• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 11, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
22949.jpg

The 1961 Cub Cadet We had the mulch plate AND the pulley covers were both yellow. I think Dad still has the mulch plate in the canvas/burlap bag it was in when delivered with the tractor. Sure wish We had some color pictures if it....

Finished the drive shaft upgrade modification on my 1450 and since I'm a shade tree mechanic I thought you might like to see some of the steps, and maybe I can sneak in a piece of cardboard on you.

Had to build a jig to be able to drill the holes in the drive shaft. Used some scrap iron and an old drive shaft coupler. I clamp it in my drill press line it up then insert the shaft and drill it.

22951.jpg

Since this is an early 1450 it uses the 5/8 ball in the rear coupler so I had to cut the indentation in the shaft rear end so I got to use my metal lathe. I used standard rag joint couplers and one of the old 1xx flex couplers and one of the newer quietline flex couplers. You have to use one of the newer ones to fit in the coupler and then you can use one of the older ones that are stronger to back it up.

22952.jpg

The rear coupler installed with the double flex rubbers. Since the dimensions change on the bolts I had to go to a 1/2 height lock nut or else use a long bolt which I did on the front and it looks crappy.

22953.jpg

The front coupler with the double flex joints. I had already installed the long bolts here and didn't want to tear everything apart so they will stay until next time I have it apart and then I will go with the shorter bolts and the 1/2 height lock nuts, or check with a large bolt company to get the correct size bolts. I've noticed IH liked to use some odd size bolts.

22954.jpg

Now I am ready to fill the hydro and give it a good test. It should prevent the oblong wear on the rag joints and I hope it doesn't add vibration to the shaft.

22955.jpg

Steve B. You're partly right!
happy.gif

22957.jpg

I do have a blue & white 123! But there isn't a deck on it right now at least!
happy.gif
If you need a photo of the carriage I use with the 44 deck, I'll take one an post it. It's in the next room here.

I had it out this afternoon using the roller and then drained the water out of the roller so it won't freeze tonight. Supposed to get really cold. "Getting ready for Winter! "
I think today being Veterans Day this is a good day to post this photo in honor of all the Veterans that served our country & the good ol' Red, White & Blue!

(Message edited by jlang on November 11, 2004)

Looks great Richard, and perfect timing as that was the next step on my 109 fix-up. Good pictures and info! Being you had to drill and machine, did you use a standard piece of 5/8 shaft?

John

}I hope someone here can help (I am a new Cub Cadet owner). I have a 1250 Hydrostatic that is not currently running. I need to move it about 100 feet to work on it and know that it's not supposed to be "towed". What is the proper/easiest way to move it? Thanks... Mark

Mark M,
The proper/easiest way would be to lift the rear end up and move it that way.
BUT, if your 1250 have the lever on the side of the tunnel cover and the flapper is not broken off and or missing, lift the lever to release the valves and push it around that way. If it has automatic release valves, byt that I mean one's that do not have the little buttons in the centers. After setting, they will bleed down and you can move it that way.
Rumor and manuals say your not supposed to pull them very far, BUT, believe me, it won't hurt to pull it. Some guys even pull'um at HIGH SPEED!
22960.jpg

And I mean HIGH SPEED!
eek.gif

a short shaft and a mock up set screw locked coupler and a cordless drill work good too
happy.gif
You can ride / steer it while moving it (no 4 wheeler needed)

Richard C -- I see you're still the cardboard guru
happy.gif

Well I think I am ready for snow season th begin.
got the new electric lift installed on the 122.
22973.jpg

chains and weights,
22974.jpg

and gave it a test run in the garden.
22975.jpg

Got the 23-10.50-12 on the 102,
22976.jpg

upgraded to 1" front spindles,
22977.jpg

all thats left to do is hook up the back blade.
Oh yeh, got the 3235 ready for snow season also.
22978.jpg

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Richard C.,

Nice job on the flex couplings and new drive shaft. I appreciate all of your contributions to hydro upgrades.

I'd never classify you as a shade tree mechanic!

Lonny Buttke! Nice job, Look's like you're ready for winter for sure! Nice work!
happy.gif

But are you ready to plant sweetcorn???
happy.gif

John G.
I used a piece of 5/8 cold rolled steel for the drive shaft. When I am satisfied with it I am probably going to make one out of 4140 steel that I ordered. The 4140 is pretty expensive so I want to make my mistakes on something cheaper.

Mark M.
I wouldn't worry about towing a hydro for a short distance but I wouldn't tow one fast or for long distances. I asked the shop manager of my local Cub dealer the other day what he had seen in the way of hydro failures. He said mostly just seal replacement but he had seen more than one destroyed by towing with a pickup. This is what breaks, the little brass ends go all to pieces. I've heard tell you can accomplish the same thing if your cub accidently rolls off the back of your trailer while going down the highway.

22985.jpg

Like the new layout. . .lots of nooks and crannies to explore.

Cub time has been minimal lately, but can't complain -- been replaced by this guy (and his 3 month old lil' brother):

22988.jpg

He also likes. . .scratch that, LOVES Jeeps:

22989.jpg

Had the day off to honor our Veterans, so I decided to get the Cub storage shed whipped into shape. I really added to my floor and shelf space by making these simple deck racks, keeps them out of the way!!!

22991.jpg

The front deck eyes are securely attached to the wall via hook/eye/chain for safety.

Really makes for more space in the shed...

22992.jpg

22993.jpg

22994.jpg

Plenty of space, even with all of the tractors inside...

22995.jpg

22996.jpg

(Mean looking line up!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
)

I have just installed a used hydraulic system on my 129 and I have a question for someone.
The clevis assembly that attaches the cylinder to the lift arm has a pin and a second hole for a bolt. If the bolt is put in, it will be solid, if it is left out, it will pivit on the pin when the cylinder retracts. The manual does not show the bolt.
To me it appears the if the bolt left out it would ride up free and if the bolt is in the cylinder would hold it down. (to some extent)
Am I correct with thought or is there some other reason?
The big question is - Should the bolt be in?
If not, does someone know why it should not be in?

Earl,

The "bolt" you reference is exactly what you think it's for, and is called the "float lock-out pin". 99% of the time it should be left out, as the weight of the implement will keep the linkage "in place" and the "float" feature is very desireable for mowing, plowing, pushing snow, blowing snow, etc.

Also took some pictures of the whole line-up before I put them back in the shed....

22998.jpg

22999.jpg

23000.jpg

John Lang>
Sweet corn planting work will have to waite until next spring. than all I need to do is go over the ground with the disk befor planting to loosen up the ground a bit.

Guys, I have a question. I am trying to free up the brake lever on the tranny of the 1250. How does the pin that holds that thing in come out? I can beat it side to side a little but it wont push out.It is all frozen up and the brake pedal won't return up. I need to get all those links apart and free the whole system up. I will probably tear down my 1200 tomorrow morning and make up a parts list to finish this project up. Thanks for the help. Paul

Back