• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 22, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Levi, cubbin along the snow covered back roads of up state NY as the sun goes down!

happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 144
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 149
Jason-Yes sir! There's miles and miles of old logging roads to run around on up here. I have a bit of a problem, does anyone know how to test the generator with a volt meter while it's running? I know how to do the bench test where you spin it up then ground the field coil, but I don't know how to test how many volts it's producing.

Levi,

With engine at wide open throttle the battery should read 13-14 volts if it is charging.

My Cubs had a productive weekend as I finished mowing for the last time with the 149 and plowed the garden with the 782. Finally getting the plow dialed in to where it was plowing good. I think I mowed more times this year then ever before, almost every week due to overly abundant rains we had here in Kansas. Then both Cubbies got a bath and I dug out the snow blade to put on the 149. Once it is mounted, then will need to dig out the snowthrower for the 782 and I will be ready for snow.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Steve-Ive only got 10 volts at the battery so I need to know how to test the generator to determine if it's that or the regulator.

Temporarily (don't do this for long unless you want to cook the starter/generator) ground the field wire and then check the voltage across the battery. That bypasses the regulator. If you still only have 10V, the field coil is probably bad.

Kohler part number question......
What does the -s designation on the end of Kohler part numbers mean>

For instance, a ring set, KH-45-108-06-s, instead of the same number w/o the -s, which is a std ring set for a K341.

I have a K341 apart and discovered, much to my surprise,that it is still a std. bore and the piston appears to be in reusable shape. Heading to the machine shop later today to have the parts tanked and mic'd. Was intending to salvage the cam for my good 1650, but now.....???

Hi all, I remember as a kid growing up in the 60's stopping by the IH dealer and looking at the new cub cadets on the show room floor wishing my dad would buy one. Never happened! So at 12 years old I was a helper on a farm and he had all IH equipment including a 123 that was a few years old. I knew right then that these machines were special compaired to all the rest. The engineering was so good that a simple 3 diget model number was all you needed to remember when you needed parts. One day I spotted a 125 with a 48 inch deck next to a flower shop, it was abandonded and not being used, every time I would drive by I would look over to see if was still there this went on for about a year. So one day I got the nerve up and stopped in to see if it might be able to make a deal and buy it. To my suprise the lady said yes and I purchased it for 190.00. She said get it out of here before my husband finds out! Within an hour I had it loaded up and at my house. That was 1987. Without any manual or help I took it apart cleaned and blasted all the parts rebuilt the engine replaced all the worn out parts and painted it and made it look like new. It looked fantastic, new stickers topped it off. The total cost was 600.00 for all that effort, but I knew I had a machine that would out-last any thing built then and now. I decided that I needed to put it to work and get my money back whitch didn't take long. As my 125 nears 50 years old I am going to go thru it again and make it look brand new. My point to this story is that these machies are IMHO the simplest most rugged best looking tractors ever made. I'm sure it will go another 50 years!

According to The Kohler Engine Parts Store
uhoh.gif
under the "About Searching for Parts" Header:

"There is no need to put spaces between part numbers or the "S" after the part number. The "S" after the part number indicates a service part."

And according to kohlerengines.com
The "S" after a engine model indicates electric start. On that Vertical Crank BS,,,,

311162.jpg

Attachments

• uhoh.gif
    uhoh.gif
    1 KB · Views: 147
  • 311162.jpg
    311162.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 311162.jpg
    311162.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 162
  • uhoh.gif
    uhoh.gif
    1 KB · Views: 142
Matt D,

Sounds like you have a Real Jewel There, and a "Perfect" Story to go with it,,,

thumbsup.gif

Attachments

• thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 140
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 144
Matt. D. Great story about your 125. Would you please post some pictures of the tractor? That model is Kraig M.'s favorite Cub Cadet and I'm very partial to them also since it was the first Cub Cadet my ex and I owned.

Matt D. Sweet!!!

This is an old one of my 125 when we first moved here and I had a Bolens blade on it. I miss the Bolens blade. Lightweight and easy to install. I sold it to a gentleman that mounted it on his four wheeler. The 125 is my old reliable Cub Cadet.
311165.jpg

Attachments

• 311165.jpg
    311165.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 164
  • 311165.jpg
    311165.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 154
Matt D - that's a terrific story on your 125. Must be something about that model. I have an old friend that when he was a kid, used to walk by a CC dealer on his way to school. At that time the dealer had a 125 in the showroom window and he really liked that tractor. Well dealer sold the 125 but my friend thought he new who got it. After he grew up he eventually got what he thinks was that same 125. I can't say if it was his favorite because he eventually collected 2 models from each series and built his own CC museum in Mass. He moved and the museum is gone now, but you got me wondering if he kept that 125.

