• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 13, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonathan:
I use Lowe’s Tap & die sets, not real expensive but they are guaranteed if you break a drill or tap take the set back and they will give you a new set.

Larry E., Now if we can only get them to guarantee to get them out when they bust off........

Jeff B. Send me the yard's phone number and some information. It isn't so much the insurance or other legal stuff it is just the yard's rules and regulations. I learned that one a LONG time ago. Scrap is scrap and everything has a price. It is just being able to negogiate. I'll try my best with them. You may have to pick it up for me though if I'm successful.

JEFF B. - Yes, "I saw the light", that's why I've got two NF GD's, a 47 and a 44 yr old one in the shop right now. I will admit I have a WF Hydro too but the old GD's pull all the heavy draft loads. Thousands of Thousands of garden tractor pullers can't all be wrong.

The WF center frame cover makes Hydro repair & service easy, but you never have to work on GD's, plus most GD's don't mark their territory like most Hydro's do.

On the taps & dies discussion, my metric set is Craftsman, and have never broke anything. My SAE set is mostly Irwin replacement pieces now and it's had a hard hard life. Stuff like 1/4", 5/16", & 3/8" taps I buy 2-3 at a time. They get dull, don't cut good threads then break.

Interesting story about taps, company I used to work for I ordered 300-400 steel bars to be machined for scrap shredder hammer pins. Bars were annealed alloy steel and got drilled & tapped with 2" 4-1/2 TPI threads in one end only. They drilled/tapped 150-200 bars then finally broke the tap and couldn't get the end of the broken tap out. Typical repair was to weld the hole closed with the tap still in and drill/tap the other end. So they reversed the bar and drilled and tried tapping the other end with a brand new tap. Broke the new tap off in the other end. We ended up cutting the bar off to make the next shorter size and welding the one hole up. Armed with 3 new taps they started tapping the now shorter problem bar and no problems the third time, plus ran the rest of the bars with that tap. Back 30 yrs ago those taps were $150 EACH, so that one bar was expensive for the shop in time, labor, and added tooling expense.

There's a reason most machine shops have a special machine called a Tap Remover, it's a plug EDM machine that burns the old broken tap out of parts without destroying the parts or damaging the threads. Last co. I worked at they machined a boat load of small diameter threads in varoius brass alloys and they had one. Certain brass alloys can be very hard to tap.

wondering about a 125, it's a NF correct? W/mechanical PTO, right?
Is this a desirable unit?
Have a chance to get one W/deck and snow blade but the price is a little steep, I think.
Perhaps some of you guys can educate me on this model a bit, pros and cons. At this point, I wouldn't know one if it were to run over me!!

Thanks!
Dave S.

Dennis you must of been blinded some when you saw the light LOL

I did like the GD 128 and 1200 I had but when the clutch wore out I did not want to replace it and my other operators prefer the non shifting hydro---Hydro Harry help me out here because Tom will side with Dennis

Marlin sent it thru email and good luck, I am close enough to pick it up and store it

David, the 125 has a 12hp Kohler with hydrostatic drive. It's a Narrow Frame and yes it has a mechanical PTO.

248932.jpg

I think most here know my opinion of the 125:

248933.jpg

And to those that don't agree with me that the 125 is Cub Cadet perfection I offer this:

Slant%20Tongue.gif

I admit replacing my toasted clutch was a bit of a pain...

248936.jpg

(still an occasional rattle I need to locate though)
...but I still dread having to fix my sloppy buckin' bronco hydro too. In fact its so bad now I can't really even use the tractor. Just need to find the time to do it, as I want to use it for snow patrol. Hope its not the trunion thing, that looks like an absolute PITA to fix.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By jeff l baker (Jbaker) on Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 08:58 am:

Dennis you must of been blinded some when you saw the light LOL

I did like the GD 128 and 1200 I had but when the clutch wore out I did not want to replace it and my other operators prefer the non shifting hydro---Hydro Harry help me out here because Tom will side with Dennis<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Jeff, Still holding tight on the GD's. Dennis and I are together on this

Latest posts

Back