul. Both tractors were used to farm 280 acres up until my Dad's passing in February 1971. That spring the H started to act up again and we leased a MF65. Ended up buying the Massey since we put so many hours on it and the dealer gave us a good price on it. the next winter my Mom decided after all these years suddenly we needed a new 966. She gave the H to the implement dealer and it sat unbeknownst to me for several years at a cousin's farm awaiting to be parted out. When I found out the location I immediately bought the old H back for $200 in pieces. I also bought the remains of another H that had been parted about the same time. good thing that I did for I later traded the clutch housing from that tractor to get back the clutch housing from my Dad's H. Now sadly my Dad's H is sitting still in pieces awaiting should I ever find time to put it all back together. Definitely keep us posted on your progress with your M.
happy.gif

p.s. The M sad to say... somehow the block got cracked after I left the farm. I have a theory just how that happened only I won't go there. TOO upsetting.

Thank you! That will help with alot of my troubles! Thanks you guys are the best!! And I will post more on my tractor! On june 21 and 22 at Seaton Il. There is going to be a antique tractor show and parade! I will be attending that with this tractor! I plan on having the flat fixed by then! Thanks again!

Micheal, that tractor appears to have a front pedisal from a Super M under it. They have a different style casting in the hub area. I dont know if it matters to you but , if you were looking for an original restoration it wouldnt be correct. It seems to otherwise be a straight sound tractor from the pics. It also has the band brakes so thats the dead giveaway between the (M) and the (super M) good luck on your project. And remember Restore not Recycle keep the past up to date

Latest posts

Back