• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 01, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccarney

displayname
Craig Carney
Kirk

I've been running mechanically sound uglicubs for years. I don't worry a bit about a scratch or even putting stuff on the handy flat hood!

Ethan-

Take the balance gears and clean them well. Then paint them your favorite color and consider them paper weights. If you do this, make sure you get all of the shims out leaving nothing but the posts.

Most here will say NOT to re-install them. If you're concerned about any added vibration (which should be minimal) there is a balance weight available that requires a small bit of machining on the crank.

Bout time to dig out my main DEEP snow machine from summer storage and get it parked somewhere a little easier to get into action. The ol' 1450 did not get much use last year IIRC, but it's Iowa and anything can happen.

Charlie, You gonna be shipping again on Monday??

317979.jpg

317980.jpg

Wayne ok thanks for that info that will make my reassembly a little easier...I’ve seen on here that most guys are not a fan of them,and I’m not worried at all about added vibrations

Ethan K,

Kohler produced most of the QL engines w/o balance gears due to the past problems of them becoming grenade gears and ventilating the sides of blocks on the 1X6/7 and 1X8/9 Series. To address the added vibration issue the QL models utilized iso-mounted rails to support the engine and the low idle speed was increased to >1000 RPM's.

Kirk, your "tractor from parts" should be an inspiration to the rest of us! (Sorry, Hydro Harry). Your phrase "It all fit together nicely" is one to remember.
happy.gif
smile.gif

Ethan, Kraig,

A snow thrower in this area???
It's bound to be in good shape!!
biggrin.gif

The guy I bought it from said he put new bearings in it. It does turn real smooth.

Would look nice on the 100 when they are finished.
Guess this means I am going to need some more 935 white!

Marty-needing more 935 is a good thing that means your busy. Ron- ok that’s great info,the balance gears on this motor I’m rebuilding are history thanks all for the advise

FWIW:

317983.jpg

Multiple tasking: Seeing how big a pic will post, hoping this is the "proper" grille for the 73, wanting to say that there's a difference in grille springs (I played around for quite awhile before it came together easily)
happy.gif

Frank, that's the grill screen from a 72, 1x4/5 series. The 73, 1x6/7 series would have vertical bars in the mesh design.

317985.jpg

Marty, if you mount that QA42 on a 100 be sure to use the proper bolts. Especially on the left side. If you use a hex head bolt in the rear position the drag link will hit it where it attaches to the steering spindle cap if the axle pivots while turning.

317987.jpg

Well I guess the 169 is going to sit in the corner of the shop for a while. I'm going to pull the engine and just see how bad the damage is and if it may be repairable. I still have my 149 cub project I need to finish up. Still undecided what to do.
dunno.gif

Thanks, Kraig!

317990.jpg

Partially because of the way this 73 came in here (Mom taught me that it's rude to sell a gift) and partially because I like the little beast, it's here to stay. It was well taken care of by its former owners - all I've done for it is replace belts, air filter, hood rollers, added tri ribs and ag tires from a 123 that needs a head gasket "when I get around to it" -- and a suicide knob that IMHO no tractor should be without.
happy.gif

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the new Autolite 216 that replaced the Champion not H10C that was in it. The 216 was a freebie in my last order from CCSpecialties. Not the first time that's happened - made me think that Charlie is trying single-handedly to get all these old Kohlers firing with 216's.
happy.gif

R.E.Woods-

That's good news about the 169 living on. I'm sure you won't regret the decision.

If you've never used a 149 you are going to be pleased. It's the favorite of several members here including myself. It's basically a 169 with a different air cleaner and a more affordable muffler/heat shield. Plus it only has 9 head bolts instead of 10 which means it has a lot of interchangeable parts with a K301. If you plan to do work on the engine I'd go ahead and remove the grenade gears.

I hope the K341 shows promise and can be repaired.

I'm in a good mood now that I'm on the backside of a colonoscopy PLUS an endoscopy...a twofer! I'm getting ready to scramble about a dozen eggs and try to get back to normal.

I've been working on this 129 project as of late. I had a rebuilt engine on the bench and I went through the trunion slot and cam plates a couple of years ago. It may be a unit to sell but having backup mowers is always a plus.

317995.jpg

317996.jpg

317997.jpg

I'll post more pics as things progress.

And thanks again Charlie/Kraig for the "simplifying" of posting pics. I sure hope it's here to stay.

Marty-

Nice score on the snow handler. It's the first I've read about in NC. According to the amount of acorns on the ground you might just get a chance to use it this year (if it doesn't go to the trailer queen class).

R E Woods-I’ll take that 169 off your hands if you’d like lol

<font size="+2">FRANK!!!!!!
</font> (and Kraig for that matter)

I don't want to start something, er, well maybe I do. I don't believe that Autolite 216 Sparkplug should be used in the 7hp or 8hp Kohler (like your 73). It should be a Champion J8C. I know Charlie's site calls out the 216 as a replacement for the J8C and H10C but he does say for 10-16hp engines (he doesn't mention 7 or 8hp).

And Frank - you stated the following in a message:
"tractor from parts" should be an inspiration to the rest of us! (Sorry, Hydro Harry). Your phrase "It all fit together nicely" is one to remember

What's the story with this??? Making a tractor from other tractor parts is fine with me. It still works for my tag line. The unused parts will just keep resting. Everyone on this site has gotta work hard to keep these units out of the scrap yards. I did my job and found my 169 there.

R.E. Woods - every once and awhile you do see a K341 block or even a full engine from a 169 or 1650 come up on the usual suspect web sites. The "Puller" guys especially like the this block if it has 13 cooling fins since the cylinder has enough meat to bore it to nearly 4". The 12 fin version can't make that much. Most but not all of the 169s got a 13 fin. Some of the early 1650s got a 13 fin. With the number of 1650 production units I have to think you could find a good K341 block.

Don't be fooled by the engine shroud tag on the 1650 which calls out the Kohler Model K341AQS. You can definitely use this block in your 169 but you'll have to use your original flywheel, shroud, S/G, PTO and other stuff. Blocks from other brand tractors generally won't work, or you'll have to cut ears off the base, etc. Let us know what you decide to do.

Wayne - I've had my 169 running a few times now since I had Dave C remove the balance gears and add the David Kirk balance plate. Just run enough to do the head torque before I realized my torque wrench stopped clicking - so I still need to do that. Then I need to finish up the timing - my light shows it's real close but not exact yet. Then I have to finish up the throttle cable adjustment and carb settings for idle and high speed. AND THEN there is the issue with all the paint I scratched up doing all this stuff. I just ain't as good as I used to be about doing this stuff.

I also just realized this Forum is gonna be 20 YEARS OLD next year. I wonder if Charlie is throwing some type of party?????

<u><font size="+1">Harry !!!!!!!</font></u>

You and Kraig making me feel young and innocent again! It was a J8C that I replaced with the 216.
happy.gif

<font size="+2">HARRY and FRANK!!!</font> Don't include me in the sparkplug debate, the thumbs up was for the grill screen.
317999.gif

Latest posts

Back