Chains saws

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwestfall

displayname
Chris Westfall
bought 3 new to me chains saws have cut about 9 cords of wood so far with the 1 i have now, but these 3 may help speed up or slow down the process!
235413.jpg

Chris, those look like nice vintage collector pieces to me. I say they'll slow down the wood cutting process.

235424.gif

can anyone say "OSHA" no chain breaks be careful Chris

Here's my christmas present, 2011 STIHL ms 170.

235447.jpg

At first I thought it would be a little under powered, but I was wrong. It cuts through red oak like it's nothing.

Chris: looks nice, what size bars are those?

Andrew: I agree, it is a sweet saw. The dealer termed mine a "limbing saw." It has such good control of the cut! I would much rather pick up it up than my M44. I look forward to letting it handle all the "round the yard" work in the future.

One note of caution: If yours has the easy-start option (as mine does), be careful not to pull the rope too hard, you can break the internals. I've already done it once to mine, and caught myself pulling too hard again yesterday.

Nice Picture.
smile.gif

Jeremiah: I think it's a little more than a limbing saw too. Mine doesn't have the Easy2Start feature, but thanks for the warning. The only complaint I have about it is I wish it had toolless fuel and oil caps.

1 is a sears model 917- 1956, the other 2 are mcculloch's 1953-1959

Chris is the Sears saw a David Bradley? I had one years ago and the recoil start was Fairbanks Morse. It looked a lot like the ones used on the recoil start Originals.

My Homelite 360 chain saw, purchased in the late 1970's, recently started acting up. It will run as long as the throttle is held wide open with the choke half on. As soon as the engine begins to slow down, it immediately stops. It will not run with the choke off. It starts fine. Any suggestions?

Wayne-

Any time I have a machine that needs the choke to run, especially a 2 stroke, I think diaphram in the carb. They simply weaken and need replacing. If it isn't that it has to be something with the fuel delivery or the way it is pumped.

Just my .02 worth...

Try a dose of Seafoam in it - I agree with Wayne that it could be a bad diaphragm, but I also have seen plugged idle circuits do what you are describing - it's worth the try - I use both the spray can and bottle of the stuff - and you gotta understand, I'm a mechanic's son - there are no "Miracle Cures in a Bottle"...
thumbsup.gif

Thanks, men. Never heard of it but I'll try the Seafoam first. The problem really came on quite suddenly; it's been a very dependable saw over the years. Don't use the saw regularly anymore but it's worked well when needed.

Is anyone aware of a repair/parts facility that has an inventory of older Homelite chain saw parts? My usual sites do not have the parts needed for a Homelite 360.

Gerry I.
I have to disagree with ya on the miracle cures in a bottom!

EVERY bottle contains some sort of MIRACLE cure, the problem is, most all of us EXPECT that MIRACLE CURE to be more than it is, or what it's advertised to be!
biggrin.gif

Anyone thinking about a new Husqvarna Saw should stop by their dealer next weekend. Just picked up one today and Husky is going to be selling canned fuel with their brand on it and will double your warranty if you buy a case when you buy your saw. This is supposed to start the 1st of Feburary. I have to go back next weekend to get the fuel since my dealers shipment hadn't come in yet. Something to consider if you were looking for a saw anyway. It has 1 year shelf life once opened and 5 yrs if it is factory sealed.

Speaking of Husqvarna saws, has anyone ever replaced the gas tank breather? Mine seems to be about 7/8 stopped up.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Marty G.
gas tank breather?
I didn't know they had one.

You mean the filter inside the tank?
They are about 4 bucks.

If that's what you mean, take a coat hanger, bend a hook on the end, grab the line, pull gently as they have a know tied in them and if you catch the filter it will pop off in the tank and if you have gas still in there, it's a PITA to get hold of it, LOL

Speaking of saws.
I finally had enough of the NO POWER thing with the 455, so I got me a 372XP to replace it, talking about a horse!!!!

Latest posts

Back