• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 06, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnyquist

displayname
Bruce N. Original, 70, 100, 72, 127, 1250, 1450
Eric C. My understanding is the 70 and 100 share the same harness.

Albert M. The steering sector on Cubs is one of the weak points for sure. Keep them adjusted and greased.

Pick up a sevice manual from Binders. Invaluable.

To Rick and all.
Plow day is still on for Oct.22. Been getting motel prices and what not. Sorry for the delay. I've been real busy between work and the 782 smoker. I changed rear ends this weekend on the 782. The old one was full of cracks and busted aluminum. It leaked all over the garage. My wife won't go in there now due to the smell of Hytran and diesel exhaust. Should have tried that earlier.

I'm thinking of switching to synthetic on my 682 since reading some of the recent posts. I will go with the Mobil 1 but is there a weight for it or is it just called Mobil 1 synthetic?

adrian,

I use Mobil one synthetic in my car; the P.O. of it, has used it as well. It seems to work nice. I know that they have a 0 weight, 5w-30,10w-30, then think it goes to 15w-40, 20w-30? They don't have a straight 30w. I wish they did, I'd use it in my car as well. I use the 10w-30 and would say it pours more like water than oil. But I guess it works good. It's been keeping my car engine alive!. Also I think it stinks worse than regular motor oil when it burn... like on a header.
uhoh.gif

Attachments

• uhoh.gif
    uhoh.gif
    1 KB · Views: 138
I have used 5W-50 synthetic in my 149 for 6+ years... look back a few posts and there is a fuzzy pic of a clean crankcase... I switched primarily so I could start the beast in below 0 weather...

(Message edited by stanner on September 06, 2005)

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

My wife won't go in there now due to the smell of Hytran and diesel exhaust. Should have tried that earlier.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
clappy.gif
biggrin.gif

Sounds good Glen!

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 144
  • clappy.gif
    clappy.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 143
Norm,
You have mentioned the weight difference in the two pistons. Also to be considered is the fact that the rebored cylinder with the fresh rings and piston will seal better (producing more power) and have a larger displacement (producing more power). With half of the cylinders in the engine working better and having more reciprocating weight, I would expect a vibration. All these things are measured in small amounts, but they add up.
If it was my engine, I would bore and refit both cylinders. I wouldn't want to go through another teardown to bore the other cylinder later.

Bruce N., ah! I pictured a half dozen or so trees. 250 trees would require a lot of work not to mention several tons of mulch. As for the mice, one word: cats! I have two, one of which will bring me the mice, gophers and rabbits that he kills and trade them in for a small cat treat or 2, apparently he prefers the taste of the treat. :eek:)

Have read the FAQ and unless I read wrong, not not list the info on the long tiller belt for a 100. Is shorter than the one on a 149. Any one know how long it is so I can check with the green belt store? TIA
thumbsup_old.gif

Attachments

• thumbsup_old.gif
    thumbsup_old.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 135
Lyle, I'm not sure of it's size but the belt PN is: 487 045 R2

And looking in the Gates catalog, green belts aren't available that long (longest 4L is #6899 - 99", 3L is #6774 - 74") - haven't we flagellated that deceased equine already?
wink.gif

Interesting application notes:

PoweRated belts are suitable for outdoor power equipment, appliances and industrial applications where FHP belts are typically used.

and...

These green belts are an alternative to conventional light-duty belts, with high performance construction delivering more horsepower, less stretch and providing longer service life.

Doesn't sound like they'd be good as a twisty mower or tiller belt anyway...

Attachments

• wink.gif
    wink.gif
    880 bytes · Views: 131
Since it's been awhile since I said hello here, I just thought I'd say hi!
happy.gif

Digger speaking of the beauty of cubs, I just had to pull off the road yesterday and take a couple photos of these two cubs setting behind glass store front in Tama Iowa.
30580.jpg

30581.jpg

While they are slightly off topic here, you know they share tranny parts with some of our cub cadets.

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 141
  • 30580.jpg
    30580.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 30581.jpg
    30581.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 30581.jpg
    30581.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 30580.jpg
    30580.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 153
Norm I'd recomend doing both side. but if you only want to one I don't think theres enough weight difference in the piston to matter. but if you were concerend you could weigh both pistons on a grams scale & lighten the heavier piston. theres alot of meat inside the piston that can be removed.

David P

An S/G is polarized when you start the engine. The S/G might be from an OT like JD, whose S/G turns the other way. Or the field coils were replaced with the wrong ones during a S/G rebuild. there might be more to it than this!

Hey guys. Just trying to figure out what size bolts to use to mount my grill casting to the original frame? Any thoughts? My 3 year old lost my other ones. How nice of him
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 137
Tom R. -

He lost the bolts. So that means you still have the nuts, no?

Since most of us don't drive our Originals to work, we can't run out to the parking lot and check for ya
lol.gif

So how'd you get so far into forum membership without me ragging on you to buy a parts list (which would show all fasteners required)?
roflol.gif

I'll check my TC-113 when I get home if nobody does so sooner...

Attachments

• roflol.gif
    roflol.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 134
  • lol.gif
    lol.gif
    158 bytes · Views: 138
Bryan,
Yes, my boy lost 'em all. Last I know, they were in an old coffee can (Maxwell House, specifically). Don't have a parts list- can't deny that. Didn't know I would need something like that untill these bolts came up missing.

Actually Bryan, I'm somewhat of a "fan" of yours. I've looked at your restoration pics of your original on your website. Very nice.

Back