• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 25, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blast from the past!
309367.jpg

Attachments

• 309367.jpg
    309367.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 309367.jpg
    309367.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 120
Charlie,

That push blade is different from the usual O plow with the "snow sled" under carriage. Is that an earlier blade, or just a test blade?

Here is a pic of mine:

309370.jpg

Attachments

• 309370.jpg
    309370.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 309370.jpg
    309370.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 128
QA 36 question - are the spaces shown below supposed to slip over the pins that are welded to the frame? The pins on mine are not long enough to allow the brace to to be square to the thrower housing. Are those top braces even needed? My original 36" thrower doesn't have them. Thanks in advance!

309387.jpg

Attachments

• 309387.jpg
    309387.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 309387.jpg
    309387.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 128
Kevin,

Those upper pins look modified, they don't come factory with any spacers there.

Yes. the top links are absolutely necessary...they complete the 4 bar parallel linkage that supports the thrower housing. Without them, the housing would flop forward and backward.

Kevin - hmm, you state QA36 but your pic and discussion seems to be about a QA36A. The QA36 had a different frame and did not have the upper braces (link arms). The frame for the QA36A and QA42A was slightly different and included the upper braces shown in your pic. I believe they were to keep the housing from rotating back against the tractor when the thrower was raised.

I hate to say this but I don't quite agree with Steve on this one. Although the spacers are not shown in the Operator Manual nor the parts list, I think the spacers are necessary when you use a QA36/42"A" with a narrow frame tractor. I don't know if they came in a special kit that's mentioned in the Operator Manual and not shown in the parts list. The pics and discussion in the Op Manual are really poor (one pic mentions it being a 106 and it's clearly a wide frame tractor).

Maybe someone made up your spacers and they are slightly long. They can't hold the braces (links) tight since the braces have to move when you raise/lower the thrower. I do agree with what Steve said about your pins not looking to be factory. The pins I recall were ground off and nearly pointed at their ends. I actually don't recall installing an "A" version thrower on a narrow frame tractor but it's supposed to work and I still think you need the links so the thrower doesn't rotate back against he tractor grill housing. Hope someone on here that uses an "A" version thrower on a narrow frame with chime in with answers to resolve this situation.

Under Edit - by the way, there should be spacers on your un-painted rod on the lower frame of the thrower (the un-painted rod directly below the pulley shaft in your pic). I think I see 1 spacer in your pic on the right side and don't see one on the left. These spacers should help keep the Quick Attach tractor mounting bracket squared up when mounted to the tractor.

I use a 36 A thrower on my 73, I added the spacers like yours to the top links to keep the link arms from rubbing on the lower sides of the grille.

Marty, Charlie, the actual blade shown on the Original in that photo with the young girl in the straw hat, is in my shed waiting for me to finish refurbishing it. The girl in that photo is the daughter of the original owner of the Original that Bryan McMeen had. Bryan sold, er, um, basically gave me the blade (and mower deck), as he sold them to me for so little $$...

Latest posts

Back