Archive through November 28, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate to jump around on topics but wanted to share me setting the ACR on my 14HP. Light is shinning on the face of dial indicator but it reads .032. That is where I am leaving it.I have 2 books on the Kohler K engines & get 2 different figures but .032 is mid range of both.
G.L.
46268.jpg

Ryan - since you asked..My K-301's plug wire (B&K 2815 meter, zeroed before measurement) ...
<font color="ff0000">ENTER...</font>
46276.jpg

(Never said I was using a carbon core plug wire)AFAICR, the crate motor came with a wire core plug wire.

Steve: Rebuilding the Walbro is a snap...I've done mine dozens of times. A good MIG welder and a set of taps & dies, plus the ordinary screwdrivers and suchlike and you're good to go.

Just kidding.

It really is easier than you think. All of the parts are simple gaskets and wee little doodads. Just take the time to remove parts carefully and, if you are old like me or didn't say "No" often enough in the sixties make a note or two about what part came from where. If you're really freaked, take pictures with that nifty digital camera you got at Walmart. Anyway, clean the carb with carb cleaner and blow out with compressed air. Don't get any carb cleaner in your beer - it spoils the taste. Handle the parts gently and remember the cardinal rule: If it is not easy, you're doing something wrong. I mean that - if a screw or a fitting does not work reasonably easily you are probably binding something somehow. I just did a carb on a B&S motor on a shredder - I screwed the main jet in and noticed that it went in a tad hard. Didnt think anything about it until I could not move the flapper in thr carb throat. Then I found the jet had missed the hole and climbed up the wall of the carb throat and blocked the flapper. Duuuhhhh.

And remember: What's the worst that can happen? You screw it up and pay somebody to fix it or buy one on ebay. Neither of those bad results is a big deal, frankly - certainly nothing to swear about...as I have learned from considerable personal experience.

bbowman Thanks for the advice but I am clueless where or what is the "lift valve"? Thanks for any help in advance

Micheal J. The implement lift valve [this is what I call it]on my 1650 is clamped to the steering column.Are we talking about the same thing or should I stay out of the fridge?
beer2.gif

Kendall I.,
Thanks for sharing your results!
Looks like that wire is still performing superbly.

Yep, I messed up.
Looking back, I see again what you did say, "....I've changed plugs twice in 21 years in the 129 (once after I got it and not long ago after about 500 hours on the "crate motor" I put in in '96."

Nope, you didn't mention the type of plug wire you had.
But I do find it interesting that in '96 your, "...crate motor came with a wire core plug wire."

Ryan W <cheers>

I can sympathise with Steve T., even though I haven't attempted a full resto, not wanting to screw up a perfectly neat little cub.
coffee.gif
(Guess I better secify which steve I'm taking about, wops)

But I've got to tell ya, just got my new s/g installed and WOW what a difference!
thumbsup_old.gif

Also, finally got a chance to try out the new tur power ags too and I can't believe the diffence that couple of gallons of fluid will make with new tires. Not to mention the conviance of not having to put air in the tires every 10 minutes.

Thanks again for everyones advice on parts and brands, I'm very pleased with the results.
beerchug.gif

Timothy P. - John's Chicago Cub's Cub Cadet is a special paint job He did, and a Nice job on it too. IH only painted Cubbies yellow & white and red & white as You said. Brand X on the other hand did paint some of their tractors orange, red, yellow, and blue with white trim back in the 70's as well as their normal green & yellow.

Charlie, 7° up here. Why you complaining? We need colder temps in order to get snow instead of rain.
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back