• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet model 1912

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdelikowski

displayname
Tony Delikowski
Does someone out there know where I could find a wiring diagram for a CC 1912 tractor with a Kohler M18S engine with electronic ignition. Any good info for this model tractor would be appreciated. I would also like to get a hold of a good service manual for this.

Tony ,you need to figure out if your harness has been altered.the 1912 should have had an Onan in it.If it was changed to the Kohler did they swap a harness or just change it?
an 1872 2072 will have the magnum engine after a certain serial number.Early 1872s had onans

Tony, you can search the forum for wiring for a Magnum 18, I did. What messed me up more than anything was getting the right ignition switch and making sure it was wired correctly.

I'm not sure how the Onan worked, but a Kohler Magnum 18 (unlike a Kohler KT17) does not require the battery to fire the ignition. The problem is not how to get the engine started, the problem is how to turn it off. Since there is no ground terminal on a Kohler 17 switch, most people wire in a relay with ground on the Normally Closed terminal. This way, when the ignition is ON, the ground is removed from the motor's "kill switch;" and when the ignition is OFF, the relay is de-energized and the kill switch is grounded and the motor stops.

Again, if your ignition switch has a ground terminal, you don't need the relay; if your ignition switch does not have a ground contact, you need to install the relay.

The usual safety circuits are supposed to be wired in: (1) the starter will not turn if (a) the PTO switch is not in the OFF position AND (b) the brake switch is not closed. (2) The motor will not keep running if (a) the PTO switch is in the ON position and (b) the seat switch is open. Obviously, the PTO switch needs to be wired up correctly and the proper contacts being made.

Finally, if all the connections are tight the battery should be charging through the Ammeter, that is, the Ammeter will tell you if the alternator is getting juice to the battery or visa-versa.

If you can't find a wiring diagram, you can always make your own, I did. But the ones that are on the site, even if they aren't specifically for your machine, will help you identify key elements, like the ignition switch and the PTO switch, and tell you how they are supposed to function in the circuit.

Good luck

Thanks for all the info on wiring diagrams. As many times as I have been on this site I never realized there was a seperate item for wiring. I bought this 1912 from Madsen's service about 3 weeks ago. I asked Scott about it having a Kohler M18 engine in it instead of the Onan, he said that some of the 1912,s came with Kohler engines. The wiring for the most part looks like it hasn't been messed with except for the wires at the tail lights and the head lights. By the way I did get it to run after I changed the oil which looked like tar. Some people seem to think that oil changing is an option on these little tractors. I sure enjoy working on these things. Since I have been stricken with Cub Cadets I can't seem to get enough of them. At last count I found 17 of them in my shed. All running except for a cadet 81 which I picked up for parts. Sure is nice to have a site like the forum and sponsors like Madson,s and all the other sponsors. Makes this hobby a lot of fun especially when you get to play with these after restoring them.

Latest posts

Back