• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cylinder homes

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbdavis

displayname
Terry Davis
Hello all. I have a few engines that appear to have decent pistons and bores (haven't measured for specs) and would to attempt to just freshen them up with a deglazing/honing. I'm curious what others have used with success and any tips would be appreciated insofar as grit #, etc. I'm certain HF has them but need to use it several times instead of throwing it away after the first use. Also, if it helps, at this point I only have 7 and 12 hp engines to work with. Thanks

Terry-

Check out "flex hones" on Amazon. They have about a million. I went with the 80 grit but others may have different input about that.

Terry-

I just checked my flex hone and it's 180 grit, not 80 grit. It's my understanding the stone hones are for removing material and the flex hones are more for putting in the cross hatching. You can get the stone hones or cylinder hones from Amazon as well.

Terry Davis

Terry - There would be no need to hone a cylinder unless you have installed new rings to the bore.A good honing and new rings will bring a good engine back most times. but if the cylinder has gone egg shaped down in the bore like Cub engines do then a re bore is the only repair.

Sounds like I need to do some checking on how to accurately measure the bores, etc. before I do any honing whatsoever. Just had a 12 and 14 re-bored +10 and hoping the others will be ok with just honing, rings and valves. I have a gauge that I think is for measuring bores but have never used it so I'll pull it out and dust it off. Also going to pick up a piece of glass today for surfacing heads as posted recently by someone on the forum. Thanks fellas for your input.

A good set of micrometers and some snap gauges will do the best job of measuring bores, imho..

Back