• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Diamond in the rough

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cub1961

Real rough. early 70 that looks pretty much all original except for the seat. even the tires look original but they are shot. shame because the rears look brand new. i have a few projects ahead of this one but i have been wanting a 70 to fix up and this one is exactly what i wanted. doesn’t run but turns over. condenser wire is missing and who knows what else. i bought it off of a guy who bought it from original owner. it’s been in a barn for years and no idea when it last ran. i think it will clean up nice because it’s just surface rust and lots of grime. i have good results cleaning this stuff with Barkeepers Friend and a power washer. not going to restore it, just clean it and get it mechanically sound. i think the deck is locked up tight so it will get replaced with a spare i have. i’m going to spend a couple hours trying to get it running today but it will get stored until spring. my shop is full.

Attachments

• 974EA0AD-2E9D-4564-A9B6-9FBFDBD5E0E3.jpeg
    974EA0AD-2E9D-4564-A9B6-9FBFDBD5E0E3.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 5B8F9F2D-E8B0-46A4-9599-4C591E990306.jpeg
    5B8F9F2D-E8B0-46A4-9599-4C591E990306.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DFC054BC-5B17-428D-9BC7-32C97B3EA20C.jpeg
    DFC054BC-5B17-428D-9BC7-32C97B3EA20C.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
and i won’t be getting any skeeter bites thanks to the marvel mystery oil i poured in the cylinder. purrs like a kitten but the carb is leaking like a sieve so i shut it down until i figure that out. had no spark at the coil so i pulled the ignition wires and hot wired it and it fired right up. but the throttle and choke cables are froze up so it has a way to go before i take it for a ride. i’m staring at 3 other projects besides the honeydew list but now i’m distracted by this.

pulled the float bowl and hit it with some pblaster and the leak stopped. took it for a quick ride and all 4 gears work. but now the deck belt is smoking so i need to drop that. but after the MM burned out it doesn’t smoke anymore and goes to full throttle and back with no popping, etc. need to figure out what’s hanging the throttle and choke up but after that i think it’s golden. front wheel is kinda floppy so it probably needs a bearing. the more i look at this one the better i like it. all metal is straight and i know i can make this thing shine with some barkeepers friend and a power washer. headlights even work.

runs like a top. these old tractors are pretty amazing. everything works. brakes, gears lights and now i got the throttle freed up. choke still stuck but you don’t even need it. push the button and it’s purring in about a second.

Attachments

• IMG_0758.MOV
    21 MB
Real rough. early 70 that looks pretty much all original except for the seat. even the tires look original but they are shot. shame because the rears look brand new. i have a few projects ahead of this one but i have been wanting a 70 to fix up and this one is exactly what i wanted. doesn’t run but turns over. condenser wire is missing and who knows what else. i bought it off of a guy who bought it from original owner. it’s been in a barn for years and no idea when it last ran. i think it will clean up nice because it’s just surface rust and lots of grime. i have good results cleaning this stuff with Barkeepers Friend and a power washer. not going to restore it, just clean it and get it mechanically sound. i think the deck is locked up tight so it will get replaced with a spare i have. i’m going to spend a couple hours trying to get it running today but it will get stored until spring. my shop is full.
Nice score!
Even has the headlights.
Sweet 70.

yes they are. and finding them in this condition is not easy. most have been rode hard and put away wet or already restored. i like them with original patina and scratches. an added bonus is this one still has the dealer sticker with the old 5 digit dialing. looks like it had the rear light too because there is a grommet in the frame hole and the wire from the light switch is still back there. i’ll probably look for an aftermarket one of those when i clean it up. for now this one moves under it’s own power so that’s good enough.

Back