• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 01, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kshultz

displayname
Shultzie
I know some of you have a 60" deck for your SGT.
I have the 50" on my 982. I'm thinking about going up to a 60" deck. What are the pro's and con's?? Do you guys like the 60" deck? Thanks.

KENT - The 60" deck was actually a HABAN mfg deck. It had the castering gauge wheels frt & back on the ends. I think it was a heavier built deck than the stamped 44" & 50" decks that IH made.

I have a L-O-T of pine & evergreen trees to mow around/under and the brackets for those gauge wheels would catch the low hanging branches, I wanted the 50" deck. Other than having to replace a spindle bearing & housing this spring I've been very happy with my 50C on my 982 for the ten yrs I've used it.

Kent, the 60" Haban deck is a beast. They're built like a tank. Very heavy, it's not the kind of deck you want to install and remove frequently. If you have a large, open, flat (as in smooth) lawn a 60" deck would probably be OK. Art Aytay has one on his 1872. Art's yard is fairly open and smooth but sloped. Hopefully he'll post his thoughts on it.

Art, tag you're it!
fence.gif

It never ceases to amaze me that so few bother to contact OUR sponsors
for items they are looking for on a regular bases. There's absolutely
NOTHING that our sponsors don't have or can't get for these Cub Cadets.
It also makes me wonder why it's so difficult to post a Want Ad in the
classifieds or send an email or make a call!
There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Madson's, Myron, Chris or
Houtz has more than one used one laying around, just waiting to be sent
out, I know I do!

196197.jpg

And that's just one of many boxes full.

BTW, Marlin, the price you posted is WELL above SRP for that piece. Please
don't part out the tractor, it'd be better to do a little research and find
the parts to fix it.
thumbsup.gif

Can ya tell I'm crabby today.
bash.gif

I picked up a 1200 the other day, the Drive shaft/clutch is missing from the engine to the transmission is this going to be an expensive item? I'm trying to decide what to do with it part it out or fix it..

Used the 149 today to remove a big maple that lost all its leaves. Had to pay $250.00 to get the thing down. I have most of it cleaned up before the heat here hit 85 deg in the shade.
Charlie and you think your crabby
bash.gif
bash.gif

No luck putting on a set of blades for a mower deck this morning. seems they don`t fit and I did want gators.
dunno.gif

Marlin I have a 147 that was changed to manual lift by the PO. This was my first cub cadet so I did not know about the electric lift at the time.I would definitely get the parts you need to fix them.

I hear ya, Charlie... Personally, I would rather order it from one of the online vendors with a website than talk to the local cub dealer, whom with which I'd have to explain and jump trough hoops... Ordering from CCS or CCC is as easy as it gets... I wish CCSR, MSI or RFH had websites to order on, although I've ordered from Madson when I rebuit the steering gear, I believe... Still easy.. I will throw some business to CCSR soon, though... I WISH I had $$$ to order Cat0 stuff from XMW, though... This topic is a rope that will always need to be pushed, I guess...

just got my recently purchased 1961 original running
had to change out the throttle cable
how does that hook up ?

the cable clamp goes to the throttle bracket then you adjust that>?

anyone got a picture of how it is supposed to work?
thanks

Chris, the throttle clamps to the bracket on the governor. Here's a photo showing the clamp:

196222.jpg

Kent-
I mow with the 60" Haban deck under my 1872. The bottom line is that I LOVE it!

Kraig is correct, it's not a deck you want to be installing and removing all of the time, but they are VERY overbuilt, and mine mows fantastic.

Mower setups are a very personal matter though because we all have different lawns/yards. I would not want this deck on a smaller city sized lot (because it would take away "seat time") but it's perfect for my 2.07 rolling acres...

Jeeze, WHO stoked Charlies coals today????? LOL!
roflol.gif

Kraig

i will see what it looks like when i get home

my bracket is forward though

thanks

Kent,

Go for th GT54 deck....nice!!!!

I would never go back to RF Houtz after the way i was treated last time from Rob Houtz himself. It is sad becasue he is my local dealer and i have spent a bunch of money with him over the last two years. I have used Kirk Engines and had great results though. I look forward to trying other sponsors.

Lucas, a BB36 snowthrower. Photos were taken by Craig Carney at a Red Power Round Up many years back.

196227.jpg

149/K-321 refurb. As I wrote to fellow Fl. cubber Rick Albert, my back hurt working on the engine in a less than appropriate height so I acquired an engine stand. Best $89.00 bucks I've spent in a long time.

196235.jpg

I then proceeded to remove the head..... Wow...
it sure was clean......

196236.jpg

Just kidding....... here is the real version..

196237.jpg

Drained the oil and flipped the engine to find this......

196238.jpg

Yuck......

And finally underneath the oil pan in the pic. were these things that are VERY wobbly.......and will come out.......

196239.jpg

I'll do some measurements tomorrow and see what the bore says.

And lastly I finally got the steering wheel off without pounding....just tapping and patience.

Richard T-

Yep....in my opinion the grenade gears must go. You can replace the bearings but WHY. They don't seem to be necessary and can cause problems. I'm sure other members will have input but I think doing away with them will be to your advantage.

I'll leave the rest to you.

Good luck.

Back