• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 31, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TERRY D. - Yes, 70/100 grills were painted white. FWIW, the '61 to '63 CC's grills were too.

Hope you have all the pieces & parts to install the grill.

JEREMIAH - Not sure if it was the last owner who "Fudged things up", but whoever it was screwed up more than the governor linkage.

The metal-flake 30W or 10W-30 you drained is NOT a good sign.

Mornin' Guys!
coffee.gif

Had a nice weekend. Beautiful weather and too much stuff to do. Our street fair is starting this week and there was a "kick off" car / garden tractor show Friday night to start things off. Usually my son and I take the Vette up, but since he is just starting out on "his" 782 he wanted to take some Cub Cadets up. Like a dummy
bash.gif
I forgot to take any pics at the show where we were the only ones representing Cub Cadets. Luckily my wife snapped a few shots of us returning home. It's been a few years since the "O" was started and with a little jump start it took right off and ran fine.
beerchug.gif
Jackson done well and I'm so proud of him.
proud.gif

287047.jpg

287048.jpg

287049.jpg

Schultzie..Great looking machines!! Your son looks like he is having a ball!

Dennis, Steve: Yes, the governor linkage is certainly screwed up.

287064.jpg

The front pulley seemed to be OK, but the key was beat up by set screws and a little worn on the sides. and the crank shaft showed signs of multiple set screw "attacks." But I would judge it normal for its age. There was also evidence of silver anti-seize compound on the shaft. The front seal was leaking.

287065.jpg

The story at the rear was more telling. The problem was/is definitely the key --it was VERY worn on the sides and needs to be replaced. The crank itself was in great shape, it was just dirty, with a lot of grit between it and the fly wheel. The fly wheel too, looked good to me. The fact is that the "taper fit" and never been given a chance to seat and/or had easily worked itself loose.

287066.jpg

287067.jpg

The mystery of the sunken head bolts was resolved. The head is a "low boss" replacement for what was originally a "high boss" (or "tall boss") variety.

287068.jpg

287069.jpg

The head gasket was leaking a little bit.

287070.jpg

The cylinder looked good to me, without checking its dimensions:

287071.jpg

287072.jpg

I found it curious that I got almost as much water as oil out of the breather. I think the engine may have been pressure washed; there was plenty of oil crud in the fins on the back side of the block.

287073.jpg

The valves looked OK, although the exhaust valve might be leaking just a bit or about to leak.

287074.jpg

287075.jpg

The bottom end looked OK from the outside, and there was nothing in the pan.

287076.jpg

287077.jpg

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I would like to verify that the governor and governor gear are functioning properly, but I am loathe to pull the crank because that means pulling the piston and possibly the cam shaft out too. However, I'm not sure I can get to the governor without a complete disassembly, which will mean at least new rings and a hone job upon reassembly, although it quickly becomes a question of whether or not I replace the rod too while I have it apart. Half measures never seem to work when it comes to engines, but the full measure takes so much money and time. Ugh.
facepalm.gif

Edit: Shultzie, looks like great fun. I recognize the smile on your face, I have one like yours when I get to ride my Cub Cadet.
smile.gif

Wow, what a nice Original, and 82 Series following! Respect!

I have a grade 8 fine thread bolt holding the drive cup on the crank of my Kohler K241 from my International 100 Cub Cadet. There must be a stud on your crank.

Got a new hood hinge for my 1450! Noise maker good by! Yes, Quiet Lines can be a pleasure to operate!

Good day all !

Jeremiah, nice pictorial

I would put it back together and see if it runs before I pulled the crank IMHO

JEREMIAH - The guy that worked on that CC also worked on Osprey's?
bash.gif

Shultzie,
Neat pics. That is what it's all about, father/son time, getting the next generation involved. My son's 10 and loves driving around the "super smoker" (1782). Can't get him off it.
1AA_dance2.gif

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Jeremiah,
I'm with Jeff. I'd clean things up and put her back together. Run it and see how it sounds, performs. Enjoyed the story with pics. Makes it much easier to follow along.
beerchug.gif

Jeremiah Chamberlin

yes the governor gear can be remove and another one put in place with taking the engine part. I removed the cam cover and with the add of some stiff wire (coat hanger ), I replaced the gear on my 149. used the cam cover hole to push the gear on the stud. don`t forget the washer behind the governor .

Jeremiah C,

The governer gear can be replaced without pulling the crank/camshaft. About year ago or so back I recall someone posting about how they were able to do it with some surgical clamps or something. It wasn't the easiest but I believe they did get it done successfully.

IMHO, you already have the engine pretty much torn down, so I would go ahead and do a full overhaul at this time and you will be good to go for as long as you own it.

Back