• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Motor oil

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here we go again with the zinc myth! If anyone insists on using zinc in any form (oil additive or the so-called diesel engine oil), do your homework on the chemical. There are many different formulations of zinc in or for engine oil. I'm sure you will find it unnecessary for use in any Kohler engine or any factory stock engine, roller lifters or not.

I've yet to see a fully plastic camshaft, but multiple small Briggs lawnmower engines that I've dismantled have camshafts that are a single steel rod with a plastic cam gear and a plastic cam lobe piece attached to it.
1695842118702.png

Governors have been plastic for decades. Of course, with our old Kohlers, we know that. Something more interesting which has been recently made fully plastic is carburetors on these small lawnmower engines. As questionable as it sounds it's actually better from a standpoint of keeping the carburetor clean, especially with the ethanol in most gasoline. It'll get dirty, sure, but it won't corrode. The big problem with them, of course, is that they are completely non adjustable. But that's nothing new at this point.

I have read some of the smaller Briggs and Stratton engines do. Haven't seen one in person, as I don't own anything that new.
going from “Briggs & Scrap-iron” to “Breaks & Shatterin’.”

as is so much nowadays: built to be non-serviceable and disposable; lowest possible production cost. price-point over quality/value. sad!

going from “Briggs & Scrap-iron” to “Breaks & Shatterin’.”

as is so much nowadays: built to be non-serviceable and disposable; lowest possible production cost. price-point over quality/value. sad!
Yes, it certainly is. Current Kohler and Briggs engines are examples, but are appliances of today. My Kenmore reefer of 1981 and GE heat pump of the same year lasted 30 years, and were still working when I replaced them. I can't get 10 years out of either device now.

Plastic engine guts! Engines like this won't be around 60+ years later like the good old bullet-proof, reliable Kohler cast iron K-engines of the past!
Unfortunately, that's the plan.
'We' used to make overkill robust products but todays mindset is to build strong enough to get passed the warrantee period.

Yes, it certainly is. Current Kohler and Briggs engines are examples, but are appliances of today. My Kenmore reefer of 1981 and GE heat pump of the same year lasted 30 years, and were still working when I replaced them. I can't get 10 years out of either device now.
so true!
engineered to last one day longer than the warranty!

A big part of the problem is that American companies are forced to compete with the cheaply made Chinese imports.
If USA didn't inflate themselves with Minimum Wage requirements then our manufacturing could afford to stay in the USA. Prices of everything in the USA would be cheaper to match that lower Income.
Supply and Demand is capitalism. Not a govt forcing all companies to pay a specific minimum wage.
N. Y. : minimum wage went from $7 to $14 in a few years. THAT'S WHY a lunch at McDonald's cost $20. That's also why McDonalds, and others, are eliminating employees by automating. Have you seen these Kiosks where you type in your own order?

If USA didn't inflate themselves with Minimum Wage requirements then our manufacturing could afford to stay in the USA. Prices of everything in the USA would be cheaper to match that lower Income.
Supply and Demand is capitalism. Not a govt forcing all companies to pay a specific minimum wage.
N. Y. : minimum wage went from $7 to $14 in a few years. THAT'S WHY a lunch at McDonald's cost $20. That's also why McDonalds, and others, are eliminating employees by automating. Have you seen these Kiosks where you type in your own order?
I'm a New Yorker and say God bless those working at $14 rather than plotting/scheming to go on welfare, to go on medicaid, to get food stamps. At our local Shoprite, my good wife just saw a lavishly dressed woman pay with food stamps and drive off in a late model BMW. This is fraud and our Albany legislators, who are not there to work, do zip about it. Watch Judge Judy ask those before her "what do you do for a living" and get "I'm on disability."
Too many people on the dole, too many willing to live on the dole.
Cheers, Jack

This is probably not the forum for an economic discussion but in response to your comment it's not just governmentally determined minimum wage, but odious, unnecessary and arguably unconstitutional government regulations stacked on the shoulders of free enterprise that when combined with government created inflation (the only kind there is) reduces the wealth of every American.

It’s principally nanny government, equal social and economic results entitlement mentality that increases the costs of products produced domestically to the point they can't compete. They only "progressively" increase the price of American goods and services to the point they can’t compete anymore in a global marketplace. Such policies damage the mighty economic engines of free enterprise and kill the golden goose.

And regarding "forced to compete" government can't protect anyone from the eight BILLION people on this planet competing for fixed resources nor can it shield you from the immutable economic laws of supply and demand. Economic laws that will surprise many but manifest themselves even in non-capitalist countries where they surface in the form of under the table, black markets.

Last edited:
I'm a New Yorker and say God bless those working at $14 rather than plotting/scheming to go on welfare, to go on medicaid, to get food stamps. At our local Shoprite, my good wife just saw a lavishly dressed woman pay with food stamps and drive off in a late model BMW. This is fraud and our Albany legislators, who are not there to work, do zip about it. Watch Judge Judy ask those before her "what do you do for a living" and get "I'm on disability."
Too many people on the dole, too many willing to live on the dole.
Cheers, Jack
My wife's career was in supermarket. Yes it's a mess when BMWs pull up and yet they shop with their Welfare/ Food stamps/EBT cards or whatever they are calling it now. These forms of welfare pay so well that there is no incentive to work That's one problem. The other World competition problem is America priced themselves out of contention. Everything needs to scale down, yet this Administration is inflating everything up.
There would be minimal competition for materials and fossil fuels with other countries if America didn't use these countries for our manufacturing. Their demand for this increased only because they are building our stuff. They are building our stuff because our salaries are too high.
People have this retarded notion that Flipping burgers is a career job, not a simple High School or college kid job. Somehow people think they should be able to start a family and buy a house doing these jobs... Crazy

Last edited:
I've used 30W non-detergent in my International Cub Cadet 149, 44", Kohler 14 hp, for over 30 years with nary a problem and it still runs as well as it did when I first got it.

I've used 30W non-detergent in my International Cub Cadet 149, 44", Kohler 14 hp, for over 30 years with nary a problem and it still runs as well as it did when I first got it.
Air cooled engines can run way hot that is why, in my opinion, none detergent and Diesel oils are good.

Air cooled engines can run way hot that is why, in my opinion, none detergent and Diesel oils are good.

As has been discussed earlier in this thread, and several others, non-detergent oil is not suitable for engines built after 1930. Kohler states to use detergent oil in all of their engines. Non-detergent oil does not meet the minimum specifications required by Kohler. Any modern detergent 30W is vastly superior (and less expensive) to the non-detergent oil available.

That is the reason you shouldn't use oil designed for diesel engines. That oil is formulated for the cooler operating temps of a diesel engine. There are oil companies that make oil that is specifically formulated for small gas air cooled engines.

Back