Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

electric CC riding mower?! when did that happen?

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

rrschmitt

displayname
Ron R. Schmitt
The RER Cadets had some assembly required by the dealer when unpacking from the shipping crate. Filling the battery with acid, attaching the seat, steering wheel and rear hitch were required. I think the Mower decks on the Cadet 60's came installed from Memphis but the later models with the side discharge had to be installed by the dealer.

PACub100

for those more experienced with the old 95 electric, what's the reason behind the key switch having a 'start' position? Being electric wouldn't that not be necessary?
I don't know but my guess would be simply that's what they used on similar gas models and the "start" would be nonfunctional. :drool2:

mfrade

displayname
Mike Frade
for those more experienced with the old 95 electric, what's the reason behind the key switch having a 'start' position? Being electric wouldn't that not be necessary?
More than likely they used a "latching relay" circuit. So any safety switches and/or the OFF switch can stop the circuit independently .

pdbuck

displayname
Paul D. Buck Sr.
My Neighbor has a GE riding electric mower, he told me one time that it was 50 to 60 yrs old or older. It is a massive machine. it is built a lot stouter than the ones showing up in these post.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
I don't know but my guess would be simply that's what they used on similar gas models and the "start" would be nonfunctional. :drool2:
That was my first thought, but the regular gas riders just had a key switch, the mower deck was a mechanical lever.

I think that Mike has it correct.

Cadet_Riding_Mowers_03a.jpg

Cadet_Riding_Mowers_04a.jpg

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
My Neighbor has a GE riding electric mower, he told me one time that it was 50 to 60 yrs old or older. It is a massive machine. it is built a lot stouter than the ones showing up in these post.
One of these?

An add from a May 1971 National Geographic:

May 1971 Electric GEa.jpg

May 1971 Electric GEb.jpg

PACub100

kharvey

displayname
Kendal Harvey
My landlord when we were first married had one of the GE Electrac mowers. His wife mowed about 3 acres every week with it. It was all batteries under the hood and seat. but it was a lot quieter than a Cub Cadet.

justinpittman

displayname
Justin
That GE looks nice with that front mower deck.

I'd think a bunch of lead acid batteries would also double as weights, like for that snowthrower attachment.

There's a nice write-up with pics of a guy over on BuiltItSolar.com restoring one of these GEs. Evidently the E15 model is a 6 pack of lead acids. (I'm not affiliated with BuiltItSolar but read their stuff for my RV solar setup).

pdbuck

displayname
Paul D. Buck Sr.
Yes, that's the one. I have been trying to buy it for 25 yrs, but he will not come off it.

tkhoffman

displayname
Tony Hoffman
My neighbor had the GE, just sold it. It was a restoration project and high hopes to fit in with his solar panel/green farm. It wasn't practical. Batteries would not last. The snowblower really drained them fast.

Latest posts