• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Dead mower

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bart Hinz

Hey everyone,

Not sure what is going on with my mower. Was mowing today and for a couple hours there no issues. While mowing the mower just died and won't restart. Dead silence when I turn the key. Any suggestions??

Hey everyone,

Not sure what is going on with my mower. Was mowing today and for a couple hours there no issues. While mowing the mower just died and won't restart. Dead silence when I turn the key. Any suggestions??
1692233060813.jpeg

The ignition switch/connector is another common source of issues on most vintage Cubs.

Last edited:
Marc, the first I would do ..check batt. for voltage.If batt went dead,solenoid on carb won't work elec.clutch draws juice also.. hook up jumpers and test before taking apart anything.. It might be a charging issue . If it starts with jumpers test across batt posts to see if you're getting at least 14 volts (with jumpers unhooked)..If not you know where to start to analyze...

Marc, the first I would do ..check batt. for voltage.If batt went dead,solenoid on carb won't work elec.clutch draws juice also.. hook up jumpers and test before taking apart anything.. It might be a charging issue . If it starts with jumpers test across batt posts to see if you're getting at least 14 volts (with jumpers unhooked)..If not you know where to start to analyze...
I was referring to the starter solenoid. When mine went recently, had same symptom

There's a fuse right at the battery tray - my parent's 1864 did something very similar, was running, nephew ran over a mostly buried 4x4 threshold while backing out of their greenhouse, the bounce shut the Cub down like right now... no lights or anything. We bypassed the fuse for now and have had no issues.

Do you have any lights on the dash when the key is on?

Hey everyone,

All mechanically sound engines require three things to run: (1) fuel, (2) air and (3) electrical spark. In diagnosing what's causing your engine to not run I would start by eliminating what it isn't to find out what it is.

A shot of starter fluid should help confirm whether it is getting fuel, checking the sparkplug for electrical spark will confirm if it is your problem and checking for obstructions in fuel flow will round out the tasks required to properly diagnose the problem. Good luck and keep us posted.

All mechanically sound engines require three things to run: (1) fuel, (2) air and (3) electrical spark. In diagnosing what's causing your engine to not run I would start by eliminating what it isn't to find out what it is.

A shot of starter fluid should help confirm whether it is getting fuel, checking the sparkplug for electrical spark will confirm if it is your problem and checking for obstructions in fuel flow will round out the tasks required to properly diagnose the problem. Good luck and keep us posted.

In his initial post, he states that it won't even turn over, so none of this matters until that problem is sorted out.

I'd be looking for a melted key switch connector for starters, as 1811Cub suggested.

Latest posts

Back