• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 01, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank You for the input, Charlie. When I pulled the lift actuator off last night it was after just getting home after a very long and hard day at work. Seeing the broken piece and the water come out just about broke my heart. Two weekends ago Pat Zeroth and I rescued one almost complete 127, a parts 127, a parts 125, an MF12 parts tractor along with the 147 from a puller that needs to clean up at his father in law's place. It was either buy them or they were going to salvage and if they went there they wouldn't come out of that salvage yard. That is the yard's policy on everything. The tractors sat under some pine trees so there are flat/rotted tires, rusted tractor parts, and the two decks are definintely parts only. I am going to sell the other tractors and once we get the InfraView figured out they'll be in the Classifieds section. I've already found another set of fenders, dash pedestal, the hydro linkage inside the pedestal (totally rusted). The driveshaft on the 147 is a longer shaft without a rubber rag joint that is bolted metal to metal with one bolt. The original starter/generator on the 147 had the oil lube minus the cap so the S/G is stuck. Thank goodness I had a spare so I could see if the engine turned over and if it had compression. Long story short.... I really didn't need another Cub Cadet only this little critter keeps saying that it is a spunky little guy and don't give up on him. So, I guess that I'll be investing in some good used parts, a new wiring harness, find a good used and comfortable seat... no paint job for awhile... and then end up with a Spunky little 147 with lights and electric lift. Then once the garage gets wired for 220 the it is off the create a CAT 0 three point for the critter.

Charlie P. Also... It's okay with you being crabby today... we're all human and sometimes someone needs to shove me in the right direction of thinking again.
196244.gif

Bill A. (I kinda promised Angel that I wouldn't keep any of these Cubs or the Massey.)

By Gummy Bears, Hilda!!!! I don't know what I've done only here are a couple of picture of the tractors. The 125 is in the Dakota. The 127 with no front wheels had a block with a hole from the balance gears grenading. The yellow rims are 23x10.50x12 on the 127 and the 147 also has the 10.50s. I'll be putting the 23x8.50s back on the 147. This is the first time that I've ever pulled a trailer with the Dakota. Talk about lousy gas mileage...

196251.jpg

196252.jpg

Fancy got a little dirty helping unload the tractors.

196253.jpg

And finally Fancy had "first ride" a couple of weeks after I got the PTO working again on the Keepsake 1650.

196254.jpg

Can one of you search expert's lead me to a thread on the manual removal of the grenade gears..... with a chisel.

Thanks.........

Thank you Kevin. I'll put some hardened steel and a BFH against the gears in the A.M. Pics. will follow.

Hello All,
My brothers and I are very proud to announce that the Cadet Connection magazine will be moving to a <font color="ff0000">full color</font> format beginning with the next issue (fall 2010) due out in October. This fall will be the start of our 10th great year of publishing the Cadet Connection and one of the best parts is you'll get a full color magazine for the same great low price of just $19.00 per year!! So check out our website at www.cadetconnection.com or just click the colorful box above with our name on it and sign up for a subscription today to the only publication that exclusively covers the complete line of Cub Cadet tractors from 1961 to present! Back issues of our first 9 years and 3 different special information catalogs filled with technical info compiled from various back issues over the last 9 years are also available through our website.

We'd like to give a big THANK YOU to all of the ih cub cadet forum members that have supported our efforts over the past 9 years. It has taken alot of hard work and dedication to this publication along with the support of our subscribers to get us to the point where we're now able to graduate to full color, thanks again!

Brian Gerber,
Don't part it out. If you do, then there's another cub gone forever. A used driveshaft and clutch can be found pretty easily. Just look around. One of the sponsors at the top of the page would be a good place to start. If it cost 300 dollars to fix, you will have a nice garden tractor. The cheapest lawnmower on the market is around 1000 bucks. You CAN'T buy anything close to what a Cub Cadet is!
ihrotate.gif

Richard, When I took mine out a couple months ago, I found the hard part was getting the C clips off the shaft. You need a good quality remover tool with 90 degree tips. I ended up borrowing a set from a friend that had the tips part of the pliers because the tips on mine kept turning just as it was coming off..Even at that I had almost an hour wrapped up in getting the inner clip off..

Is there such a thing as a flywheel damper that will automaticaly balance the K-301 engine after the balance gears have been removed

Kevin and Richard-

The inner "C" clip can be a pain to remove. The first thing you need is a good flashlight. Harbor Freight sells a complete set of fine, top quality (ha) ring clip pliers for around $13 on sale. Find an old catalog with the sale price and they will honor it because they never post an expiration date. I couldn't believe it but it appears to be true. I've done it more than once. When you get to the point of using the chisel a good, firm tap should do the trick.

Good luck.

Wayne is right..I used a good flashlight and a clip-on light to see in there..Also get a chair or get your body in a comfortable working position..You may be there a while getting that clip out..

The CCO with the thrower belongs to Mark Plotz, Marengo, IA.

ok i tried to figure out this stupid govoner thing

i have checked 3 other motors and the throttle mount is forward on all of them

so do i need to change this ?
196261.jpg

196262.jpg

196263.jpg

196264.jpg

as you can see the bracket is backwards
if i hook up the thottle cable to it the motor goes full tilt
the drive pin is currently at the 9 oclock position
should the govenor be pushing the throttle closed?
with the spring on it tries to go wide open throttle

thanks guys

Kent,

i just noticed that there is a nice GT54 over in the classifieds...a very nice deck under a SGT.

chris rolke

I have a 1962 Original in my shed and will take a few pictures in the am if you would like. The she is not finished and it does not have power so I will take them in the morning if that helps. It looks like yours is not connected correctly.
old.gif

chris rolke

OK here , the first picture you posted notice the inside spring is not connected.that spring has to be connected and I see yours is laying against the throttle cable. I don`t know if you will be able to see in my picture, but here goes
196267.jpg

I know my picture is not very clear and In the am I will try again.
old.gif

Chris

and rod E is not where you have it to run. try this position to put some load on the governor with the inner spring.
196270.jpg

The 54 GT deck will not work on the 982, 1912 or 1914. It will only mount on SGTs with power steering. The tie rod between the gearbox and front axle on manual steering tractors hits the sub frame on the 54 deck. I tried to put the 54 under my 1914 and found this to be he case. You cannot lift the deck at all.

As far a quality of cut: a 50c mows good when properly set up. The 60" is a real workhorse and mows awesome. The 54 is an awesome mowing deck as well. The 54 floats a little better over uneven terrain. The 54 and especially the 60 deck are a bit more cumbersome to mount and dismount than a 50. If you plan on taking the deck on and off often and have a modest lot to mow a 50c may be the best all around choice, and 50 decks and parts are common.

I would have to say that my favorite SGT deck is still the 60", if you have the area for it. I have spent many many hours mowing with 60" decks in a commercial application, and never had a bit of issues. They perform well in tall or wet grass too.

Right now I have gone back to the 50c myself as I no longer have the amount of grass to mow I had. I still have my Haban deck stored in the loft in my barn and will hang on to it for sure.

All boils down to needs and preference I guess.

Matt P.

Good to know, I didn't even think of the longer drag link on the 982.

Kent,

Listen to Matt, not me.....My mind has been clouded with a severe case of "power steering fever".......

But on a PS tractor, the 54 is a very nice deck....

196272.jpg

Latest posts

Back