• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Best Oil for my 1512D?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgalante

displayname
Stephen Galante
It is time for me to change the oil in my 1512D. I have always had the service department at my CC dealer do it, while it has been there for other work, but I figured, why waste the money on something I can do myself. According to the manual, I should put 10w-30 or SAE 10, 20 or 30 (depending on Temperature) I use the unit year round, so I'm a little confused. I don't put enough hours on it to change oil 3 times a year (probably about 30 - 40 hours a year, total) I have done a search on the forum and found some people really loving Rotella, but the Rotella I have seen at TSC I think is 15w-40. The manual also says NOT to use Synthetics, yet I have seen people post about using Mobil-1. For those of you that have models with the Kubota diesel in them, what do you guys recommend? I live in Upstate NY, where the temperature is mostly in the 70's or 80's when the unit gets it's most work (cutting a half acre of grass, and more importantly plowing and discing in my garden. In the winter, I use it a few times to plow my 75' driveway, when the snow is too heavy for my walk behind snow blower.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
SteveG

I second what Matt is using, thats whats in my 782d as well as my 84 GMC 6.2L. You should get a model 450 two stage blower for that 1512. That would take care of that snow. I have one for my tractor. Cheers Mike

Thanks everyone. I'm going to pick up some Rotella 15W-40 tomorrow. Has anyone used an oil filter other than the Kubota brand for their 1512 or 782D? I was looking through a cross reference guide and it said that a FRAM PH3593A will work, not just for the expense of the Kubota filter, but my closest dealer is about 30 miles away, and I think I can get that filter at just about any Walmart or Automotive place. Just wondering if I anyone uses anything other than the Kubota filter, and will I hurt anything, so long as I get a "Brand-name" filter? One last thing, is it best to run the motor for a few minutes before I drain the oil, to make it come out easier? That's what I do on my car, just wondering if it makes sense on the tractor also.
Thanks again.... SteveG

I've heard negative things about fram filters. someone may be able to help you cross it to a better brand like napa, wix etc...

Stephen; Take the kabota filter number and cross it to a wix no. In my opinion this is the filter to use.Also rotella oil does very well in the cubbies I own. Just my 2c

Matt,

would you happen to have the purolator number for a mag18? thanks

Adrian-

No, unfortunately, I don't. I might have a Quaker State number laying around somewhere that you might be able to cross to one.

In case anyone is curious, the Purolator number for the Kubota D600 in a Cub Cadet is L14459.

Matt, that's the same number filter that my Isuzu Rodeo uses.
happy.gif

In case anyone else wants to know the correct WIX part number for the Kubota D600, it is 51334. Picked one up last night, going to install it this weekend. Thanks for all the help. SteveG

Here's my list for D600B (15 hp Kubota) oil filters:

Kubota 70000-74034, 70000-15241
FleetGuard LF3403, LF3462
Napa Gold FIL1334
WIX 51334
AC Delco PF1127
Purolator L14459
Baldwin B179

Of course, make sure you verify these yourself. I have only used Kubota brand, so can't vouch for construction quality or fit.

Just a heads up for those of you considering using a different oil filter. (I hope this makes sense since I didn't take a picture) I changed my oil using the Rotella 15W-45 that many here recommended. I also used a Wix 51334 Oil filter I purchased at my local Auto Parts store. The WIX filter has a slightly larger diameter than the Kubota filter I replaced, so I had little more difficult time getting that heavy wire that goes to the starter around/under the oil filter, where it was before. I hope that makes sense to everyone. NOT a big deal, I just thought that those with the 1512's (and maybe the 782D's, if they are the same design) would like to know the difference.

Also, I just got the 1512D back from the dealer, where they fixed the vibrations I had on the drive shaft. They ended up replacing the 4 flexible dics, the cooling fan (had 3 blades missing), I believe one or both of the couplers, and they repaired the "self adjusting ball bushing" since he said a new one would cost about $100 extra. He also adjusted my throttle that was slowing down and adjusted the air gap on the PTO, which he said was way off. All that and a spindle belt for my 50" deck, he also sharpened my blades (which I didn't ask them to do) all for about $330 including 2 1/2 hours of labor. I think I made out fairly well. You guys who know, can tell me if I got taken. But I really didn't have the time or the knowledge to do that kind of work, and it feels like I have a new tractor under me. Hope that helps someone out there. SteveG

Back