Levi - geez, you took a pretty big risk taking the 1450 with that spreader on that maiden voyage. Glad you apparently made it all the way to where you were going
biggrin.gif

Hope you can figure out your charging issue. I'm kinda wondering if the wiring has been done correctly. If you just went with the way the wiring was done for the incorrect K301 engine you should really investigate if it was done correctly. Especially since the original 1450 wiring was not set up for a V/R and S/G.

Also, you mentioned your replacement K321 engine had the old style PTO. I assume you're not planning to use the PTO since the 1450 doesn't have a lever to engage/disengage it. The PTO will be engaged all the time you're running your replacement K321 engine.

You also mentioned your replacement K321 came out of a model 147. That version would have had an oil "level" dipstick on the left side and an oil "fill" stick on the top of the engine. I don't believe the stick on the top can be converted to an oil level dip stick because the balance gears are in the way. I am wondering if the oil level stick on the side of the engine clears your frame ok.

David S - I see Jason found out the letter "s" used as a suffix just means it's a Service Part. But that sorta sounds like the standard corporate response to a question (or maybe even a smoke screen). I wonder if Charlie might be able to give us some "inside scoup". Seems to me adding the suffix letter "s" to only some part numbers had to have some added cost to Kohler and their suppliers, etc. Doesn't seem like differentiating a "service part" from a non-service part would be a required marking for a part number. And besides that, I'm fairly certain Kohler sells lots of parts without that don't have the suffix letter "s" designation.

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 151
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 145
Jason pretty much hit the S on the head, as being a Service Part. IE: Miscellaneous parts sold individually for Service work only.

Kohler decided to split up there tracking/inventory system years ago between Service parts and regular parts with the S designation.

Now the S1 and so on, means it's a display part, kinda like filter packs and anything else that hangs on a peg rack.

Kinda like the internal workings of IH with R1, R2, R3 with the same main part number preceding the R designation. It's an internal tracking/sorting thing from what I've been told by the old guys from IH and the same goes for CNH dropping the DASH between the number and the R thing.

Course you get 5 different stories from 5 guys on the same subject.

So you can basically get any part by the part number without the S, depending if your an end user or dealer. LOL

Harry-I'm assuming that the wiring is probably screwed up but I need to know if my generator is working or not before I start chasing wires. The k321 did come out of a 147 and it has a dipstick on the cam cover and a fill plug on the top of the motor. I haven't been able to do anything to the tractor today because I was helping my dad replace a foundation in 6" of snow! I will hopefully be able to work on it tomorrow afternoon or Friday.

Hydro, I sure hope Jim C. didn't part with his 125!

311167.jpg

311168.jpg

Attachments

• 311168.jpg
    311168.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 311167.jpg
    311167.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 311168.jpg
    311168.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 153
  • 311167.jpg
    311167.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 157
There used to be a gentleman on Evilbay that used to sell reproduced 1x4/5 grille screens. I should have ordered a dozen of them. They were exact replicas so I know that the steel pattern is still available if I can only track it down.

Kraig M. Jim C. can do his magic with my 125 anytime.
happy.gif

125 Cub Cadets rule
buttrock.gif
ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 148
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 140
  • buttrock.gif
    buttrock.gif
    439 bytes · Views: 140
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 139
  • buttrock.gif
    buttrock.gif
    439 bytes · Views: 150
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 138
Kraig - Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - I should'a known you'd know who I was talking about. I sure hope Jim C still has that 125. She was a beaut!

I don't remember why it was he put those whee'-bara (Massachusetts accent implied) tires on the front. It may have just been an early thing (waiting on original tires he likely did come up with - he had a real nack for finding NLA stuff).

Did you notice the speed control lever has those "red colored" insert bars? Only one I've ever seen that way - and it was NOS (and no he didn't paint them either - I do know he did put runs in the paint on the insides of the frames just like the factory, but that may have only been on Originals, not sure about other models).

Can you see what IH Dealer name is on the decal on the side of the dash tower?

Latest posts

Back