• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 23, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snicklas

displayname
Scott Nicklas
Cletus N,

I am not sure what it is, but on our 4 machines (All wideframes, 2 149's a 1450 and a 782) they all seem to lean to the left. We noticed they were all that way when we got them together for a family photo.....

I heated a metal Hydro fan to get it removed from the drive shaft, after heating it up NOW the fan turns a little hard. Did I mess the fan up ?

Thanks Greg

Tony H.
I wasted a couple hours going to look at a blade for a wideframe one time, don't take the seller's word for it. The frame for the cub blades have braces that extend back to the main rockshaft under the footrests. The blade frame for narrow frame tractors has the braces extending straight back, while the frame braces for wideframe tractors extends back and curves upward. Pictures would help, but I only have a NF blade.

Greg: The fan turns a little hard? I hope you mean the whole driveshaft turns a little hard!
1a_scratchhead.gif

This is the 1st metal fan I've seen, all the rest where plastic. The fan turns almost like it has a bearing. If the fan and hub are suppose to be pressed together then its loose.

You guys are making way to much out of this lean thing. They prolly set facing north, the earth spins to the east, after 30 or 40 years they have to lean left. It's the gravitational pull that does it.
happy.gif
That or most people get on from the left, over time mabey it does put a twist in them.

That fan should be attached directly to the driveshaft, I'm pretty sure (always the disclaimer). I'm celebrating having just finished splitting the rest of the firewood that I had hauled in last winter. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Don T. posted some GREAT pics in the Sandbox.
beerchug.gif
Hmmm, he should Skype me.
bubbly.gif

There are 2 set screw holding the fan to the drive shaft. I'll peen it over before installing the fan, this should stop the fan from spinning.

I wish I knew how to post a video on Youtube, then you guys wouldn't think I was crazy.

Thanks Greg

That fan could quite possibly be a "handy man special" that someone rigged up. After 40 some odd years who knows what kind of repairs have been done.

Well heres the first update on the 123. Getting spark was as easy as cleaning the points the old plug was too nasty to use though. The gas tank has close to 1/4 inch of sludge on the bottem that I have to clean out. The carb was dry and only had a little bit of dirt in the bowl. Its almost as if someone had the decency to turn the fuel off and run it dry. If so thats a first for me. I'll try to get the tank cleaned up and back on. May have it running tonight yet.
thumbsup.gif

Re: bare block saga..
Art,
You're lucky. You got your block back. I trustingly sent my crankshaft for grinding to another online vendor (not one of the colorful boxes above) in June and I haven't gotten it back yet. I called this week and they said "next week." Now they are not returning my telephone calls. Their answering machine message says, "We do not return out-of-town telephone calls."!!

Email me if you want more information or are thinking about sending material to a vendor that is prominately on the web (and not one of the sponsors above.)

Well heres the first bad news. The gas tank is pretty rusty on the inside, bad enough that it will need to be cleaned and sealed before it would be fit for use. After looking around at the prices of sealers and what a used tank would cost I think I could get another tank cheaper.

Michael Reed,
Look up how to give it an acid bath and save your money and tank.

Art, Give Motor Works a call and ask for Karl Iverson. He has done a few Kohlers for me and does a great job. Hopefully he still works there.
Oh instead of looking West there young man, look East to Eau Claire. Formerly call the Carriage Motor Works or something like that, its now just called Motor Works located on Menomonie street on the West side of Eau Claire near "Shaw town".
Phone 1-800-773-8333 or 1-715-834-7333

Update on my 123. I had noticed that there was gas leaking out around one of the head bolts and thought to check them all. All but 4 of them were loose. I took the head off and there was so much carbon build in there I'm suprised it ran at all! In some spots it was as thick as an 1/8 of an inch! I then cleaned all that out and the head, did the same to the carburator and put it back together. After some fudging around with the adjustments it runs really smooth. I put my 48" deck on and mowed with it till it threw the belt. Luckily I have a new out in the shed!
buttrock.gif

Oh and Brendan, those tires are still holding air!

Scott,You know we are dying to see pics
old.gif

When i went to a friends house to bend my pipe, he said he had exactly what I wanted. So he goes out behind his shed and comes back with a piece of pipe about 3 feet long with one 90° angle in it. So instead of bending the pipe I had, he let me have that one for FREE. Now I've got it on the 124 and yes i cut it shorter. New pics to follow tomorow because
worthless.gif

Scott...Thats good to hear, maybe the kids just let the air out on me sometime
dunno.gif

I still haven't changed out the flat on the 73, haven't been able to get off the couch much today....
sad.gif

Brendan B, why havnt you gotten off the couch much today? That poor little cub is crying for help. I can hear him all the way out here
help.gif

Dave-
Ugh! That doesn't sound good...

Ron-
Thanks! I'll give them a call on Thursday.

By the way, did you ever find a water-pump for an Original you were looking for?
happy.gif

I recently pulled the motor out of my 149 with the intention of rebuilding it before the snow flies. Got everything ripped apart and it was definitely in need of some TLC. I took it to a shop for the machine work and the guy couldn't believe it still ran. We checked the end gap of the rings, over a 1/4". He said he thinks I set a new world record for a 14hp kohler. He also recommended keeping the balance gears after I told him I was going to junk them. Said when he rebuilds an engine, he puts new shafts and bearings in and gets another 20 yrs or so out of the motor. This whole time I planned on scrapping them and now I'm not too sure. I know most of the forum members suggest getting rid of them. Either way I should have it back in a week and be on my way again. Nick

Latest posts

Back